Hong Kong Protests

Jamietravelstheworld

I'm taking a Regent Seven Seas cruise that ends in Hong Kong on March 1st. I realize it's a way off but I'm getting nervous about all that is going on in Hong Kong. I'll be spending a few extra days there at the end. I have a friend whose parents live in Hong Kong and she was just visiting them. I asked her if I should be concerned and she said she thinks once school's back in session, the protests will end. Has anyone been to Hong Kong recently? What's your experience?

Thanks,

Jamie

Edited by jamieandsam

2 hours ago, jamieandsam said:

I'm taking a Regent Seven Seas cruise that ends in Hong Kong on March 1st. I realize it's a way off but I'm getting nervous about all that is going on in Hong Kong. I'll be spending a few extra days there at the end. I have a friend whose parents live in Hong Kong and she was just visiting them. I asked her if I should be concerned and she said she thinks once school's back in session, the protests will end. Has anyone been to Hong Kong recently? What's your experience?  Thanks, Jamie

You are correct to be concerned and monitoring this situation closely.  We flew into, stayed four nights in Hong Kong, returned by air from this location early last year. Not sure how the recent news and developments could affect those logistics by early next year.  From being in Hong Kong, we learned that this is a serious, long-term "power and control" battles between two very different views as to what was promised to the people for the future in this former British Colony.   

From ABC TV news today, they had this headline: “Riot police storm Hong Kong airport as protesters force second day of flight cancellations” with these highlights: Riot police stormed the Hong Kong International Airport on Tuesday as protests by thousands of anti-government demonstrators forced flights to be canceled for the second straight day.  Travelers at one of the world's busiest airports were advised that check-in had been suspended and hundreds flights were cancelled, and that they should leave the terminals as quickly as possible and contact airlines for more information.  The clashes appeared to represent an escalation 10 weeks after the protest's massive, peaceful beginnings in early June.”

Good luck to all with future Hong Kong plans.

Full story at:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/riot-police-storm-hong-kong-airport-day-cancellations/story?id=64941993

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 48,885 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

As a local resident, I do not know what is store next week. As they say, in politics a week is a very long time.

But the popular thinking at this time is that the demonstrations will run out of steam, but how soon is anybody's guess. Most will bet when schools/universities open again in early September. Hopefully, a reconciliation process will begin.

I should add however that for 98% of HK (people and localities), lives are normal. People just go about and do whatever they have been doing. The demonstrations are now mainly directed against police stations.

20 hours ago, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

We are on that cruise too, JamieandSam, and I have been worrying about that too.  Hopefully it will settle down soon.

All depends on what the Chinese Government does.  If they take a hard line it could get much worse.  Hope not, but watch it very carefully. 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

We are on that cruise too, JamieandSam, and I have been worrying about that too.  Hopefully it will settle down soon.

Have you joined the Roll Call for the cruise? I'm doing Auckland to Hong Kong and there are 2 roll calls that I see, one for Auckland to Shanghai (now Japan) and one for Bali to Hong Kong.