Tips to the Wait staff

lenquixote66

8 hours ago, K32682 said:

most restaurants there apply a service charge to meals.   It is also why in the UK even modest gratuities can have a positive effect on service.  

Possibly in London, but I can't  remember the last time I had to pay a service charge in a restaurant in the UK. I also don't see how leaving a gratuity can have a positive effect on service, as you give it after the service has been given. 

It doesn't. At all.

Tipping in the uk is rare except as you say in london. And even then it's not that common.

I know this is a generalisation but I love America folks perceptions of what british people are like or do.

I am sure they think we all talk like dick van dyke doff our caps to royalty and religiously stand in line for everything for hours.

When the truth is probably the opposite.

We protest a lot.we hate the ruling classes. 

We dont tip just because someone has told us to. We use our freedom of speech and expression to the max because no one can stop us. We dont feel a need to sing the national anthem as a rule. Mainly because it's about god and the queen. Neither of which most of us care about or believe in.

I mean "god the save the queen"???? If it was someone save the health service I would sing along.

And anyway the queen 134 years old already.

And we wont tip for rubbish service.

So ends the british education lesson.

Edited by DarrenM
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Possibly in London, but I can't  remember the last time I had to pay a service charge in a restaurant in the UK. I also don't see how leaving a gratuity can have a positive effect on service, as you give it after the service has been given. 

Tipping can have a positive effect if you are staying in a place for several days.  Years ago friends and I were staying at a small hotel in the suburbs of London where breakfast was included with the room charge.  The breakfast was served by an older woman who was unpleasant and painfully slow.  Forget any thoughts of a refill of coffee or tea.

At the conclusion of our first breakfast I suggested to my two companions that we each leave a pound coin beside our plate and despite their protestations they agreed.  The effect was quite noticeable the next morning and for the rest of the week.   We were greeted with a smile, served first even if there were others waiting and our coffee and tea mugs were never empty much to the dismay of the parsimonious Pommies who sat and waited until we were served. 🙂

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Tipping can have a positive effect if you are staying in a place for several days.  Years ago friends and I were staying at a small hotel in the suburbs of London where breakfast was included with the room charge.  The breakfast was served by an older woman who was unpleasant and painfully slow.  Forget any thoughts of a refill of coffee or tea.

At the conclusion of our first breakfast I suggested to my two companions that we each leave a pound coin beside our plate and despite their protestations they agreed.  The effect was quite noticeable the next morning and for the rest of the week.   We were greeted with a smile, served first even if there were others waiting and our coffee and tea mugs were never empty much to the dismay of the parsimonious Pommies who sat and waited until we were served. 🙂

What you described is what I have experienced on many occasions. Yes, they do not have a tipping culture and seem to be proud of it with so many "we are better than you because of it" comments on tipping threads. But the service provided is inferior to anything I experience in other parts of the world, tips or no tips. It must be a national badge of honor to provide surly, barely adequate service. 

Sorry if feathers have been ruffled. I wish I couldn't report such observations. My comment may upset you, but that experience directly affected my enjoyment of meals in your country.  

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Why do servers try to serve you at the buffets?

They don't "try to serve you". They are only providing a nice touch to make your meal a bit more pleasant by allowing you to relax and enjoy your meal without interruption. I guess to you that extra touch is a huge distraction? 

There are tea and coffee machines and all the food is easily viewable and accessible.

Someone came along with a tea trolley on edge and asked us if we wanted coffee??????

Again, it's a convenience offered if you wanted to use it. Nothing more.

We already had some and the machine was just a few feet from where we were sat.

Not everyone is able to sit so close as you did. Other people may have found the service helpful.

There was no need for a server at breakfast like this. Unless they were serving the disabled or extremely lazy folk.

Another of you typically insulting comments. You must have been a server in the UK to have perfected your surly attitude and negative comments you routinely display on these boards. 

So tipping at breakfast was never gonna happen. NEVER.

We get it. You aren't a generous person.

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

What you described is what I have experienced on many occasions. Yes, they do not have a tipping culture and seem to be proud of it with so many "we are better than you because of it" comments on tipping threads. But the service provided is inferior to anything I experience in other parts of the world, tips or no tips. It must be a national badge of honor to provide surly, barely adequate service. 

Sorry if feathers have been ruffled. I wish I couldn't report such observations. My comment may upset you, but that experience directly affected my enjoyment of meals in your country.  

I am curious but what is considered "good service"? I see this comment a lot but I always wonder what it is people expect from their servers. I don't know if I have low expectations but I'm just happy to recieve my food. As long as that happens service is good as far as I'm concerned🤗.

3 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

I think it is a little unfair to call someone ungenerous because they limit where they give extra tips. This commenter isn't the only one who picks the staff they choose to give extra tips I've seen plenty of comments on this thread where they say there are certain staff they give extra money and I have yet to read anyone who said they give to the whole crew extra tips. At the end of the day we all have limited funds so all of us can only be so generous.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am curious but what is considered "good service"? I see this comment a lot but I always wonder what it is people expect from their servers. I don't know if I have low expectations but I'm just happy to recieve my food. As long as that happens service is good as far as I'm concerned🤗.

There is much more than just receiving the food!

Good service would be not having to wait more than a few minutes to be acknowledged after being seated and a few more before being waited upon. 

Good service would be the server being attentive and occasionally coming by to ask if everything is satisfactory and if I needed anything else.

Good service would be the server removing the used dishes soon after I finished my meal and bringing the check right away so I do not have to wait an extended time with dirty dishes in front of me. 

Good service would be the server appearing to appreciate that I am there by displaying at least a cursory smile and a welcoming attitude. 

I think it is a little unfair to call someone ungenerous because they limit where they give extra tips. This commenter isn't the only one who picks the staff they choose to give extra tips I've seen plenty of comments on this thread where they say there are certain staff they give extra money and I have yet to read anyone who said they give to the whole crew extra tips. At the end of the day we all have limited funds so all of us can only be so generous.

You are only considering the one post by the poster in question. His past posts show a pattern of complaining, insulting, and boasting that he disapproves of the tipping system in place and the ways he tries to avoid participating in it. For a one time cruiser with less than 500 posts, he positions himself as the expert on the topic with only his views worthy of consideration.

So no, it is not unfair to describe the position he has taken on tipping, a position he has made abundantly clear in his short history on CC. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

They don't "try to serve you". They are only providing a nice touch to make your meal a bit more pleasant by allowing you to relax and enjoy your meal without interruption. I guess to you that extra touch is a huge distraction? 

Again, it's a convenience offered if you wanted to use it. Nothing more.

Not everyone is able to sit so close as you did. Other people may have found the service helpful.

Another of you typically insulting comments. You must have been a server in the UK to have perfected your surly attitude and negative comments you routinely display on these boards. 

If only I had the time today. Some good sport to be had here.

Oh go on you have tempted me.

Event though I am in party mode after a remarkable Ashes win today

You seem to reel out insults and personal stuff at will. Thats a very dangerous trait.

You see I dont go for insulting folk like that. 

I discuss things. 

But I am prepared to make an exception for you.

This keyboard warrior stuff is quite easy isnt it.

Maybe I should complain to the moderators?

45 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

If only I had the time today. Some good sport to be had here.

37 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Oh go on you have tempted me.

Event though I am in party mode after a remarkable Ashes win today

You seem to reel out insults and personal stuff at will. Thats a very dangerous trait.

You see I dont go for insulting folk like that. 

I discuss things. 

But I am prepared to make an exception for you.

This keyboard warrior stuff is quite easy isnt it.

Maybe I should complain to the moderators?

You are showing your true stripes. You aren't interested in a discussion. You are only interested in causing trouble. In your short time on Cruise Critic, you have shown everyone that you are more interested in trolling threads to create a stir than in holding mature discussions. You joined only a month ago and you haven't yet offered anything helpful, only posting comments to stroke your ego. 

Go ahead and contact the moderators. They just might remove even more of you posts than they have already done. Must be proud moments for you when your posts are removed. It means you succeeded in yet another trolling goal. 

Respond in whatever derisive way you want. I won't be reading anymore of your trolling posts. I have now taken advantage of the blocking feature on CC.

You won't be missed. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Hold on a moment.

Read this thread back.

I have discussed this at length and also stated that we tip extra.

But crack on. You clearly dont read everything written.

Did you not read where the poster had put you on their ignore list? They won't see any of your posts.

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Hold on a moment.

Read this thread back.

I have discussed this at length and also stated that we tip extra.

But crack on. You clearly dont read everything written.

Hmmm. Since Sloopsailor probably won't respond because he has blocked you (which is what I probably should do as well), let me re-post a few examples of your troll type posts - posts I shook my head in disbelief when I read them. Not all are about tipping, but all are classic trolling behavior:

(it's a slow Sunday afternoon and too hot to go outside, so yes, I have nothing better to do than point out your comments)

AUGUST 17th:

"I decide who I tip. Not some unwritten rule that a cruise ship has.

I tipped generously to my two waiters because they made meals times a joy.

If they hadn't they would have got nothing

I said this before and got shouted down. If cruise staff rely on tips and its expected they get them them the cruise lines are underpayimg them deliberately and its almost slave labour."

AUGUST 16th:

"But I dont like being ripped off by money hungry corporations.

The worst of their behaviour being the ridiculous charge for WIFI. They charge it because they can. Not because they need to. They dont have a team working behind the scenes on the WIFI Engine. Its just a thing. Its there if no one uses it and its there if 2000 folk use it. Its just a rip off. A scam.

So I pay for what I want upfront, decent cabin, drinks package, and nowt else.

There you go. Up the revolution."

AUGUST 6th:

"Ok. Who cares if it's an hour late leaving?

And why?

Surely it cant be because some are so pompous that even the ship leaving late offends them?

Let's be brutally honest here.

The ship leaving late has absolutely no effect whatsoever on what folk do on the ship. It doesn't alter your dining time. It doesn't make the shows late. It doesn't shut the bars. And it doesn't stop you sun bathing 

What on earth is the problem?"

AUGUST 5th:

"Seriously are there people that do this sort of thing?

It's not like ice cream is a served all day or anything. 

Some people are not just selfish and ignorant but are incredibly stupid too.

Get your friends to join the queue you stupid git."

AUGUST 5th:

"I would hope that he was punched in the face"

AUGUST 4th:

"Can I just say some of you take some comments way too seriously.

I didn't actually mean that I would eat a child for example.

Relax folks it's a just a forum"

AUGUST 3rd:

"So it wouldnt be prudent to do a Peter Griffin impersonation and shout oh my God kids.

To be honest I dont mind getting there to find children on the menu.

Couldn't eat a whole one though"

and 

"So let me get this right. If on our next  cruise we ask to be sat with others, we could end up with a child on our table?

And that's without even seeing the menu?

Seriously a child? Shudders

I think I will stick to a table for 2."

Edited by PTMary

31 minutes ago, Catclaws said:

New to cruising.  With premium drink packages do you get charged for tips when receiving drinks?  I know they charge a fee when purchasing the drink package.  Thank you.

Depends on the cruise line. Most include the gratuities in all drink packages, so they will be prepaid and you don't have to tip unless you want to for stellar service. We never had additional gratuities charged when ordering a drink when using a drink package on Celebrity or Princess, for instance. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Oh, but it can.  We make it a habit to leave a dollar for each drink served starting with the first day.  By the second day, the bartender will remember us and will be reaching for my favorite bourbon before I even take a seat.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Oh, but it can.  We make it a habit to leave a dollar for each drink served starting with the first day.  By the second day, the bartender will remember us and will be reaching for my favorite bourbon before I even take a seat.  

In the UK it is quite easy. You go to the bar,  make eye contact with the bar person, and when it is your turn, you get served. If you think someone was in front of you in the queue when you are about to be served, you will obviously say "they were first ", and you will receive a "cheers mate" in reply. No money changes hands, everyone is happy, and if you ask for a bourbon, everyone in the pub will think you are a complete tosser!

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the UK it is quite easy. You go to the bar,  make eye contact with the bar person, and when it is your turn, you get served. If you think someone was in front of you in the queue when you are about to be served, you will obviously say "they were first ", and you will receive a "cheers mate" in reply. No money changes hands, everyone is happy, and if you ask for a bourbon, everyone in the pub will think you are a complete tosser!

I'm sure it is but we're talking about how things are done on cruise ships.  

11 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

There is much more than just receiving the food!

Good service would be not having to wait more than a few minutes to be acknowledged after being seated and a few more before being waited upon. 

Good service would be the server being attentive and occasionally coming by to ask if everything is satisfactory and if I needed anything else.

Good service would be the server removing the used dishes soon after I finished my meal and bringing the check right away so I do not have to wait an extended time with dirty dishes in front of me. 

Good service would be the server appearing to appreciate that I am there by displaying at least a cursory smile and a welcoming attitude.

Thanks for this, I always wondered what other people look for in their service. I must seem very uncouth to you😜. The only thing I relate to is waiting too long for something. I agree that is bothersome. Otherwise the other stuff isn't really a deal breaker for me. Even leaving empty plates I have had that happen at lots of tapas and yum cha places and unless it is actually making the table too crowded which by then the servers have always removed them I never really thought twice about it and to be honest I personally prefer it when they don't ask if everything is alright in the mddle of a meal. My impression has always been that it is disingenuous. You last point reminded me of something I was told about South Korea that the attidude is that it is the customer who should appreciate being serviced whereas the server has no obligation to reciprocate it. Apparently it is why Westerners complain about Korean restuarants being rude😂.

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks! This pretty much supports what many of us have described, especially the tip pooling, the lists identifying the people who remove the tips, and the effect on the crew that removing tips creates. And I agree with the idea of not calling it a gratuity. More people would leave them in place if the words "tips" and "gratuity" were eliminated. 

It interesting that in the point o

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

It interesting that that the crew member says that it would be better to have higher salaries than gratuities. I guess the tax exempt status of the gratuities does not make up for the people who remove them.