Tips to the Wait staff

lenquixote66

I am not a big time cruiser, but can remember when we cruised early on and we got envelops for every group, while inconvenient it gave us some discretion.    We always anguished about giving a little more to our room steward, our waiter/junior waiter and why did we need to give any to the head waiter/boss? 

With elimination and adding of daily gratuity, we always still leave 3-5/day for our room steward, less so for anyone in the dining room as we never get the same people anymore.  

Maybe because I'm older now and see all these young folks working so hard for a living and pursuing a dream.  That any little I give, if everyone gave, they'd be a little closer to their dream.

This past cruise I talked with our speciality dining teppanyaki cook, he was from the philippines and extending his tour 2x so he could save faster for opening a food cart.  Great story, was it made up who knows, but we had a great time with him as our cook so we tipped him an extra 30 bucks, maybe we were fools but we had a great dinner and great entertainment.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I am not a big time cruiser, but can remember when we cruised early on and we got envelops for every group, while inconvenient it gave us some discretion.    We always anguished about giving a little more to our room steward, our waiter/junior waiter and why did we need to give any to the head waiter/boss? 

With elimination and adding of daily gratuity, we always still leave 3-5/day for our room steward, less so for anyone in the dining room as we never get the same people anymore.  

Maybe because I'm older now and see all these young folks working so hard for a living and pursuing a dream.  That any little I give, if everyone gave, they'd be a little closer to their dream.

This past cruise I talked with our speciality dining teppanyaki cook, he was from the philippines and extending his tour 2x so he could save faster for opening a food cart.  Great story, was it made up who knows, but we had a great time with him as our cook so we tipped him an extra 30 bucks, maybe we were fools but we had a great dinner and great entertainment.

This is the type of point of view that I can appreciate. Thanks for showing us a positive attitude regarding tips. Too bad some people are not capable of such kindness. 

And no, you are not fools. You are the exact opposite - wise. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No, you do not have it right. 

What I said was “...if performance is below reasonable expectation, you are able to reduce/remove the automatic gratuities...”;  adding that I had never had occasion to consider it.  

I would not attempt to “penalize everyone” ... but if one person’s performance was so bad as to warrant my spending time making a fuss, I would make it clear to the hotel staff who it was , and why, and I would ensure that I left sufficient auto-gratuities in place, or made appropriate cash tips so as not to “...penalize everyone in the tipping pool...”.  

Sorry that I misread your post.  Your approach of calling out the offending person to management is the way to go.

DON

Auto gratuities relieve one of the social obligation to tip. Pay them and don't think twice about it.    

The auto gratuities do not however preclude you from tipping directly in appreciation of extra or special service or as incentive to provide additional service above and beyond the expected during the course of the cruise.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Some lines, such as P&O, have the gratuities built into the base fare so it can't be removed. Some other lines include the gratuities only for Australian or UK itineraries, especially if the ship is home ported there. Both are because of the high incident of locals removing the tips and stiffing the crew, which creates severe crew morale issues on those itineraries. 

Not all countries have the same customs as we do in the USA regarding tipping/gratuities for service in the cruise industry as well as other industries. The culture or customs in their country play a big part in if international pax do or do not favor tipping/gratuities for service in all industries, not just cruising. See the Cruise Critic article Tipping on Ships: An Australian Culture Clash. Also see a breakdown of tipping customs other than cruising in X's A Guide to Tipping Customs Around the World at https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/guide-to-tipping-customs-around-the-world. In some, tipping is not customary and can be considered rude or offensive.

2 minutes ago, TxCityKat said:

Not all countries have the same customs as we do in the USA regarding tipping/gratuities for service in the cruise industry as well as other industries. The culture or customs in their country play a big part in if international pax do or do not favor tipping/gratuities for service in all industries, not just cruising. See the Cruise Critic article Tipping on Ships: An Australian Culture Clash. Also see a breakdown of tipping customs other than cruising in X's A Guide to Tipping Customs Around the World at https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/guide-to-tipping-customs-around-the-world. In some, tipping is not customary and can be considered rude or offensive.

And in an environment where tipping is expected and makes up a significant amount of someone's income, not tipping because you come from a non-tipping culture is worse than rude because while rude hurts feelings, this hurts feelings AND pocketbook.

16 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Some lines, such as P&O, have the gratuities built into the base fare so it can't be removed. Some other lines include the gratuities only for Australian or UK itineraries, especially if the ship is home ported there. Both are because of the high incident of locals removing the tips and stiffing the crew, which creates severe crew morale issues on those itineraries. 

I'm not sure it was ever deliberately "stiffing the crew", but a lack of understanding about tipping. P&O used to supply a leaflet about the tradition of tipping on cruise liners, which was helpful for people who wouldn't normally tip very much, or at all, in their shore bound lives. The notion of a certain sum a day wasn't understood nor appreciated- and I've heard endless discussions on board ships sailing out of the UK, mainly from people puzzled as to why they have to give extra for people just doing their job. 

23 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And in an environment where tipping is expected and makes up a significant amount of someone's income, not tipping because you come from a non-tipping culture is worse than rude because while rude hurts feelings, this hurts feelings AND pocketbook.

Of course it does; the reason, though is- how do you know what is expected? We had to be told by our tour representative when we first visited the USA, or we would never have known to tip, nor how much. The amount is rarely placed in tourist brochures or cruise line adverts.

Most countries we've visited don't use the tips as a significant amount of one's income... we need telling the rules- or is it the law? I still don't know the rules/ law in North America.

44 minutes ago, TxCityKat said:

The usual excuse trotted out to justify selfish behavior - "In my country we don't do X, so I will not adhere to your customs because I don't want to". Your comment is worse than rubbish.

I travel extensively. Never have I been so arrogant as to impose my own country's customs on the countries I visited. I visit them with the full awareness that different ways of doing things there should be respected. As long as I am a guest in a country, I don't moan and groan that things aren't done like at home. I follow the local customs like the gracious guest that I prefer to be. 

Cruising on a ship that is headquartered in the US and follows US customs is no different than visiting the US itself. 

There is only one group who consistently insists that because something is done in their country that it should be done the same way everywhere else. And these are same the people who remove gratuities on cruise ships on which the employee pay custom and policies are tipping based. 

And these same arrogant people would be the first to complain about "ugly Americans" imposing their customs while visiting their own countries. They are the height of hypocrisy. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

11 minutes ago, jocap said:

Of course it does; the reason, though is- how do you know what is expected? We had to be told by our tour representative when we first visited the USA, or we would never have known to tip, nor how much. The amount is rarely placed in tourist brochures or cruise line adverts.

Most countries we've visited don't use the tips as a significant amount of one's income... we need telling the rules- or is it the law? I still don't know the rules/ law in North America.

That one comment is about the most laughable one I have read today!!!!! 

I will bet that you did much research on what region of the world to cruise, what cruise line to book, what itinerary to go on, what time of year to go, what stateroom category to stay in, what is interesting in the ports to be visited, what excursions are available there. Yet, you can't be bothered to research what the policies are on that ship and what is expected of you while on board.

What a convenient crock of horse manure. 🙄

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SantaFeFan said:

That one comment is about the most laughable one I have read today!!!!! 

I will bet that you did much research on what region of the world to cruise, what cruise line to book, what itinerary to go on, what time of year to go, what stateroom category to stay in, what is interesting in the ports to be visited, what excursions are available there. Yet, you can't be bothered to research what the policies are on that ship and what is expected of you while on board.

What a convenient crock of horse manure. 🙄

I tried answering gently... no, it wasn't a cruise, but an unexpected trip to Orlando in the '90s, our first excursion on a package tour to the USA. We had researched much about where we were going, but obviously tipping never entered our heads- and the tour rep knew this, which was why she drew us together and told us the customs. 

32 minutes ago, jocap said:

I tried answering gently... no, it wasn't a cruise, but an unexpected trip to Orlando in the '90s, our first excursion on a package tour to the USA. We had researched much about where we were going, but obviously tipping never entered our heads- and the tour rep knew this, which was why she drew us together and told us the customs. 

Anyone who travels internationally on expensive and long vacations without doing due diligence of what to expect when getting there is being foolhardy. Information on local customs world wide has always been available, either in travel books and magazines or on the internet today. To tip or not to tip has always been a subject that these sources cover if a person bothers to read it. There is a legal principal that reads "Ignorantia juris non excusat", which is Latin for "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Although knowledge of the local customs where a person will be visiting is not a law, the basic principal is still relevant.

"I did not know" is not a viable excuse when you will be participating in a tipping culture.

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I was going to write this but you did a better job.  I hate it that the US has this 'culture' but it does and I'm not going to punish people.

It's interesting to note that P&O (UK) have recently removed autotips from all their cruises, and have made a great play of this in their advertising.  I belong to a couple of P&O social forums,  and there have been no adverse comments about any consequent lowering of standards, poor staff morale etc. since the new system came into force. Whilst the crew are obviously not allowed to speak in detail about their t&c's, those that spoke in general terms, said that P&O had ensured that they would be no worse off financially than before.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:52 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We always tip our Waiters,Aast. Waiters and sometimes Head Waiters. I was talking to a neighbor today who goes on close to 10 cruises a year. He said he never tips the Wait staff no matter how good they are or even if they do special things for him.

I know there are threads her on this subject but I could not find any and I cannot recall a discussion in 2019.I am wondering how people feel especially since the daily across the board gratuities have gone up so much .

Our  waiter and assistant waiter on celebrity edge were absolute class. 

Two people giving their all to make my dining experience wonderful.

They didnt have to be that good.

They were

They both got an envelope on our last night with aa cash tip.

It was the least we could do.

My wife is now linked with them on Facebook and regularly messages them.

Would happily share a beer with them both anytime

Not sure about the head waiter. Slightly pompous types acting like they were slightly too important. In my opinion.

Opinions eh?

On a cruise several years ago we were seated with stranger for dinner.Every night they requested food that was not on the menu .On the last night my wife and I tipped the wait staff but the other people did not .

On their way out one of them found a nickel on the floor and gave it to the waiter saying “this is for you,you deserve it.”

30 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Not sure about the head waiter. Slightly pompous types acting like they were slightly too important. In my opinion.

I sometimes will make that person my short term 'project.'  Really lay it on.  See if I can win them over.  I'd say I'm about 50/50 so far 🙂

On 8/14/2019 at 7:52 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We always tip our Waiters,Aast. Waiters and sometimes Head Waiters. I was talking to a neighbor today who goes on close to 10 cruises a year. He said he never tips the Wait staff no matter how good they are or even if they do special things for him.

I know there are threads her on this subject but I could not find any and I cannot recall a discussion in 2019.I am wondering how people feel especially since the daily across the board gratuities have gone up so much .

The crew know who he is and it is a testament to their professionalism that they don't treat him like he should be treated.    

On 8/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, K32682 said:

Auto gratuities relieve one of the social obligation to tip. Pay them and don't think twice about it.    

The auto gratuities do not however preclude you from tipping directly in appreciation of extra or special service or as incentive to provide additional service above and beyond the expected during the course of the cruise.   

The guests that are high maintenance that crew go above and beyond for, are rarely self aware of  how they come across and oblivious to the concept that a couple of bucks go a long way.  I do believe some of those guests who tip out the very first day are very aware of their high maintenance partners and it is the biggest reason they tip first.

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I do believe some of those guests who tip out the very first day are very aware of their high maintenance partners and it is the biggest reason they tip first.

Interesting take.  I'll still call it a bribe but an interesting idea.

I'd like to ask a general question.  With auto-gratuities are the people receiving parts of this money making or not making a 'livable wage.'  Granted they're not paying rent or buying groceries but factoring that in, is it adequate?  If you have completely acceptable service but nothing really beyond that, I'm inclined to stick with the auto.  ???

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 8:23 AM, chipmaster said:

Man-oh-man, am I glad the envelope days are gone.  It was kind of a pain to make sure we brought the right mix of bills so we could fill each envelope with the suggested amounts. 

And then, the last night when everyone was supposed to bring their envelopes,  a third of the chairs in the main dining room would be empty!