Cruise Critic Community
thunter1224

Budapest Great Market Hall

I am really looking forward to checking out the Market Hall.. and I see there is lots of shops and food stands.. my question is will they take my credit card at the shops ? or will I need cash to buy a bowl of goulash ?  I have also been told to just pay the price on my card and to let my bank back home do the exchange .  What is your suggestions ?   50 day to go  🙂

Some of the shops will - but can't speak to all of them.  Many of the craft stalls upstairs take cards - as the purchases are a bit bigger than a bowl of goulash or a piece of strudel.  There is an ATM on the main floor - at the back of the hall - but their ATM fees are higher than most of the ATMs closer to the Chain Bridge.

If you get asked if you want the charge in local currency - always say yes.  If you say no (ie: you want it in your "home" currency") they charge you a rate they have agreed upon with the bank, and it is often higher than what you would pay if your own bank does the exchange.

BTW - if you plan to use the bathrooms in the Market Hall, the one on the upper level (above the front doors) is less expensive than the one on the main floor by the ATM.   And, keep the piece of paper that they give you - as it says that you have paid the bathroom entrance fee - so you could go back in again before you leave if you need to.

Fran  

Posted (edited)

I think almost all of the vendors at the Market will take cards. If you happen upon one that won’t just keep moving because you will find another stall selling the same thing at the same price that will take your card. 

Second the cc advice above from  Franski....always say no when the cc machine asks if you want to pay in dollars. You will come out better paying in forints. Have fun at the market. Great way to spend an afternoon!  

And btw...goulash in Budapest bears no resemblance whatsoever to what we think of in the US as “Hungarian Goulash”. Theirs is much better IMHO. There are tons of great looking food options at the market though.  

Edited by mhb1757

18 hours ago, franski said:

Some of the shops will - but can't speak to all of them.  Many of the craft stalls upstairs take cards - as the purchases are a bit bigger than a bowl of goulash or a piece of strudel.  There is an ATM on the main floor - at the back of the hall - but their ATM fees are higher than most of the ATMs closer to the Chain Bridge.

If you get asked if you want the charge in local currency - always say yes.  If you say no (ie: you want it in your "home" currency") they charge you a rate they have agreed upon with the bank, and it is often higher than what you would pay if your own bank does the exchange.

BTW - if you plan to use the bathrooms in the Market Hall, the one on the upper level (above the front doors) is less expensive than the one on the main floor by the ATM.   And, keep the piece of paper that they give you - as it says that you have paid the bathroom entrance fee - so you could go back in again before you leave if you need to.

Fran  

Thank You for this great information.. I never even thought about the bathrooms.( any idea what they charge ? )  I am sure it will all work out .. and it seems like you know all about the market .  Do you have any recommendations on what foods to try there ?

17 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

I think almost all of the vendors at the Market will take cards. If you happen upon one that won’t just keep moving because you will find another stall selling the same thing at the same price that will take your card. 

Second the cc advice above from  Franski....always say no when the cc machine asks if you want to pay in dollars. You will come out better paying in forints. Have fun at the market. Great way to spend an afternoon!  

And btw...goulash in Budapest bears no resemblance whatsoever to what we think of in the US as “Hungarian Goulash”. Theirs is much better IMHO. There are tons of great looking food options at the market though.  

Well articulated - completely agree. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

Do you have any recommendations on what foods to try there ?

Langos & goulash! We also love Hungarian strudel (especially the sour cherry that we had at the market).

Take homes: Love their lavender jelly and the apricot jam is also very good. Paprika (of course) & black truffle pesto. Sausages (brother bought several).

Edited by dogs4fun

Can I jump in with another Budapest Market question? I will be on my first Danube cruise in a couple of weeks 

I would like to bring back paprika "Sets" like hot-sweet-smoked to friends/family etc. Would you all recommend a certain shop or the main floor or top floor that I might find the best quality and best price for getting a dozen or so paprika sets?

I will be on the lookout for the sour cherry strudel too, that sounds yummy!

4 minutes ago, Yoshi01 said:

Can I jump in with another Budapest Market question? I will be on my first Danube cruise in a couple of weeks 

I would like to bring back paprika "Sets" like hot-sweet-smoked to friends/family etc. Would you all recommend a certain shop or the main floor or top floor that I might find the best quality and best price for getting a dozen or so paprika sets?

I will be on the lookout for the sour cherry strudel too, that sounds yummy!

Paprika is the most widely sold item in the market and you will find it at most of the shops on the main floor. Prices are about the same from kiosk to kiosk.

The best quality is the rose paprika (vibrant red) - it is sweet. King's paprika (koenigspaprika) is also quite good, imho. 

Grades of Hungarian paprika:

edesnemes (most popular); csemege (mild & delicate aroma); csipos csemege (more pungent than the csemege); feledes (semi-sweet), rozsa (mild pungent); kulonleges (special quality - vibrant red color); eros (hottest variety, brown to orange in color).

Probably more info than you wanted. 😎

14 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Paprika is the most widely sold item in the market and you will find it at most of the shops on the main floor. Prices are about the same from kiosk to kiosk.

The best quality is the rose paprika (vibrant red) - it is sweet. King's paprika (koenigspaprika) is also quite good, imho. 

Grades of Hungarian paprika:

edesnemes (most popular); csemege (mild & delicate aroma); csipos csemege (more pungent than the csemege); feledes (semi-sweet), rozsa (mild pungent); kulonleges (special quality - vibrant red color); eros (hottest variety, brown to orange in color).

Probably more info than you wanted. 😎

Thank you, I will take your list with me so I know which ones to look for. My mom brought me two large fabric bags of paprika when she visited Budapest years ago. I enjoyed cooking with them. I just remembered "sweet" and "hot"

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Yoshi01 said:

Thank you, I will take your list with me so I know which ones to look for. My mom brought me two large fabric bags of paprika when she visited Budapest years ago. I enjoyed cooking with them. I just remembered "sweet" and "hot"

Most of the fabric sets of two that are sold are, indeed, sweet and hot. If this is what you are looking for you will find these sets at all of the shops selling paprika. 

Edited by dogs4fun

These sets come in a variety of sizes - with or without decorative spoons and/or scoops. 

s-l300.jpg

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

These sets come in a variety of sizes - with or without decorative spoons and/or scoops. 

s-l300.jpg

This is very similar to what she brought me. I'll have to get some sets and some of the 'specialty' spices you named, now I'm curious to taste the different types.

Thank you

7 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

s-l300.jpg

These are commonly found....  IMHO, you will pay more for these "pretty" sets - but, if it is a gift, it is probably worth the extra few forints.

If you walk in the front doors (close to the bridge) - go to the aisle on your far right.  About half way down on your right, there is a stall that sells paprika.   I seems to remember it was a fairly large stall - and they have lots of options  We bought some for family that was sold in resealable foil bags, as the girl in the stall said that the locals don't buy the "pretty" sets. We paid a bit more, but were told it was a bit higher grade than the "tourist" offerings.   (Of course, I have no way of proving that... but chose to believe the pleasant young girl working in the stall!!) It was one of the few places that we could get smoked paprika (most tourist places just have the hot & sweet). You can buy scoops separately if you wish.  They also sell paprika paste (in jars) - and they take credit cards. Prices were as good (or better) than other places I looked at. 

Take a look at the date on the bag (tin). I was told it is best if used within 1 year - so look for a date that is the closest to the date you are purchasing it. 

Fran

On 8/15/2019 at 10:15 AM, thunter1224 said:

Thank You for this great information.. I never even thought about the bathrooms.( any idea what they charge ? )  I am sure it will all work out .. and it seems like you know all about the market .  Do you have any recommendations on what foods to try there ?

The bathrooms were a few forints, I believe... not horrendously priced.  And, the last time I was there, a woman was sitting by the door of the upstairs one - and would make change for you.

For food - I always hit the strudel stall... there are no words to describe how good the strudel is.  DH is fairly traditional, and usually opts for apple.  My favourite is apricot & cheese.  

Upstairs above the front doors is a cafeteria style restaurant - where you can usually find a seat.  I love that you can "see & point" when I don't speak the language. I had a goulash - DH had (I believe) sausage and potatoes.

Walking to (or from) the market - on the Vaci Utca - look for the shop that sells Chimney Cakes (it is called Molnar's).  We first discovered chimney cakes in Prague - and then found them in Budapest.  We prefer the Hungarian ones, but both are tasty. 

https://alizswonderland.com/a-locals-guide-to-the-best-chimney-cakes-in-budapest-hungary/

Can hardly wait to go back...  Have to wait another year!!  😞

Fran

12 hours ago, franski said:

Walking to (or from) the market - on the Vaci Utca - look for the shop that sells Chimney Cakes (it is called Molnar's).  We first discovered chimney cakes in Prague - and then found them in Budapest.  We prefer the Hungarian ones, but both are tasty. 

Another vote for the chimney cakes - they are delicious. There were many stalls selling them on our last visit during the Christmas Markets.

15 hours ago, franski said:

If you walk in the front doors (close to the bridge) - go to the aisle on your far right.  About half way down on your right, there is a stall that sells paprika.   I seems to remember it was a fairly large stall - and they have lots of options  We bought some for family that was sold in resealable foil bags, as the girl in the stall said that the locals don't buy the "pretty" sets. We paid a bit more, but were told it was a bit higher grade than the "tourist" offerings.   (Of course, I have no way of proving that... but chose to believe the pleasant young girl working in the stall!!) It was one of the few places that we could get smoked paprika (most tourist places just have the hot & sweet). You can buy scoops separately if you wish.  They also sell paprika paste (in jars) - and they take credit cards. Prices were as good (or better) than other places I looked at. 

It is also my understanding that paprika is best if used within a year.

Is this the stall to which you referred? This one sold all types of paprika but not the tourist sets.

Great-Market-Hall-Budapest-Hungarian-Paprika-Vendor-dpotera.jpg.37aba498987be570f4d34d5d0f5d0773.jpg

We added 2 days in Budapest after our cruise. We've been home a month and hit perfect weather over there between the heat waves. 

Here are some pictures of the market. The place is HUGE. The second floor is much tighter than the main level. 

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

It is also my understanding that paprika is best if used within a year.

Is this the stall to which you referred? This one sold all types of paprika but not the tourist sets.

Great-Market-Hall-Budapest-Hungarian-Paprika-Vendor-dpotera.jpg.37aba498987be570f4d34d5d0f5d0773.jpg

No...  the stall I referenced really just sells paprika that is already packaged.  They have the "tourist" bags & tins as well as the bags that aren't pretty.   And, yes, my understanding as well that it is best used within a year. 

Fran

Edited by franski

On 8/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, dogs4fun said:

Langos & goulash! We also love Hungarian strudel (especially the sour cherry that we had at the market).

Take homes: Love their lavender jelly and the apricot jam is also very good. Paprika (of course) & black truffle pesto. Sausages (brother bought several).

I didn't think I could bring any sausages home to the states ?  and I was also wondering if the have Truffles at the market ? The fungus not the candies 🙂

On 8/16/2019 at 1:48 AM, Yoshi01 said:

On 8/16/2019 at 1:48 AM, Yoshi01 said:

Does anyone remember seeing Smoked Paprika in the bags ? 

The photos on this post take me back to our trip last Sept...spent a great afternoon at the Central Market,

check out the basement too, some interesting items there 🙂

19 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Does anyone remember seeing Smoked Paprika in the bags ? 

Yes - there is smoked.

19 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

I didn't think I could bring any sausages home to the states ?  and I was also wondering if the have Truffles at the market ? The fungus not the candies 🙂

Yes - there are truffles.

2 hours ago, canagal said:

The photos on this post take me back to our trip last Sept...spent a great afternoon at the Central Market,

check out the basement too, some interesting items there 🙂

What kind of items are in the basement ?  

Its where the fish and meat stalls are, pickled veggies and a few kitchen ware stalls....

IMG_0016.JPG