Cruise Critic Community
thunter1224

Budapest Great Market Hall

There is an Aldi's in the basement and a luggage store, where my friend bought an extra suitcase to carry all her new purchases home.  😄

Becki

17 hours ago, rjscott said:

There is an Aldi's in the basement and a luggage store, where my friend bought an extra suitcase to carry all her new purchases home.  😄

Becki

Aldi's ... Like the food store ?

Exactly!   Aldi is a German company and as we have traveled, have found Aldi's in many malls as well.  

Becki

21 hours ago, rjscott said:

Exactly!   Aldi is a German company and as we have traveled, have found Aldi's in many malls as well.  

Becki

That's right , I did hear that .. They just opened a Lidl's  across from an Aldi's here in my town. 

Edited by thunter1224

I am just back from my wonderful Danube cruise on Amalea and Budapest was our first stop. At the market I got the Paprika gift sets like those pictured above plus a few bags of smoked paprika and Hungarian Saffron. 

One tip for others buying the smoked paprika-bring some Ziploc Bags to store the paprika in, otherwise your cabin may be very fragrant with smokey smells!

8 hours ago, Yoshi01 said:

I am just back from my wonderful Danube cruise on Amalea and Budapest was our first stop. At the market I got the Paprika gift sets like those pictured above plus a few bags of smoked paprika and Hungarian Saffron. 

One tip for others buying the smoked paprika-bring some Ziploc Bags to store the paprika in, otherwise your cabin may be very fragrant with smokey smells!

Thanks for that tip, and Budapest is our last stop !!  We will be on the Amalea in about 3 weeks .. Anything I should know before hand ? 

10 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Thanks for that tip, and Budapest is our last stop !!  We will be on the Amalea in about 3 weeks .. Anything I should know before hand ? 

A general recommendation (not related to the market or paprika) is to bring some tissue paper and/or bubble wrap along.  Doesn't weigh much - or take up much room - but it is handy to have if you buy some trinkets that are breakable.  And, Zip-lock bags are always useful.

Enjoy!!

Fran

thunter1224- you will love the Amalea, she is a clean and beautiful ship.

-The captain and staff were wonderful and passengers were nice too.

-Be sure to make a reservation at the front desk for the Chef's Table on one night.

-At the cocktail hour before dinner they serve a daily special but if you would like a different drink they will make that for you too. 

-They bring in local entertainment on many nights in the lounge, we enjoyed the casual atmosphere

-Do try out the Ama app on your smartphone, I created an album and sent e-postcards to friends, enter email addresses at home before your trip starts, I couldn't get addresses in during the trip. The app is a neat feature.

-Let me know if you have any specific questions, I will try to answer.

Most of all-enjoy, it goes so quickly

8 hours ago, Yoshi01 said:

thunter1224- you will love the Amalea, she is a clean and beautiful ship.

-The captain and staff were wonderful and passengers were nice too.

-Be sure to make a reservation at the front desk for the Chef's Table on one night.

-At the cocktail hour before dinner they serve a daily special but if you would like a different drink they will make that for you too. 

-They bring in local entertainment on many nights in the lounge, we enjoyed the casual atmosphere

-Do try out the Ama app on your smartphone, I created an album and sent e-postcards to friends, enter email addresses at home before your trip starts, I couldn't get addresses in during the trip. The app is a neat feature.

-Let me know if you have any specific questions, I will try to answer.

Most of all-enjoy, it goes so quickly

Thank You for the info.  and it is getting close. and we are getting excited.. I am just wondering how we will do with the time change..  we have a lower cabin with just the windows.. I am hoping we can see out them, without standing on a chair 🙂

I did like the balcony in our cabin but really you can be very comfortable in the lounge and on the top deck for fresh air. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, thunter1224 said:

Thank You for the info.  and it is getting close. and we are getting excited.. I am just wondering how we will do with the time change..  we have a lower cabin with just the windows.. I am hoping we can see out them, without standing on a chair 🙂

Yes you can see out of them! (Unless you are under five feet tall)  You will be pleasantly surprised.

1 minute ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yes you can see out of them! (Unless you are under five feet tall)  You will be pleasantly surprised.

Good to know. 

Thank You .. 

Great info on this thread - thanks, thunter1224, for starting it!  I'll be on AmaLea a couple months after you, so my research is a little behind yours.  I'm in "aquarium class" too (avoiding a single supplement), and I was prepared to just consider it an inside cabin.  Good to know there may be some sort of view.

18 hours ago, AndyB said:

Great info on this thread - thanks, thunter1224, for starting it!  I'll be on AmaLea a couple months after you, so my research is a little behind yours.  I'm in "aquarium class" too (avoiding a single supplement), and I was prepared to just consider it an inside cabin.  Good to know there may be some sort of view.

I will let you know how the windows work out , once I am back.. I doubt we will spend a lot of time in the cabin during the week anyway.. 🙂

2 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Does anyone know if any of the shops will take American money ?

No - they do not accept US dollars. Use your credit card or stop at an ATM for HUF (forints). Many shops DO accept euros.

Edited by dogs4fun

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

No - they do not accept US dollars. Use your credit card or stop at an ATM for HUF (forints). Many shops DO accept euros.

Ok I was just wondering .. I will use my card or the atm.. I remember reading something about,  not letting them do the exchange..and let my home bank do it  Right ?  and I was told by my bank not to use the atm in the airport.. the fee is crazy.. but I have to stop at my bank again. To ask where he said to use the atm.  And they would only charge like 1% for atm ...

49 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

Ok I was just wondering .. I will use my card or the atm.. I remember reading something about,  not letting them do the exchange..and let my home bank do it  Right ?  and I was told by my bank not to use the atm in the airport.. the fee is crazy.. but I have to stop at my bank again. To ask where he said to use the atm.  And they would only charge like 1% for atm ...

Your best exchange rate will be found from an ATM in Budapest (NOT your home bank in the USA) - use a bank ATM in Budapest.

At the airport, avoid the Euronet ATMs as they charge high fees (unfortunately, all ATMs at the airport are Euronet). There are plenty of bank ATMs on Vaci utca & elsewhere about the city. 

AVOID moneychanger kiosks - especially those on Vaci.

Budapest ATM locator here;

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-hungary

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Your best exchange rate will be found from an ATM in Budapest (NOT your home bank in the USA) - use a bank ATM in Budapest.

At the airport, avoid the Euronet ATMs as they charge high fees (unfortunately, all ATMs at the airport are Euronet). There are plenty of bank ATMs on Vaci utca & elsewhere about the city. 

I think the note about exchange is for credit cards. If given the choice between local currency and your home currency, choose local and get the better rate from your credit card company, rather than a poor exchange rate set by the store.

13 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Does anyone know if any of the shops will take American money ?

You've already received a lot of good information. 

However I feel obligated to to share our (wife & I) experience and advice from our Viking River Cruise this last July, 2019. With a 2 day extension in Budapest.  I can not assure you it will be worth even one Hungarian Forint. You will visit the Castle District up on the hill. There are lots of money vendors in the area but I used the ATM that is located beside the Starbucks on the back side of the Hilton?Castle. The Hilton/Castle is is beside the big cathedral that you will also no doubt visit. The ATM had multiple menus and I suggest you select the one in English unless you are fluent in Hungarian or some other European language. Which also limits the usefulness of the ATM map since it is also printed in Hungarian. The Viking guide suggested to get about $20 US worth of Forints. The instructions, even in English, caused me a little trouble until I realized I had to get Forints in multiples of 2,500 (pretty scary stuff!). So eventually figured out I wanted 7,500 Forints. I just checked my bank statement and I was charged $25.47 with no transaction or conversion fee. I did use a debit card. More on that in the advice column. The 7,500 Forints was more than enough. We brought 390 Forints home with us. I've attached the proof! $1.34 USD worth.

I could go on but you're probably wanting to get your own adventure started. So here is your 1 Forint worth of advice:

• Use your credit card. It's accepted just about everywhere. The Viking guide recommended using it  for the taxis but ask first before you get in. We had the the bell captain hail us a taxi and did not ask before we got in. It turned out he did take credit cards but 'preferred' cash. That's where we used most of our cash. But we did save enough to have some to use in the public toilets. Thankfully!
  • Take and use a debit card for cash. I did not even try to get cash using a credit card. Even if you have to open an account and fund. This is the first debit card we ever used and activated it just before we left. You may have to shop around for a plan that doesn't charge any fees.
  • Ride the Ferris Wheel
  • Ride the Funicular - It's not as big as the incline in Pittsburgh but it saves walking up or down the hill.
  • You've probably spent thousands of dollars on this trip and hundreds more on gadgets and stuff you don't need. Unless you're into high finance the exchange rate isn't going to break you.
  • Have fun! The advice is free. Keep the Forint.

5_Back.JPG

5_Forint.JPG

10_Forint.JPG

20_Back.JPG

20_Forint.JPG

50_Back.JPG

50_Forint.JPG

100_Back.JPG

100_Forint.JPG

200_Back.JPG

200_Forints.JPG

4000_Forints.JPG

Ferris_Wheel.JPG

Funicular.JPG

11 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

The bad thing is Budapest is our last stop.. I need one in Vilshofen .. 

Just now, thunter1224 said:

Do you remember the price for the ferris wheel and the lift ? 

and thank You for this great info.

4 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Do you remember the price for the ferris wheel and the lift ? 

and thank You for this great info.

Prices:

Budapest Eye (ferris wheel): 2700 HUF (approx. $8.65 per person)

Funicular: Single Ticket/adult: 1000 HUF (approx. $3.20 per person)

Return Ticket/adult: 1700 HUF (approx. $5.45 per person)

4 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

The bad thing is Budapest is our last stop.. I need one in Vilshofen .. 

I don't understand your comment. You won't get HUF from an ATM in Vilshofen - Vilshofen is in Germany and the Vilshofen ATMs dispense euros. You must visit an ATM in Hungary to obtain HUF.

FYI: if you are looking to obtain euros in Vilshofen, there are a couple of banks with ATMs in the historical center - it is a short walk from where ships dock on the Danube.

Edited by dogs4fun