Koningsdam Neptune Suite = Nieuw Amsterdam/Eurodam Signature Suite?

cabland

So as I began contemplating a last minute Alaskan cruise this year, the limited selection (especially for cabins) at the last minute had me looking at cruises for next Summer.  I was planning to take the Nieuw Amsterdam (as we did last year), BUT it is being replaced by the Koningsdam.  Last year we had a Signature Suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam and, of course, I started by looking at those.

As some other threads here on CC have pointed out there are VERY few Signature Suites on the Koningsdam, which was surprising to me.  However, as I began to compare the online videos of the various Koningsdam suites I was surprised at the new layout for the Signature Suites.  Indeed, I'm not a fan.  More investigation shows that the even pricier Neptune suites on the Kdam are much closer equivalent to the Signature Suites in everything from layout to size to deck positioning and number of suites.  Even then, you lose the extra little "make-up" desk  on the Kdam (although Kdam's Neptune cabin is wider).  One of the biggest disappointments of the Kdam's Signature suites, however,  involves the size of the balcony - they are much more shallow than the equivalent NA/Eurodam SS balconies.  The Neptune balconies on the Kdam are essentially the same depth as the SS on NA/Euro.

At the end of the day, to get the same Nieuw Amsterdam "Signature Suite" experience on the Kdam, I feel like I would really have to "pay up" for the Neptune suite...bummer.  Given how few signature suites there are, I'm not sure why HAL bothered with them on the Kdam.

Definitely a bummer and a clear "revenue generation" move by HAL (not surprising of course - Corporate America FTW!).

Has anyone else noticed this?

We actually loved our Signature suite on the Koningsdam for our 21 day cruise.  We did not find the balcony small but there were only the two of us.  I really liked the layout of the suite.

It is a shame there are so few of them.  We have also been in a Vista suite on the K and found it tight but managed with no issue.  

The older ships have bigger cabins but we loved the Kongingsdam and especially the Signature suite we were in.  Did you look on HAL facts at the photos?  I think I submitted some for our Signature suite which showed the Murphy bed too.  

We have done many Neptune suites on various ships and have decided not to book them any longer.  (Did our last Neptune on the NA in April).  We are 4* so get the perks we want and are happy now in Signature or regular cabins.  

24 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We have done many Neptune suites on various ships and have decided not to book them any longer.  (Did our last Neptune on the NA in April).  We are 4* so get the perks we want and are happy now in Signature or regular cabins.  

It seems more and more people are opting for this scenario once they reach 4 Star level.  We did 😉

20 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

It seems more and more people are opting for this scenario once they reach 4 Star level.  We did 😉

It sure does.  We always had booked Neptune suites but last couple of years alternated Signature & Neptune.  I’m ok now with a balcony (have claustrophobic issues but recently found out I can handle the smaller cabin) which gives us more money to cruise more often!! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We actually loved our Signature suite on the Koningsdam for our 21 day cruise.  We did not find the balcony small but there were only the two of us.  I really liked the layout of the suite.

It is a shame there are so few of them.  We have also been in a Vista suite on the K and found it tight but managed with no issue.  

The older ships have bigger cabins but we loved the Kongingsdam and especially the Signature suite we were in.  Did you look on HAL facts at the photos?  I think I submitted some for our Signature suite which showed the Murphy bed too.  

I watched several of the online videos which were pretty helpful.  Oddly enough, the "smaller" Signature Suites on the Kdam seem better suited to more people than the Neptune suite.  The former has some segregation for the Murphy bed you mentioned vs. the "all in one room" settee "thing" in the Neptune suites. 

• Like 1

K'dam SA Neptunes do have a makeup desk. The dressing room area is gone, but the desk that faces the veranda has a mirror that lifts up and is lighted. And the space below the mirror is great for stashing small items, like jewelry or hair clips, rather than leaving them out on a surface where they might be knocked to the floor (by your or the steward) and then end up inside the vacuum. It also had the side effect of making me keep the desk area tidy so that I could lift the mirror. 

The corner aft had a large lighted mirror over the desk instead of the one that lifts up. 

15 minutes ago, cabland said:

I watched several of the online videos which were pretty helpful.  Oddly enough, the "smaller" Signature Suites on the Kdam seem better suited to more people than the Neptune suite.  The former has some segregation for the Murphy bed you mentioned vs. the "all in one room" settee "thing" in the Neptune suites. 

So true.  We didn’t like the “look” of the Neptune suite on the K but loved our Signature suite and would book it over the Neptune on the K.

We do love the older ships Neptune suites though which is why we did one on the NA in April.

I remember our first ever cruise and walking  into our Neptune suite on the Ryndam-we were speechless it was so large.

2 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I remember our first ever cruise and walking  into our Neptune suite on the Ryndam-we were speechless it was so large.

LOL, you are taking me down memory lane.  Our first was on the Rotterdam.  I got an offer to upgrade to a Deluxe Verandah Suite (what they were called back then) and it was very reasonable so I said, sure, a bigger room and balcony would be nice.  I had a bricks and mortar TA back then and she didn’t tell me about the amenities.

We were awestruck with the room and very happy.  That’s what we thought we were getting.

I didn’t know about the Neptune Lounge until I got this nice invite in our cabin.  Didn’t even realize we had the PG for breakfast (although on that cruise it was the King’s Room which had gorgeous views and great service by the PG staff) until day 3. Good thing it was a longer South America cruise 😉 

• Like 1