Value of concierge level verandah?

don731

We have an opportunity to book an A1 on Riviera next February for $50/per night over a non-concierge verandah.  Is it worth the upgrade?  We haven’t cruised yet on O, but are veterans of Cunard and Azamara.  Unclear what the bennies are on O with concierge level.

Generally, yes.  But depends if the ship has a concierge room - if yes, definitely.

you typically get preferred early  boarding, access to the spa deck, early restaurant reservations and access to the Concierge lounge which is open 24 hours a day, with coffee, tea, oastries.  Especially worthwhile if you’re an early riser.

For $50... go for it.  You’ll like it.

hot breakfast

bottle of bubbly

3 free laundry bags @ 20 items per bag

4 free pressings

Value is  subjective

Not sure why people put prices per night  as you cannot book the cruise or cabin for a few nights  🙄

just saying

• Like 1

We always book concierge a1 or penthouse but this time on Riviera we booked a veranda because of the size.  there are verandas on Marina and Riviera with huge balconies with lounge chairs, a table and two chairs.  We spend a lot of time on veranda so wanted to try this.  the perks you get with concierge are great but on Riveira or Marina we won't miss much. There is always room service.  But a glass of wine under the stars in a lounge chair awesome and no crowds

17 minutes ago, raye70 said:

We always book concierge a1 or penthouse but this time on Riviera we booked a veranda because of the size.  there are verandas on Marina and Riviera with huge balconies with lounge chairs, a table and two chairs.  We spend a lot of time on veranda so wanted to try this.  the perks you get with concierge are great but on Riveira or Marina we won't miss much. There is always room service.  But a glass of wine under the stars in a lounge chair awesome and no crowds

Extended balconies? (The group of B3 cabins on the O ships): They're just an "urban legend," not a bargain, forget you've ever heard about them....  😉😎

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, raye70 said:

We always book concierge a1 or penthouse but this time on Riviera we booked a veranda because of the size.  there are verandas on Marina and Riviera with huge balconies with lounge chairs, a table and two chairs. 

they are fine if you do not mind being overlooked  😉

image.thumb.png.91daddb7d80933105d2d5a18104b4056.png

When we had a concierge last November on Marina, we found the following:  Free bags of laundry came back crammed into a bag, and suffered greatly because of it.  I ended up buying tokens for laundry and doing it myself.  I have to say, our clothes came out really well when I did it myself.  Really well. Now that the laundry machine are free to pax, this becomes a non-benefit for us.  We found that the machines on the Marina were better than past cruises using Seabourn's passenger laundry.

I found the coffee machine way up in Horizons was superior to the one in the Concierge Lounge.  Had more options, and was available earlier. So we used it.  We found the snacks available in the Concierge Lounge were marginal.  HAL did a better job with this in their Neptune lounge. By far.

That said... for longer cruises I would always book at least a concierge level for this reason:  I can order room service off the GDR menu - and we did many times of 33 days.  There are times when we are tired and just want a quiet dinner in our room, and we don't want the regular room service menu. The ability to order off the menu meant that much to us that we would pay the extra to have it.  But your mileage may vary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Extended balconies? (The group of B3 cabins on the O ships): They're just an "urban legend," not a bargain, forget you've ever heard about them....  😉😎

Agreed. Awful. Terrible. Don't book a B3 on O ships. Just don't.  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 2

Seems like I opened a can of worms 1st there is no up charge all b3 canons same price regardless the size of balcony al. All same size rooms.  They are not an urban legend and if you have nothing else to do but watch us lounging under the stars in comfort with a glass of wine enjoy,  it won’t , bother us. For the most part you will only see my feet I do not spend a lot of time in the sun and if i look up I can see you.  LTH have been reading your post as I started on Oceania in 2005 and have learned a lot at least you are not negative like a lot of people. So I will go back to no replies and enjoy my cruises my way.everybody stay well and smile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Ditto!  😄

20 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Agreed. Awful. Terrible. Don't book a B3 on O ships. Just don't.  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Stay. Away. From. B3. Extended.  😄

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

hot breakfast

bottle of bubbly

4 free pressings

You can add priority specialty reservations, spa access, tote bag,   If this list is worth $500 to you, there is your bargain.

• Like 2

Since we only eat dinner early with tables for two, we find the Concierge Class advantageous for the ability to book specialty restaurants a couple of weeks ahead of most others on the ship. Access to the spa pools in front of the ship area are very nice if you enjoy them, but if cruise is a cold weather or very port intensive cruise, this is less important. The free bags of laundry may be helpful for some, but the 3 day turnaround is too long for us. We pack rather light and find that ship's laundry machines meet our needs. Concierge lounge is of minimal value IMHO, although some enjoy access to newspapers, coffee and very light (and mostly inadequate) snacks. We never use room service, so option of a more complete menu has no value to us. As Lyn and others have stated, value depends on your cruising habits and preferences.

2 hours ago, raye70 said:

Seems like I opened a can of worms 1st there is no up charge all b3 canons same price regardless the size of balcony al. All same size rooms.  They are not an urban legend and if you have nothing else to do but watch us lounging under the stars in comfort with a glass of wine enjoy,  it won’t , bother us. For the most part you will only see my feet I do not spend a lot of time in the sun and if i look up I can see you.  LTH have been reading your post as I started on Oceania in 2005 and have learned a lot at least you are not negative like a lot of people. So I will go back to no replies and enjoy my cruises my way.everybody stay well and smile

I think people were joking  about  the urban legend

they want to keep the B3's a secret  so those in the know get to book them 😉

enjoy the cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Your point with regard to the OP's question?

Oh, golly gee, I didn't realize that that was required.  Sheesh, person, I was replying to ever so many posts.  Get it?  And that, if given the choice, my point was that no, I would pay  for it.

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

hot breakfast

bottle of bubbly

4 free pressings

Value is  subjective

Not sure why people put prices per night  as you cannot book the cruise or cabin for a few nights  🙄

just saying

We always work out the cost of a cruise " per night" as it enables us to make a comparison 'like for like"

We were quite disappointed with the Concierge element on our Riviera trip in November--PH or basic balcony for us from now on.

As happened to Kate, our laundry came back the worse for the experience.

The Concierge himself only said "no" to our requests, and to the requests of people we talked with. he even refused to do something the CD specifically sent people to him to do (notify private operators in Tenerife that we were going to miss

the port). Of course he was around begging for tips (rather unsuccessfully) on the last night/morning.

We did like the spa tub--but friends on 7 bribed their way in with the spa desk! (Would insert riff-raff joke here, but I intend to be said riff-raff on our next cruise.) 

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think people were joking  about  the urban legend

they want to keep the B3's a secret  so those in the know get to book them 😉

enjoy the cruise

Yes, I was joking. I wouldn't upgrade from a B3 to Concierge even if there was no additional charge. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser