How many shoes do you bring?

racnwdow

🤔hummm depends on our length of cruises and travel on land. I’m female and waterproof low rise walking trek shoes, 3 pairs of my Tommy Bahama relaxology slip on sandals and a pair of black Tori Burch ballet flats for dinners or going out!

Denise😊 

20 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

2 pairs of walking shoes.  I pair of sandals that double as water shoes.  1 pair of dress shoes.  That's it, regardless of how long the trip is.

Female.

Thats generally my go to set also. Depending on the itinerary, my walking shoes will be either sneakers or high top walking shows. I'll also include a set of moccasins for cabin wear.  

Male. 

Unfortunately the DW has foot issues, so she needs multiple sets of walking shoes (3 or 4) in order to get around every day. 

Recent changes in my Shoe Department:

I finally admitted to myself that I won't be working out in the gym on a cruise, so eliminated athletic shoes and now substitute waterproof Teva low "hikers."  These are really comfortable for long days of walking.

And...I finally admitted that I'm old.  So now no more heels for gala nights. One pair of low-heeled black shoes can suffice for all dinners.

And...love that the light, thin, basic Havaianas are in style.  Those things are great for pool, shower, and in place of slippers.

So it boils down to three or sometimes four.  I agree with Cruisemom42 that if one has "problem" feet, it's good to have an extra pair.  Even good shoes can fall apart at the strangest times.  (Thinking of Thailand when all my mosquito repellant basically dissolved my shoes.  LOL)

• Like 3

Male (DH)-- 1 pair New Balance walking shoes (wears on the plane); 1 pair teva sandals; 1 pair boat shoes (for casual dinner),; 1 pair black shoes (to wear with tux)

Female (me) -- 1 pair Easy Spirit walking shoes (wear on plane); 1 pair lighter walking shoe: 1 pair sandals (for casual dinner); 1 pair low heels (for formal dress).

How I wish I could do just 3 pairs!  I have lots of foot problems and can never tell whether a pair that was comfortable yesterday will be comfortable today.  I usually take 6 to be on the safe side.  I have a pair of flats with a Velcro strap that can be worn with or without socks.  They are my go to for plane travel as they are easily removable.  I take two pairs of trainers (Asics plus my skecher ones which are fairly light weight). I take one pair of high heel sandals for dinner (usually either platform ones or I have a pair of Crocs that are inch and a half heel and very comfortable; Crocs used to make "real" shoes, but they don't anymore.) Then usually two pairs of flat sandals (Abeos or Naots) for casual days, dinners and around the cabin.  That many shoes means I have to be careful about the rest of the things I pack. I wear one pair, put one pair of sandals in my carryon and the other four in my checked luggage. The only time my luggage was overweight was when I added some Raven's Brew coffee and some canned salmon to my luggage in Alaska.  Whoops.

My husband does two pair normally, wears his New Balance trainers on the plane and packs his dress shoes. Occasionally he will add sandals, but not always.  I am jealous; his suitcase usually weighs less than mine.

St. Louis Sal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

How I wish I could do just 3 pairs!  I have lots of foot problems and can never tell whether a pair that was comfortable yesterday will be comfortable today.  I usually take 6 to be on the safe side.  I have a pair of flats with a Velcro strap that can be worn with or without socks.  They are my go to for plane travel as they are easily removable.  I take two pairs of trainers (Asics plus my skecher ones which are fairly light weight). I take one pair of high heel sandals for dinner (usually either platform ones or I have a pair of Crocs that are inch and a half heel and very comfortable; Crocs used to make "real" shoes, but they don't anymore.) Then usually two pairs of flat sandals (Abeos or Naots) for casual days, dinners and around the cabin.  That many shoes means I have to be careful about the rest of the things I pack. I wear one pair, put one pair of sandals in my carryon and the other four in my checked luggage. The only time my luggage was overweight was when I added some Raven's Brew coffee and some canned salmon to my luggage in Alaska.  Whoops.

My husband does two pair normally, wears his New Balance trainers on the plane and packs his dress shoes. Occasionally he will add sandals, but not always.  I am jealous; his suitcase usually weighs less than mine.

St. Louis Sal

I have VERY bad feet too and I have to take Vionics or Abeos.   This cruise I am taking five pair and a good thing is they are not heavy shoes.

• Like 1

Male

I bring a pair of walking/running shoes to walk with, which I wear on the plane as they are heavy, a pair or flip flops for swimming/beach/in cabin use, a pair of sneakers to go with my jeans for dinner on non gala nights and a pair of black comfy semi-dress shoes for gala night or to go out to dinner while in port or on the pre-cruise portion of the trip.  

1 hour ago, racnwdow said:

Do you think with age and cruise experience the need for many shoes diminishes.  I don't feel the need to have so many any more.  Bare necessities works for me.

You may be on to something there, but it could also have something to do with learning how to pack in similar color families.
I used to bring shoes to go with every outfit, but they were different colors. As time has gone on I learned to buy lighter weight, lighter color, clothes which all take bone color shoes perfectly. A large assortment of shoe clips makes the shoes look different every night, and ties the shoes to the outfit.  

• Like 3

I take my trail runners - they are pretty multifunctional.  I take one of my pairs of Jambu shoes - they serve well walking around gowns, on the beach, at dinner.  If I am going to be heavily beach, I may take my Teva sandals.  If I am going to be heavily rough terrain, I may take my Keen approach shoes (basically hiking boot but low-cut like a trail runner).  I have never seen the need to have so many shoes on a vacation - I'm not a fashion plate, I'm a practical girl.

• Like 1

We're in Fort Lauderdale and usually cruise out of Port Everglades, so luggage isn't an issue.

Assuming a 10-14 day cruise, I (♂) will take 1 pair a sneakers, 1 pair of boat shoes, 2 pairs of dress shoes, formal shoes for my tux if I pack it, and a pair of beach sandals or aqua shoes.

My wife will probably take sneakers, beach sandals/aqua shoes, and almost as many pairs of shoes as there are days on the cruise. (She takes her "shoe-tcase" as a carry on.) She also takes a pretty decent selection of purses.

We'll also take flippers if we plan on snorkeling, although we don't really count them as shoes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

We're in Fort Lauderdale and usually cruise out of Port Everglades, so luggage isn't an issue.

Assuming a 10-14 day cruise, I (♂) will take 1 pair a sneakers, 1 pair of boat shoes, 2 pairs of dress shoes, formal shoes for my tux if I pack it, and a pair of beach sandals or aqua shoes.

My wife will probably take sneakers, beach sandals/aqua shoes, and almost as many pairs of shoes as there are days on the cruise. (She takes her "shoe-tcase" as a carry on.) She also takes a pretty decent selection of purses.

We'll also take flippers if we plan on snorkeling, although we don't really count them as shoes

Ahh yes, living close to the port is nice. When HAL and Cunard had a more frequent presence in NYC, I could pack as many shoes and outfits as I wanted.  

Male:

1 pair of walking shoes that I am wearing

1 pair of walking shoes just in case shoes get wet or for a change of pace

1 pair of regular shoes for Pinnacle Grill/Tamarind dinners

1 pair of flip flops for pool and beach

Female.  If traveling to somewhere warm, I wear Nike sneakers on the plane, pack a pair of flip-flops and a pair of water shoes.  If going somewhere colder, I substitute a dressy pair of flats for the flip-flops.  So 3 pairs total.  My husband wears sneakers & packs a pair of dress shoes & a pair of more casual loafers.  He also takes water shoes.

I wear trainers for plane, walking, gym etc., Teva sandal for walking, pool,  etc., Tieks black ballet for dining room and maybe a pair flip flops.  I have switched to carry-on back pack for luggage and try to keep it at 24 pounds or less regardless of length of trip. So, 3 maybe 4.