Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

7 hours ago, LaCal said:

Great Great review Kim.  

Absolutely Love reading your reviews for years now 

Hope your healing continues and everything goes smooth 

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Thanks for the healing thoughts.

7 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

Thanks, Kim for another great review. I hope everything goes well for Sakari at her new school and that you will keep updating us on your recovery! 😃

Heather

Thanks for saying so Heather. I appreciate it. Day 1 blooper for Sakari at school...her bus passes her up at 6:12am so we have to take her and then the teachers don't know what bus to put her on to come home and misses it again. The principal ended up bringing her home. Day 2...she finally catches the bus. However, she has a very long 1 hr 45 min ride to/from school. It's ridiculous! But so far she likes the school.

6 hours ago, blarko said:

Another enjoyable review by the Queen!  With all the changes you’ve noticed, what are your thoughts about cruising with NCL for future cruises?  

Aww thanks! I will probably cruise with the again but a different ship and I don't know when it will be. I will probably seek more cruises with RC and Carnival most likely in the future unless NCL happens to have a ship going somewhere I want (that I haven't sailed on before) during the time frame that I can go. It's really all about the timing and itinerary for me at this point.

6 hours ago, dreamer976 said:

As always, Kim ...

BRAVO! 👏👏👏  

So, when’s the next one???  I’m feeling withdrawal already. 😢  Love your trip reports!

Ellen

Awww shucks! Thanks!  

I'm already not sure when the next one will be. We usually go in November/December, but now with Sakari at a new school, I'm not so sure how they will feel about taking her out for a week to "cruise". They might not be so lenient as elementary school. So, that would limit me to only during the breaks (Winter and Spring) and with my leg...I don't even know if it will be healed and me walking good enough by then. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Wonderful review.  I hate that you had to wait for others so long in Cozumel.  That always upsets us because we have never been late but have had to wait for others.  Love the pictures of Sakari having fun that day though.  Once again I would like to say thank you for your review.

Yea, I'm almost always on time and to have to wait gets a little frustrating. I'm just glad they gave us extra time and the trip was so worth it.

Thanks so much for your comments.

4 hours ago, mopedmom1 said:

Thanks for taking us along Kim! I hope you keep us up on your recovery.  May it be speedy and uncomplicated. 

Hey no problem and glad you were here. I definitely will keep everyone posted.

4 hours ago, Von & John said:

Thanks for taking us on your cruise...  it was a fabulous trip!

Hope Sakari is enjoying Art school & you are healing quickly...

Hopefully you are done w/ the pain creeping up & smacking you in the head period!

You are welcome and thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

So far she is enjoying school and I can't wait for my next check up to get this darn cast off next week.

Not done with the pain at all. First thing in the morning is terrible and last thing at night but I am pushing through it.

3 hours ago, jjjct said:

Have read many of your excellent reviews, this one included. I noticed that your drinks had a straw in them. Last NCL cruise I took was last summer and straws were banned. Did you bring your own? Hope you make a full a fast recovery!

Thanks and glad you were here and enjoyed it.

No, we didn't bring the straws. They provided them. They are the crappy paper straws that once they get wet they start to get flimsy and bend...and eventually fall apart. I hated them. That was another things I forgot to mention.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Thanks for the healing thoughts.

Thanks for saying so Heather. I appreciate it. Day 1 blooper for Sakari at school...her bus passes her up at 6:12am so we have to take her and then the teachers don't know what bus to put her on to come home and misses it again. The principal ended up bringing her home. Day 2...she finally catches the bus. However, she has a very long 1 hr 45 min ride to/from school. It's ridiculous! But so far she likes the school.

Aww thanks! I will probably cruise with the again but a different ship and I don't know when it will be. I will probably seek more cruises with RC and Carnival most likely in the future unless NCL happens to have a ship going somewhere I want (that I haven't sailed on before) during the time frame that I can go. It's really all about the timing and itinerary for me at this point.

Awww shucks! Thanks!  

I'm already not sure when the next one will be. We usually go in November/December, but now with Sakari at a new school, I'm not so sure how they will feel about taking her out for a week to "cruise". They might not be so lenient as elementary school. So, that would limit me to only during the breaks (Winter and Spring) and with my leg...I don't even know if it will be healed and me walking good enough by then. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yea, I'm almost always on time and to have to wait gets a little frustrating. I'm just glad they gave us extra time and the trip was so worth it.

Thanks so much for your comments.

Hey no problem and glad you were here. I definitely will keep everyone posted.

You are welcome and thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

So far she is enjoying school and I can't wait for my next check up to get this darn cast off next week.

Not done with the pain at all. First thing in the morning is terrible and last thing at night but I am pushing through it.

Thanks and glad you were here and enjoyed it.

No, we didn't bring the straws. They provided them. They are the crappy paper straws that once they get wet they start to get flimsy and bend...and eventually fall apart. I hated them. That was another things I forgot to mention.

Thanks for another great review, Kim! As always, I enjoyed virtually cruising along with you and your family. 

I’m keeping this thread bookmarked so I’ll be able to see any updates on your foot. I hope you have a full recovery and are back on your feet soon. 

9 hours ago, BigNance said:

Thanks for an entertaining review!  Also, loved your pix!!  You do a lot of work on these reviews and it shows.

I hope your recovery proceeds quickly and smoothly.  Good luck with that!!

You are welcome and thanks for the comments.

6 hours ago, perfect match said:

Thanks for another great review, Kim! As always, I enjoyed virtually cruising along with you and your family. 

I’m keeping this thread bookmarked so I’ll be able to see any updates on your foot. I hope you have a full recovery and are back on your feet soon. 

Thank you so  much and glad you enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, CateW said:

Great review!   I hope your recovery goes well and you are up and around asap and are pain free.  

Thank you so much.

23 hours ago, bunnyette said:

Sorry to hear of your horrible accident!  I hope all goes well with your physio.  Another super review.   Have you ever thought of doing a Mediterranean cruise?  Lots of beaches there!  I’d love to see a review like that.

Thank you so much and thanks for the compliments.

I have thought (and even booked) a Mediterranean cruise once. Then I ended up cancelling because a lot of people on here didn't seem to think it was a good match for our water snorkeling diving beach loving family. They said the water is a lot colder there and the waves are pretty powerful. So, I ended up cancelling and booking another Caribbean at that point. I would like to give it a shot though. Maybe some day soon.

21 hours ago, DeanDeeDee said:

Thanks so much for sharing your cruise.  Your pictures were fabulous!  I will be looking for any future cruises you are willing to share.  Thanks again!😄

Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed it. If you haven't read my other cruise reviews...I have tons of them. Easy to navigate on my website as well. http://mitsubishigirl19.wixsite.com/mitsugirlys-cruise  It has all of them listed.

5 hours ago, boomhower said:

We are a Carnival for now but always follow your reviews.  Appreciate the time and effort you put into them. Wishing you a quick recovery!

Aww thanks and glad you are here. Thanks for the quick recovery thoughts. I appreciate it.

Wonderful review as always Kim! I can't believe how big Sakari is getting! I hope your recovery is going well and the pain is lessening.

I've booked 2 cruises on the Carnival Sunshine to Nassau & Half Moon Cay in December with my 78 year old mom and one at the end of January for our Christmas present & my son's 18th birthday. We're thrilled to be able to just drive less than 2 hours to the port.  It will just be my mom 's 2nd cruise & first to the Caribbean so I'm off to do research on Nassau excursions on your website!

We were on the Breakaway last week.  They did have the towel exchange at each port.  When you took the towel, they took your room #.  One day we returned them and he didn't want our room #.  We asked how they would know we returned the towels and they just said they didn't need it.  I seriously doubt they have a system to check.   It's the "honor system" so anyone could make up a cabin #.   You can also get them from your room steward.

22 hours ago, bunnyette said:

We once had a great beach day in Mallorca...way back in 1999.  The water was warm.  We took the local bus.  I think we had way more fun then those who went sightseeing.

I will definitely have to consider booking another Mexican Riviera cruise again. I at least have to try it I suppose.

10 hours ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

Wonderful review as always Kim! I can't believe how big Sakari is getting! I hope your recovery is going well and the pain is lessening.

I've booked 2 cruises on the Carnival Sunshine to Nassau & Half Moon Cay in December with my 78 year old mom and one at the end of January for our Christmas present & my son's 18th birthday. We're thrilled to be able to just drive less than 2 hours to the port.  It will just be my mom 's 2nd cruise & first to the Caribbean so I'm off to do research on Nassau excursions on your website!

Thank you so much! She has grown so much just since last Christmas. She couldn't even fit any of her summer clothes this past Spring Break cruise and I had to go buy all new for that cruise. I feel like she's going to pass me up within the next year at this point.

I would give anything to be able to just drive 2 hours to the port. I would have a lot more cruises under my belt if that was the case (so I guess that could be dangerous for my wallet). LOL

I hope you find something great to do with your mom and son. Happy cruising.

5 hours ago, samzing said:

We were on the Breakaway last week.  They did have the towel exchange at each port.  When you took the towel, they took your room #.  One day we returned them and he didn't want our room #.  We asked how they would know we returned the towels and they just said they didn't need it.  I seriously doubt they have a system to check.   It's the "honor system" so anyone could make up a cabin #.   You can also get them from your room steward.

Yea, they did that once to me at the towel hut by the pool too. I insisted they write my cabin number down on their page...just in case. But I just got the feeling they really aren't monitoring it.

5 hours ago, Von & John said:

Kim  --  Thinking of you & checking in to see how you & the ankle, foot, leg are doing? 

Coming right up...doctor appointment today.

4 hours ago, pghsteelerfan said:

Oh wow, I've got a LOT of catching up to do!  I remember you were going on a cruise this month but didn't know when.  I haven't been on CC for a while (trying to be productive...lol!!!).  Looking forward to reading this one. 

Yes, yes you do! LOL I hope you enjoy it.

So those that are wanting an update on my leg.

I did my follow-up with my ortho doctor today. The cast was removed...whew! (They commented on "there must be an artist in the family"....Sakari did me up good with palm trees, dolphins and so on while the hubby drew me a stick figure with a mangeled leg saying "ouch". LOL ) There's a lot of swelling, but I have to say it LQQKS a lot better I think. The fracture blister has reduced in size and I could tell by the burning every so often that it was "leaking" fluid. There seems to be a pocket that looks to be full of blood hanging in it still. They said to just let it continue to drain on its own.

They removed my stitches and then applied a walking boot. No walking or pressure on it for the next 6 weeks. At that time, they will take xrays and start PT and apply a little walking here and there.

At the 4 month mark, I will have outpatient surgery to remove the plate on my exterior right side (that was only applied to pull my upper bone back into place for the fib fracture and align everything up so that they could repair the ligaments torn on that side to heal) and they will remove the 2 screws holding the tib and fib together as well. They will not be removing the interior left side plate where the ankle, leg and ligament was severely mangled.

Tomorrow I go for an ultrasound due to concerns of a possible blood clot with some pain and feeling I've been having in the back of my leg calf area. So I'm hoping for the best and hoping it's just due to the extreme swelling of my leg. My leg has swollen so much that it has caused bruising, in a round circle, around the top of where the cast was at all the way to the back of my posterior knee area.

So for now...just more rest. I hate this feeling. I feel like my leg and foot are going to pop. My skin is so taut and the edema is the entire lower leg and foot.  I tried icing it today and despite having it on for 20 minutes and feeling like my skin was frozen solid, it still felt warm to the touch. But, no signs of infection. I can't even use my knee scooter yet because I'm unable to bend my leg at a 90 degree angle to put it on the scooter. 😕   Lots of time and healing in my future.

On a better note, my work was excited when I asked if there was any work I could possibly do from home while I'm not able to see my patients....TONS AND TONS of work. So, at least I'll be able to keep myself occupied.

Excitement builds...

E6EACECE-37B3-4764-A43C-FEEB862C0AEC-L.j

Pregnant seahorse...I guess it's a boy...(this picture doesn't look half as bad as what it really is in person)

B2C2B069-0B41-4E6B-B25A-5F4A951CDB28-L.j

Stitches out...

B0087637-0B2C-447B-8F27-A9B0572358EF-L.j

Fracture blister has blood in it now and hanging

E41235FE-3A8F-48F4-8481-D520FFB05595-L.j

Momma got a new pair of shoes...well, not exactly a "pair"....

039A121C-C214-4442-A7CA-503CA07ABFCF-L.j

Rest and ice...

A7452613-E9B3-4C81-8F1A-F04717081A59-L.j

Edited by mitsugirly
  • Like 1

Fabulous review as always Kim.  That's great news that you can do some work online and at home, that will certainly help keep you busy. 

Glad that the reports are good on your leg and wish you continued & successful healing!  It does look incredibly painful and understand what you're saying about that taut feeling from my previous injuries, however, none quite as spectacular as yours!

2 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Here I sit in the ER after getting my ultrasound that revealed I have 2 boot clots. One in my calf and one behind the knee. 😭 I just knew it...😔

Oh Darn...hang in there...dh had blood clot in leg and lung...they both cleared up...you will get past all of this...positive thoughts and prayers...

16 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

On a better note, my work was excited when I asked if there was any work I could possibly do from home while I'm not able to see my patients....TONS AND TONS of work. So, at least I'll be able to keep myself occupied.

THAT's great news!

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Here I sit in the ER after getting my ultrasound that revealed I have 2 boot clots. One in my calf and one behind the knee. 😭 I just knew it...😔

THAT's terrible news.

• Like 1