First Tanzanite, now Zultanite. How many suckers are born every minute?

fstuff1

IMG_20190811_021237770.thumb.jpg.14f03086ed65cdf93244e9e6ceabc34a.jpg

Apparently, NCL thinks alot if they're pouring in resources on printing plus manpower to put them on every cabin door sign on the ship.

Up until i sailed on NCL, i've never even heard of Tanzanite. (it looks blue like a sapphire.)

Now they're adding Zultanite??? (No clue about them.)

Is this a male thing where i think of either of them as fake gems (ie: 1 step above cubic zirconia) yet costs much, much, much more?

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

Apparently, NCL thinks alot if they're pouring in resources on printing plus manpower to put them on every cabin door sign on the ship.

Up until i sailed on NCL, i've never even heard of Tanzanite. (it looks blue like a sapphire.)

Is this a male thing where i think of either of them as fake gems (ie: 1 step above cubic zirconia) yet costs much, much, much more?

Just goes to show how educational these cruises can be.  These particular gemstones have been around for years, so the adverts have expanded your knowledge of what exists out there.

Zultanite and Csarite are trade names for Diaspore mineral gemstones that are mined from a particular mine in Turkey.  My other half has had one in a ring for several years that we bought in a reputable dealer inTurkey. The stone changes colour depending on the light falling on it - quite a talking point at times. Clearly they are not diamonds, but they do have a market value along with other mid-level gemstones, so not exactly a con.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have flashbacks to a NCL cruise when I hear Tanzanite.  I can hear it over the loudspeaker.

"Come join us for a Tanzanite blow out today only in the Atrium"

Immediately followed by

"No winners yet in the jackpot bingo game.  Join us in the theater for last chance at the jackpot today at 2pm"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

IMG_20190811_021237770.thumb.jpg.14f03086ed65cdf93244e9e6ceabc34a.jpg

wow, we had the same pitch to purchase it when we sailed HAL and Celebrity years ago as well as visiting jewelry stores in the Caribbean. I did buy a pair of ear rings in ST Thomas but even then I kinda laughed as we have felt all the time Tanzanite might not be all as precious or as rare as told. It is the old saying Buyer be ware and this isn't just an NCL thing. I am not going so far as to say, these stones are phony, but I just have my doubts as to how rare they really are. 

• Like 1

The real genius is how NCL got you to take the time to photograph it and then upload and publish that photo to CC so now there is a thread talking about it. Not only every cabin on the ship, but now people who aren't even on the ship are exposed...thanks to you.

That is free marketing 101.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

wow, we had the same pitch to purchase it when we sailed HAL and Celebrity years ago as well as visiting jewelry stores in the Caribbean. I did buy a pair of ear rings in ST Thomas but even then I kinda laughed as we have felt all the time Tanzanite might not be all as precious or as rare as told. It is the old saying Buyer be ware and this isn't just an NCL thing. I am not going so far as to say, these stones are phony, but I just have my doubts as to how rare they really are. 

I mean, if you want to talk about gemstones which aren't nearly as rare as people are led to believe, look no further than diamonds.

• Like 9

Here's the scoop:

They are both real stones.

The tanzanite mine has closed...and the really good (dark) tanzanite is hard to find.  You can't get it at "your local jeweler" although you can get the "watered down light version".  However, the prices are inflated on the ship.  I have other sources where I can get better prices.

It's the same for zoltanite...a real gem from Turkey.  It's difficult to find it "on land" and your local jeweler won't have it.  Again....price inflated on a ship (and don't believe them when they say you can only buy it on a ship) and my sources will also give me better prices.

ETA....Tanzanite is tanzanite....but zoltanite can be marketed under different names.  "Zoltanite" is the brand name for what NCL sells and I've seen this brand elsewhere (not just on the ship).

Edited by April42749
  • Like 1

Couple of points....

-the jewelry stores on ships from most lines are not owned by the cruise lines.  The cruise lines lease the jewelry stores space on board and get a “cut” of the profit to sell their wares.  Jewelry is marked up.....A LOT!  Do you really think you’re getting solid gold chains when they sell them by the nice?

-if you don’t know what you’re buying, probably a good idea not to lay down your cash.  I tell new cruisers all the time, don’t go to their jewelry stores expecting great deals.  They’re no better than you get on your land based stores.  However, if you see something you like, regardless of the type of jewelry it is (including Tanzanite), you agree on the price, and you don’t mind plunking down your cash, cruise jewelry makes a nice momento of your vacation.

-Watches are a little better as you can price compare “like for like”.  Watch brands and models adhere to easier “like for like” comparison on land based shops.  If you buy Tags (for example) only at retail, then the Tag watches on the ship are a pretty good deal.  You’ll save taxes on your purchases, too.

Again, if you don’t know what you’re buying, don’t buy it.

• Like 1

Yes, gemstone marketing is pretty prevalent on all the cruise lines.  The zoltanite is the marketing name for diaspore which does have a bit of a color change.  Tanzanite is the marketing name for Zoisite which has been marketed for years.  I have also seen ships marketing yellow emerald which is a beryl stone know as helidor.  You can also find mystic topaz which is simply white topaz that has been coated with a chemical solution and then irradiated to bring out all the different colors.  All of the stones are very pretty and nice to look at, but very few of these exotic gemstones are all that exotic or valuable.  Its all about the marketing.  There is a huge markup on most jewelry and that is not limited to just the cruise ships, you will also see the markup in regular jewelry stores, but you won't find a lot of the gem stones marketed on a cruise ship in most jewelry stores.  

If you like the jewelry and are comfortable with the price, then buy it, but don't think of jewelry as an investment because it seldom is with the markups that are out there, both aboard ships and in the various ports they stop at.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Couple of points....

-the jewelry stores on ships from most lines are not owned by the cruise lines.  The cruise lines lease the jewelry stores space on board and get a “cut” of the profit to sell their wares.  Jewelry is marked up.....A LOT!  Do you really think you’re getting solid gold chains when they sell them by the nice?

-if you don’t know what you’re buying, probably a good idea not to lay down your cash.  I tell new cruisers all the time, don’t go to their jewelry stores expecting great deals.  They’re no better than you get on your land based stores.  However, if you see something you like, regardless of the type of jewelry it is (including Tanzanite), you agree on the price, and you don’t mind plunking down your cash, cruise jewelry makes a nice momento of your vacation.

-Watches are a little better as you can price compare “like for like”.  Watch brands and models adhere to easier “like for like” comparison on land based shops.  If you buy Tags (for example) only at retail, then the Tag watches on the ship are a pretty good deal.  You’ll save taxes on your purchases, too.

very true or if you do, buy it because you really want it and not because of the monitory value 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Couple of points....

Another thing to add is that most cruise ships own the jewellery stores that are at each port.

So when the lovely friendly guy on the cruise ship is giving you coupons for the stores on shore, he is basically advertising for himself (representing the cruise company).

A friend who lives nears Haines, Alaska, says that the locally owned stores have to put up signs letting people know they aren't owned by the cruise lines.

Years ago I bought Tanzanite earrings in Alaska at a great price. The jewelry store person wanted me to buy the set , I said nope just the earrings and I gave him a price. he agreed and he threw in the necklace. They matched my sweater and I thought oooo why not. I admit I do not pay alot for Bridge or Fashion jewelry and I can also walk away when my price is not met. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Another thing to add is that most cruise ships own the jewellery stores that are at each port.

So when the lovely friendly guy on the cruise ship is giving you coupons for the stores on shore, he is basically advertising for himself (representing the cruise company).

A friend who lives nears Haines, Alaska, says that the locally owned stores have to put up signs letting people know they aren't owned by the cruise lines.

The cruise ships do not own the jewelry stores on board or at the individual ports.  But, the same names keep popping up the cruise “jewelry consultant” recommends.  The biggest of these is obviously DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL.

Just like the art auctions (which are also not owned by the cruise companies but get big kickbacks on sales), you take the “special deal” coupons given to you by the jewelry consultant to get the free trinket and whatever else you buy, the consultant and the cruise lines get a cut from.

Again, if you find something you like, buy it if you really want it.  Don’t plan on getting a “deal”.

The other big downside, if something goes wrong with your watch or your jewelry, once you’re off the ship, you have to deal with whomever guaranteed your purchase by yourself.  Good luck sending your jewelry in for a repair to a cruise ship stores’ HQ to get a timely repair (vs driving to your nearest jewelry store at home to cover repair services).

• Like 1

Sometimes (rarely) you’ll find unique and interesting watches or jewelry on a ship.  I stay away from jewelry (unless it’s something relatively cheap like PANDORA) as few, if any of us, know enough about the classes and value of precious stones and metals that are sold on a ship.

However, I do know a bit about watches....certainly much more than the alleged “watch experts” that sell watches on the ship.

Anyway, I found a MOVADO automatic watch on an MSC cruise.  Swiss made, Swiss automatic movement, which is what I look for in my watches (not going to debate the differences between Swiss made/movements over other types of watches).

Anyone who knows MOVADO understands that the vast majority of what they make are quartz  watches.  They make a much smaller percentage of Swiss automatic watches.  It’s not like MOVADO is a rare brand.  But, I liked the look.  The price at the time was much less than I could have bought it at home, even if I could have found an automatic Swiss movement Movado.   So, I pulled the trigger.  Very happy with it.

But, that’s more the exception than the rule.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Again, if you find something you like, buy it if you really want it.  Don’t plan on getting a “deal”.

Last November, my wife and I walked through the Diamonds International shop in one of our first ports and saw a men's Bulova watch we were both really taken with. We ended up paying $320 or so for a watch valued at $500, and listed on the Nordstrom and Macy's websites for that amount.

Turns out it was also available on Amazon for $250.

So did we get a deal? Yes (as if we'd walked into Macy's or Nordstrom back home and bought it, we would have paid substantially more). Did we get the BEST deal? No.

OTOH, I love the watch, get compliments every time I wear it, and it's a great souvenir of the cruise. Bottom line: We don't regret buying it.

Edited by RaiderDuck
  • Like 1

Tanzanite is a real gem, as noted above. People will believe anything though. I thought I was being helpful on another cruise site when a woman posted about the best ship to purchase Larimar. I mentioned seeing pieces on Overstock and Zulily among other discount sites. She was adamant that ship stones were different! better! exclusive!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is genuine and the setting is real gold, silver, etc,  it is all the same rock.  

11 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I have a lot of Tanzanite jewelry, none of which I purchased on a cruise ship.  It is a real precious gem.  Color ranges from a deep purple going down to a light periwinkle or almost lavender .  It is a relatively new gemstone, according to the article below, having only been discovered in the 1960s  and first marketed by Tiffany and Co.

https://geology.com/gemstones/tanzanite/

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

Tanzanite is a real gem, as noted above. People will believe anything though. I thought I was being helpful on another cruise site when a woman posted about the best ship to purchase Larimar. I mentioned seeing pieces on Overstock and Zulily among other discount sites. She was adamant that ship stones were different! better! exclusive!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is genuine and the setting is real gold, silver, etc,  it is all the same rock.  

Larimar is larimar...but Marahlago (not sure of the exact spelling) has better settings than "souvenir shops" in the ports.  I have pieces of Marahlago and the generic ones.  The Marahlago were much pricier but much prettier. (By much pricier I mean not even in the same range.........)

My attitude about art and jewelry on ships...they are souvenirs of your trip.  If the cost is within your means and you love it...buy it.  It's a nicer souvenir than the weight you put on eating!

8 minutes ago, laurabegorrah said:

I have a lot of Tanzanite jewelry, none of which I purchased on a cruise ship.  It is a real precious gem.  Color ranges from a deep purple going down to a light periwinkle or almost lavender .  It is a relatively new gemstone, according to the article below, having only been discovered in the 1960s  and first marketed by Tiffany and Co.

https://geology.com/gemstones/tanzanite/

hm.. to a noob like me, anything blueish is a sapphire.

i guess the ship makes more profit off tanzanite than selling sapphires?

also, i think:

reddish = ruby, green = emerald, yellow = topaz, and clear = diamond.

Zultanite is a trademark for a gem variety of the mineral diaspore, mined in the İlbir Mountains of southwest Turkey at an elevation of over 4,000 feet.

Diaspore /ˈdaɪəspɔːr/, also known as diasporite, empholite, kayserite, or tanatarite, is an aluminium oxide hydroxide mineral, α-AlO(OH), crystallizing in the orthorhombic system and isomorphous with goethite.

I am a scientist (aka Geek).  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Zultanite is a trademark for a gem variety of the mineral diaspore, mined in the İlbir Mountains of southwest Turkey at an elevation of over 4,000 feet.

Diaspore /ˈdaɪəspɔːr/, also known as diasporite, empholite, kayserite, or tanatarite, is an aluminium oxide hydroxide mineral, α-AlO(OH), crystallizing in the orthorhombic system and isomorphous with goethite.

But is it pretty?

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

what color is zultanite?

in rarity, rank the major 4 gems (diamond, sapphire, emerald, ruby), tanzanite and zultanite from least plentiful to most.