Donating books?

mferris77

So I read a lot, and I find myself with more books than I can fit on my bookshelves.  The last time I cruised, the selection was a bit lackluster.  Does Carnival accept book donations?  While I know they're a huge corporation and can afford their own books, I'm guessing they don't give much attention (or funding) to their library selections.  In fact last time I borrowed a book from their library there was no 'check in/check out' process.  I just took a book that looked interesting and walked out with it, there was no attendant to record my 'borrowing'.

If I wanted to give a few books (or more) to the ship's library, is there a way to do that efficiently? I'm not sure how I'd deal with a box of books as 'luggage'.  I'm wondering if I could contact whoever is in charge and somehow direct a box of books to them/the library.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mferris77 said:

So I read a lot, and I find myself with more books than I can fit on my bookshelves.  The last time I cruised, the selection was a bit lackluster.  Does Carnival accept book donations?  While I know they're a huge corporation and can afford their own books, I'm guessing they don't give much attention (or funding) to their library selections.  In fact last time I borrowed a book from their library there was no 'check in/check out' process.  I just took a book that looked interesting and walked out with it, there was no attendant to record my 'borrowing'.

If I wanted to give a few books (or more) to the ship's library, is there a way to do that efficiently? I'm not sure how I'd deal with a box of books as 'luggage'.  I'm wondering if I could contact whoever is in charge and somehow direct a box of books to them/the library.

Just leave them in the library or in your stateroom.  They will circulate

Hi

As you said, Carnival is a big company that could afford to fund their own library if they chose to. Of course, if you finish a book on the ship and don't want to carry it home, leave it in the library.

Perhaps look for a local charity that might be able to sell them at some fundraiser. 

A couple years ago I donated books to the library on Grand Turk. They had both a fire and hurricane that year. Left them at Jacks as requested. Also had a few children’s books with me downtown and gave to very grateful kids at the stands with their parents.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

We will leave books we have finished on the cruise at the ships library for others to enjoy.

This is probably the best way to donate. Unfortunately most of my books are now on my tablet and I won't be leaving that (on purpose, anyway😮). I see the shipboard library as more of a place where you can go to get a little quiet if you need to.

Edited by sparks1093

I go through several books on a cruise (even a short one) since that's what I do on sea days and any chance I get - sit and read and relax.  I simply leave them in the library.  If the doors are locked, I just put the book down somewhere close (or even leaning against the door if I feel that no one will trip over it).

And I help myself to what's been left behind.  Yes, other lines seem to have more books available and have a designated place for a book exchange, and I take advantage of that. 

We've left finished books in the ship library as well.  Lately, though, I've been reading on my ipad, so I rarely go to the library.  If I had lots of books at home, I would either take them to Half Price Books & get some lunch money if I'm lucky or take them to the library.

If you have excess books you might also check to see if you have a local "Little Free Library". This is a small free book exchange that can be setup at a residence and I have seen them at business's, church's and schools. We have had one in front of our house for about 3 years and it is visited frequently and has a lot of turnover. My wife posts on local facebook page when we get low on books and always get lot of donations. Books I know are so old fashioned but I really enjoy seeing that people are still interested in them, especially kids. 

Edited by TEXSUN46

15 hours ago, mferris77 said:

So I read a lot, and I find myself with more books than I can fit on my bookshelves. If I wanted to give a few books (or more) to the ship's library, is there a way to do that efficiently? I'm not sure how I'd deal with a box of books as 'luggage'.

We've left a book or two in the ships library on Carnival, Royal & Princess over the years. They are always welcome. However if you have more than a few & have a 'box of books' as you describe, I would consider donating them to Free Libraries, the Goodwill, Daycare Centers & Schools, Retirement Homes, Assisted Living Facilities, Hospitals, the Salvation Army, and so on....

Your local schools, churches, libraries, volunteer organizations within your own community are only a phone call away. The books donated to these types of places or organizations are in more need of them than a library on a cruise ship...

📖 📚 📒 📚

Edited by ObstructedView2

10 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

A couple years ago I donated books to the library on Grand Turk. They had both a fire and hurricane that year. Left them at Jacks as requested. Also had a few children’s books with me downtown and gave to very grateful kids at the stands with their parents.

That's awesome, 2wheelin.