Why do you like the Radiance?

I have read that people feel like the Radiance of the Seas is their favorite ship.  Just wondering why.  I have been on a couple other ships in the same class (Jewel, Brilliance, Serenade) and wondering if there is anything different about the Radiance.

It's been a long time since I've been on the Radiance but we just loved the size of the ship!  There's plenty to do with it not being overwhelming like some of the bigger ships (HOTS for example).  The bigger ships feel like floating amusement parks and are not to our liking at our stage in life.  They're great for young families but not for us.  I won't cruise on any RCI ships except the Radiance Class. 
We love the way the ships are laid out, the cabins, the amount of people onboard and that they usually do more unique itineraries.  We have 3 booked and 1 more in the planning stages on Radiance Class ships.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sock knitter said:

I have read that people feel like the Radiance of the Seas is their favorite ship.  Just wondering why.  I have been on a couple other ships in the same class (Jewel, Brilliance, Serenade) and wondering if there is anything different about the Radiance.

Ocean views from virtually every public venue.  Park Cafe.  Covered Solarium.

Differences from other ships: 

Radiance has shower curtains, Jewel and Serenade have shower doors.

Radiance (and Brilliance and Serenade) have Park Cafe, Jewel has some other unnamed food venue in the Solarium.

• Like 2

What everyone has said. Basically we love this class. Will be on her for the circumnavigation of Australia beginning in February.   Dh loves the propulsion system.  No I can't explain it. Also, when working,  the pool tables. 

• Like 1

Loved Radiance! Feels like a more luxury type ship compared to the bigger more modern ones. Love all the wood and windows! Views from just about everywhere.  Staff was wonderful. Feels very inviting to me.  Oh we were on in Aug 2017 and the showers had doors and not the curtain.

• Like 2

I wasn't a huge fan of the Radiance class.....yes, there is lots of glass , so you can easily see out...but I didn't enjoy the enclosed (so-called retractable roof) on the Solarium at all....it's never opened, even in good weather and that means no "adult" area for sunning.  I also sort of missed the Royal Promenade area......the "Centrum" that is the main indoor space was very crowded all the time.

I prefer the Voyager/ Freedom class ships.

34 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Radiance class.....yes, there is lots of glass , so you can easily see out...but I didn't enjoy the enclosed (so-called retractable roof) on the Solarium at all....it's never opened, even in good weather and that means no "adult" area for sunning.  I also sort of missed the Royal Promenade area......the "Centrum" that is the main indoor space was very crowded all the time.

I prefer the Voyager/ Freedom class ships.

Enclosed Solarium great in cold or wet weather.  If I want outdoors I go to the other pool.  As we have sailed Radiance in Alaska and the other ships on northern TA and Baltic cruises opening the roof wasn't high on anyone's priorities! 

• Like 1

I just spent 32 days on the Radiance this past spring. The staff is top notch, I love all the glass in the different venues and the open air seating in the Windjammer, the food in the WJ is excellent, especially for breakfast and dinner. There are multiple live music venues and the little cinema adds another fun area. I like the old fashioned outside promenade deck. The Diamond lounge is great. No, it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the big ships, but that is fine with me.

• Like 5

We sailed on Radiance a year ago. Actually we were on her exactly one year ago today in Alaska. I loved the size. Not too big, not too small. Easy to navigate and get around. No goofy half levels/deck. We had a balcony cabin for hubby, me and our 6 year old son. My mom and 10 year old twins were next door to us in an accessible room. Both rooms had shower curtains but it wasn't an issue for us at all. Lots of storage in each cabin. We enjoyed having drinks in the Schooner Bar and the "old school" wooden boat feel there. Cascades Dining Room was nice, the food was good, and our waiter Stanley was amazing. Excellent service everywhere we went, but especially from him. We like being able to walk outside on the Promenade Deck (5), the Lido Deck (10) and the track on Deck 11. The views to outside are everywhere. Even when you are using the elevators, you can see the ocean (if you get on the outside "hump" elevators). Our kids loved Adventure Ocean, and hubby and I enjoyed the quiet and view from the Viking Crown Lounge/Starquest (Deck 13), which during the day is serene and great for reading, relaxing, enjoying the view, crossword puzzles, card games, etc.

We liked her so much, we are sailing on her again next May in a TP from Hawaii.

• Like 2

Love the Radiance of the Seas. Did a Trans-Pacific on her in 2017 and in 2018 took the Celebrity Solstice on the same TP.  The Radiance layout, service, and food were all superior to the Solstice. We love the size of the ship and all the windows for the non-stop views. We will be on her once again in 2019 and cannot wait. The pool area is wonderful for adults with the food area and bar area enclosed so you do not have to walk to the Windjammer if you want a beverage or some food. Such a convenience. We liked the fact that the roof never opened. There is plenty of sunlight that comes in (glass ceiling) and as another poster said you can always go to the outside pool if the enclosure is not to your liking.

The staff was always accommodating to your needs and cabin attendants wanted to please to make sure you had a great time. 

We cannot say anything negative, however note that she is not a young ship so does show some wear and tear.  That doesn't bother us as we always felt she was neat and clean and that matters to us. If we find there is anything different next TP coming up shortly we will be sure to update this post. 

• Like 1

you get that on all Royal ships, don't you

No, in my opinion.

We have been on the Serenade three times. 4th scheduled next year. Jewel twice and Brilliance once.

You will see the crew on their knees polishing the wood frames in the floor, they take pride in their work and the product is real.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We sailed on Radiance a year ago. Actually we were on her exactly one year ago today in Alaska. I loved the size. Not too big, not too small. Easy to navigate and get around. No goofy half levels/deck. We had a balcony cabin for hubby, me and our 6 year old son. My mom and 10 year old twins were next door to us in an accessible room. Both rooms had shower curtains but it wasn't an issue for us at all. Lots of storage in each cabin. We enjoyed having drinks in the Schooner Bar and the "old school" wooden boat feel there. Cascades Dining Room was nice, the food was good, and our waiter Stanley was amazing. Excellent service everywhere we went, but especially from him. We like being able to walk outside on the Promenade Deck (5), the Lido Deck (10) and the track on Deck 11. The views to outside are everywhere. Even when you are using the elevators, you can see the ocean (if you get on the outside "hump" elevators). Our kids loved Adventure Ocean, and hubby and I enjoyed the quiet and view from the Viking Crown Lounge/Starquest (Deck 13), which during the day is serene and great for reading, relaxing, enjoying the view, crossword puzzles, card games, etc.

We liked her so much, we are sailing on her again next May in a TP from Hawaii.

Thanks for your info!  We are on the Radiance for 28 days starting in Sept. on the transpacific to Australia.  I have just been curious how different it was from the other Radiance class ships since people have said it was their favorite.  Guess I will find out in a few weeks.  We have also booked that cruise in May 2020 but will be starting in Australia.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Ocean views from virtually every public venue.  Park Cafe.  Covered Solarium.

Differences from other ships: 

Radiance has shower curtains, Jewel and Serenade have shower doors.

Radiance (and Brilliance and Serenade) have Park Cafe, Jewel has some other unnamed food venue in the Solarium.

Thanks for the info.  This is what I was looking for!

7 hours ago, 2Scots said:

Love the Radiance of the Seas. Did a Trans-Pacific on her in 2017 and in 2018 took the Celebrity Solstice on the same TP.  The Radiance layout, service, and food were all superior to the Solstice. We love the size of the ship and all the windows for the non-stop views. We will be on her once again in 2019 and cannot wait. The pool area is wonderful for adults with the food area and bar area enclosed so you do not have to walk to the Windjammer if you want a beverage or some food. Such a convenience. We liked the fact that the roof never opened. There is plenty of sunlight that comes in (glass ceiling) and as another poster said you can always go to the outside pool if the enclosure is not to your liking.

The staff was always accommodating to your needs and cabin attendants wanted to please to make sure you had a great time. 

We cannot say anything negative, however note that she is not a young ship so does show some wear and tear.  That doesn't bother us as we always felt she was neat and clean and that matters to us. If we find there is anything different next TP coming up shortly we will be sure to update this post. 

We are on the upcoming TP also!

15 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

Was fortunate to be on her inaugural voyage - before they knew the class would be a hit!

Were you on the planned inaugural voyage or the maiden revenue 3 day pre-inaugural voyage (March 26-29, 2001)?

My daughter and I were on the maiden 3-day voyage.  MDR was total chaos for the 3 days.  They hired 75%? new staff rather than moving staff from other ships. Otherwise, the ship was beautiful.

Edited by Another_Critic

Views of the sea everywhere and all that wood and glass - there is nothing better on a windy sea day than reading a good book from a cozy chair with a view of the ocean.  You really feel like you are on a ship rather than shopping mall which I can visit any day I want. Oh and how can I not mention those special balconies, sadly  I'm sworn to secrecy about the location 🤐

• Like 3