Cruise Critic Community
Duffysmom

Island Princess

5 hours ago, villauk said:

Thanks for the reply. It’s not a Panama cruise and it appears there aren’t any available cabins on Promenade deck at this time. There are some available on the Emerald deck directly above PR716, are they the same?

This is the link to the website that will tell you all about the balconies. http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

We were on the Island for a partial Panama Canal transit in April 2017 (over Easter).  We LOVED the ship and the cruise.  I was nervous going in because I'd read so many terrible reviews. Hubby and I were traveling with my parents, and his mom and his Aunt.  The Aunt can be cantankerous and makes it known when she is displeased.  My MIL and her sister were in an aft cabin (not on the promenade deck) and LOVED their cabin.  It was one of the newly added ones.  I saw it and I also thought it was nice.  Hubby and I and my parents had neighboring mini-suites, I think on Dolphin, and enjoyed them as well.  While there is no International Cafe, there is a coffee bar in the Piazza and I think I remember there being pastries.  After our breakfast mornings we adorned to the coffee bar for after breakfast lattes, so we weren't looking for food (yet).  We liked the buffet layout, it was bright, clean and open and there was a good selection of desserts and sweets.  Didn't notice congestion issues during peak times like on the Ruby and Emerald.  The covered pool pictured in this thread with the tiki/Buddha theme is adults only, if I remember correctly and so are the loungers in the area surrounding it.  It seemed to be the best place on the ship for a nap because mostly everyone in a lounger was snoozing.  That pool was deep and very nice.

Did Alaska on the Island Princess last month.  The ship is small but I like the smaller ships much more than the floating amusement parks that now ply the waters.  Our mini suite (Dolphin aft) was comfortable and had plenty of storage room.  Had some vibrations especially during early morning docking and squeaks during the rougher parts of the voyage, but you get use to it.  The one con I have with this ship is that the public areas used for some of their programs are just too small and can't handle the crowds so you either have to get there way too early or just skip them as we did and catch them on replay on the TV.  Food was fine (didn't lose any weight), entertainment was fair, though nothing to write home about.  Crew staff were friendly.  Didn't care for the CD at all.  Got the flimsiest robes we've ever had on a cruise.  

On 9/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Interesting. We will be going through the PC in January on the Island in our Aloha deck vista suite in January. Are you saying all aft cabin balconies are off limits while going through the locks?

Ken, are you going to be on the 58 day South American cruise? If so, Waynetor and I will be some fellow Oceania cruisers on it too!

19 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Ken, are you going to be on the 58 day South American cruise? If so, Waynetor and I will be some fellow Oceania cruisers on it too!

Cool. We're just doing the first 25 days and getting off at Santiago. Maybe we'll see you onboard!