Cruise Critic Community
eby

Takeaway cups

Does Crystal still have to go cups for coffee in the morning? Some lines have discontinued them, and have bring you own. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, eby said:

Does Crystal still have to go cups for coffee in the morning? Some lines have discontinued them, and have bring you own. Thanks.

what line makes you bring your own??

I have enough stuff to pack

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

what line makes you bring your own??

I have enough stuff to pack

Regent

3 hours ago, eby said:

Regent

😲

well I hope  that policy does not spread to Oceania

I would not want to have to pack my coffee mug

I bring my Starbucks Coffee Cup  (with cap) and a refillable bottle to take away Ice Tea from the Bistro. I also pack some dish soap  No big deal.  I don't like paper take away.  On Oceania, my husband would do  run up to deck 12 for a Barista coffee and they only had to see the cup to know my order.

On Crystal, they know me by name at the Bistro and my order too.  It's like getting a big hug in the morning.

12 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Wow - that’s just dumb!

Yes and no, and I can see where it might actually spread. The problem is that to-go cups for hot beverages cannot be recycled due to the "plastic" liner that keeps the liquid from soaking the paper. This means they must be disposed of as garbage, and in the current "green" environment, that is becoming less acceptable, in much the same way that plastic straws became no-nos and bottles will likely soon become unacceptable. Although that will be a much heavier lift than straws were. I have heard that Starbucks, and Tim Horton's up here in Canada, are experimenting with recylable to-go cups, but they have not found an acceptable alternative as far as I know. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Yes and no, and I can see where it might actually spread. The problem is that to-go cups for hot beverages cannot be recycled due to the "plastic" liner that keeps the liquid from soaking the paper. This means they must be disposed of as garbage, and in the current "green" environment, that is becoming less acceptable, in much the same way that plastic straws became no-nos and bottles will likely soon become unacceptable. Although that will be a much heavier lift than straws were. I have heard that Starbucks, and Tim Horton's up here in Canada, are experimenting with recylable to-go cups, but they have not found an acceptable alternative as far as I know. 

I'm not opposed to going green here in the first world, but it's rather a case of feeling good but having almost zero affect on the world's plastic problem. Many of us have been to Asia and seen the real plastic problem in Vietnam, India and other countries there.

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie

I wish Crystal would add the option of nice substantial washable mugs.

Roy

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm not opposed to going green here in the first world, but it's rather a case of feeling good but having almost zero affect on the world's plastic problem. Many of us have been to Asia and seen the real plastic problem in Vietnam, India and other countries there.

Patty

While every little bit helps, I have to admit it is something of a First World "feel good" issue.

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wish Crystal would add the option of nice substantial washable mugs.

Roy

And proper espresso cups when getting an early coffee from the bistro before a tour. We tried several times to get the Bistrio barista to give us the espressos in regular cups but we always ended up with it in a huge takeaway cup. Espressos only take a couple of minutes to drink and we would have been quite happy to have drunk them standing at the bar.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And proper espresso cups when getting an early coffee from the bistro before a tour. We tried several times to get the Bistrio barista to give us the espressos in regular cups but we always ended up with it in a huge takeaway cup. Espressos only take a couple of minutes to drink and we would have been quite happy to have drunk them standing at the bar.

you do mean the little tiny one shot cups with a lemon peel? I never seen them on the ship.

Sorry, but shrugging off disposability/recycling issues as a feel good/first world problem really amounts to "eh, I'll be dead before it catches up to us."

4 hours ago, ellbon said:

you do mean the little tiny one shot cups with a lemon peel? I never seen them on the ship.

Yes, very small demitasse cups. They have them as we had espressos often during the day in the Bistro but for some reason they wouldn't use them first thing in the morning. It was huge takeaway cups or nothing. 

I'm not sure what you mean by lemon peel though. That's not something I associate with espresso coffee.

58 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, very small demitasse cups. They have them as we had espressos often during the day in the Bistro but for some reason they wouldn't use them first thing in the morning. It was huge takeaway cups or nothing. 

I'm not sure what you mean by lemon peel though. That's not something I associate with espresso coffee.

Fine restaurants use to put them in. Mostly Italian. Not seen it done in years.maybe a google search as I had it more then once that way. I drink coffee only in mornings   and green juice.hate breakfast food,

Posted (edited)

Coffee culture in Australia is quite different to the US. It's closer to Italian coffee culture but with milky coffees drunk all through the day not just in the mornings. Brewed coffee is rarely seen outside of hotel dining rooms. Cafes only serve espresso-based coffees - espresso itself (also known as a short black) caffe latte, cappuchino, long black which is espresso watered down, and other variations. Many people sit in the cafe to enjoy their coffees, and cafes are often used for business meetings. Takeaway coffees are also popular but served in much smaller cups - tiny for espresso, and regular or large for other types but the large size is still smaller than the takeaway cups on Crystal. Some of the US coffee chains, like Starbucks, do operate in Australia and have the standard US sized drinks.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

For some strange reason the nice small espresso cups are only used in the evening..

Also until 9am it is paper cups only anyway...

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Sorry, but shrugging off disposability/recycling issues as a feel good/first world problem really amounts to "eh, I'll be dead before it catches up to us."

I will be with you but we have to think of our children & grandkids.

Don't get me started on the topic of coffee on board. Coming from Sydney, like OzKiwiJJ, we are really spoilt with amazing coffee at most establishments and I concur it is more like Italian coffee culture than American. I can however happily partake of the coffee on board even though it's not to the standard that we are used to but my sister who I just travelled with on her first Crystal cruise could not for the life of her get over how bad the coffee is. She eventually settled on having tea but it struck me as unusual how important a proper coffee is for some people and I was thankful for the day she gave up and just ordered tea!

Does anyone know the brand of coffee they use?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

She eventually settled on having tea but it struck me as unusual how important a proper coffee is for some people and I was thankful for the day she gave up and just ordered tea!

Love it!

I quite like the coffee served in the Bistro - boy has it improved over the years 

What brand do they use? Is it that European brand? - the same as the teas they use now - Julius Meinl - I’m pretty sure that’s the case 

https://www.meinlcoffee.com/

For those in Sydney - I see they have an Australian importer - https://www.18sixty2.com.au/ - so Shirin you can buy your sister some to run through her own machine - lol

Edited by Stickman1990

I drink a latte or something per noon. i find it fine. But I had real Italien coffee and coffee from other countries. Some ships i skip he coffee and tea. But only Crystal the tea is ok.  Better brand than some ships.

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

so Shirin you can buy your sister some to run through her own machine - lol

Great idea! I'm going to put some in her Christmas stocking 🤣