Cruise Critic Community
duchess nan

Amsterdam disembarkation

We will be disembarking Viking cruise in Amsterdam in June.  Our flight leaves AMS 2:50 pm on day of disembarkation.  Are there any tour options that would let us see a bit of Amsterdam before flight time?  I've read that Viking does not offer any.

you probably have to be at the airport at 12;30 or so.  I would also an hour to get there via taxi or train.

You really don't have that much time to go on an organized tour - probably why they don't offer one.

You could do a specific event - Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank house (need reservations!) and then go to the airport

I doubt you would have time to even go to the museum or Anne Frank house and then get back to the ship to collect your luggage and be on the road to the airport by 11:30. You might just want to have a nice breakfast on board and explore on foot a bit before heading to the train station to go back to the airport. I am assuming you are not using Viking transfers back to the airport. If you are they will likely want to depart from the ship 31/2 to 4 hours prior to flight time. 

Alternatively you could book a private tour and have them pick you up from the ship early and do a half day tour and drop you off at the airport directly which could save quite a bit of time. 

I am sailing with AMA Waterways and we get to Amsterdam the afternoon prior to our flight departing.  Check your itinerary and see when your ship docks.  Also it looks like the dock to airport is maybe 30 min drive. We plan on sightseeing the afternoon and early evening then head back to the ship

Thank you to everyone for sharing your ideas and thoughts.  I will look into private tours and the museum at the airport.  Also could just walk near the dock area for a couple of hours if Viking will let us leave luggage on board for a bit.  Thank you again for giving me some options to think about.