Island Princess

Duffysmom

5 hours ago, villauk said:

Thanks for the reply. It’s not a Panama cruise and it appears there aren’t any available cabins on Promenade deck at this time. There are some available on the Emerald deck directly above PR716, are they the same?

This is the link to the website that will tell you all about the balconies. http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

• Thanks 1

We were on the Island for a partial Panama Canal transit in April 2017 (over Easter).  We LOVED the ship and the cruise.  I was nervous going in because I'd read so many terrible reviews. Hubby and I were traveling with my parents, and his mom and his Aunt.  The Aunt can be cantankerous and makes it known when she is displeased.  My MIL and her sister were in an aft cabin (not on the promenade deck) and LOVED their cabin.  It was one of the newly added ones.  I saw it and I also thought it was nice.  Hubby and I and my parents had neighboring mini-suites, I think on Dolphin, and enjoyed them as well.  While there is no International Cafe, there is a coffee bar in the Piazza and I think I remember there being pastries.  After our breakfast mornings we adorned to the coffee bar for after breakfast lattes, so we weren't looking for food (yet).  We liked the buffet layout, it was bright, clean and open and there was a good selection of desserts and sweets.  Didn't notice congestion issues during peak times like on the Ruby and Emerald.  The covered pool pictured in this thread with the tiki/Buddha theme is adults only, if I remember correctly and so are the loungers in the area surrounding it.  It seemed to be the best place on the ship for a nap because mostly everyone in a lounger was snoozing.  That pool was deep and very nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did Alaska on the Island Princess last month.  The ship is small but I like the smaller ships much more than the floating amusement parks that now ply the waters.  Our mini suite (Dolphin aft) was comfortable and had plenty of storage room.  Had some vibrations especially during early morning docking and squeaks during the rougher parts of the voyage, but you get use to it.  The one con I have with this ship is that the public areas used for some of their programs are just too small and can't handle the crowds so you either have to get there way too early or just skip them as we did and catch them on replay on the TV.  Food was fine (didn't lose any weight), entertainment was fair, though nothing to write home about.  Crew staff were friendly.  Didn't care for the CD at all.  Got the flimsiest robes we've ever had on a cruise.  

On 9/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Interesting. We will be going through the PC in January on the Island in our Aloha deck vista suite in January. Are you saying all aft cabin balconies are off limits while going through the locks?

Ken, are you going to be on the 58 day South American cruise? If so, Waynetor and I will be some fellow Oceania cruisers on it too!

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 7:11 PM, partybarbie said:

I found a picture of the cabin for you.  This is PR716.  We were comp'd a day in the Sanctuary, or we could take the equivalent in shipboard credits, for our inconvenience of not being able to use the balcony on the Canal Day.  We took the credit, but honestly, there was only about a total one hour, in the entire day, that we couldn't be out there. 

IMG_4206.JPG

I realize this thread is from last fall, but was wondering if you had any insight on PR723/PR722? It looks like PR723 is a couple cabins down from PR716, and the deck plan shows a blank space between PR722 & PR718.  I am interested in booking one of these cabins but haven't seen very many posts or reviews, other than yours 🙂  

16 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I realize this thread is from last fall, but was wondering if you had any insight on PR723/PR722? It looks like PR723 is a couple cabins down from PR716, and the deck plan shows a blank space between PR722 & PR718.  I am interested in booking one of these cabins but haven't seen very many posts or reviews, other than yours 🙂  

Are the 'barrel chairs' back?  I note one in the photo.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Are the 'barrel chairs' back?  I note one in the photo.

I think that photo is a couple years old, so not sure about the current chair status.  I only quoted it because I was hoping Party Barbie would provide some more info on the promenade deck balcony rooms.  

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I think that photo is a couple years old, so not sure about the current chair status.  I only quoted it because I was hoping Party Barbie would provide some more info on the promenade deck balcony rooms.  

Hi.  You should use the "@" to tag a fellow CC member.  If you do , they get a notice.  Otherwise it more random happenstance.  Press the "@" symbol and then slowly begin to type the CC handle name.  As you do so, a drop-down list appears and once you see the handle you want, just click on it and you get this result:  @partybarbie.  Perhaps someone else who has been in one of those may reply since you re-activated the old thread.  We have been on the Island, but not in that location.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hi.  You should use the "@" to tag a fellow CC member.  If you do , they get a notice.  Otherwise it more random happenstance.  Press the "@" symbol and then slowly begin to type the CC handle name.  As you do so, a drop-down list appears and once you see the handle you want, just click on it and you get this result:  @partybarbie.  Perhaps someone else who has been in one of those may reply since you re-activated the old thread.  We have been on the Island, but not in that location.

Thanks for the heads up.  Whenever someone quotes one of my posts I get an email notification.  I assumed she would get the same. 

@partybarbie do you recall anything about the blank space noted between 718/722?  I was just curious if it was a crew space or what it was, since I can't tell from exterior pictures how the balconies are laid out.  I'd like to book 722 or 723, but was curious if there were really no other balconies next to them.  Your posts on the promenade balconies were the only ones I could find using the search feature.  

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 8.18.26 PM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I want to say that the blank space on the deck plan is a hallway to a door that goes out to the Promenade Deck.  I can't be absolutely sure,  as it was over three years ago.  Maybe someone that has been on the ship more recently will chime in.  

1 minute ago, partybarbie said:

I want to say that the blank space on the deck plan is a hallway to a door that goes out to the Promenade Deck.  I can't be absolutely sure,  as it was over three years ago.  Maybe someone that has been on the ship more recently will chime in.  

I knew it was a long shot, and I appreciate your input.  Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

@partybarbie do you recall anything about the blank space noted between 718/722?  I was just curious if it was a crew space or what it was, since I can't tell from exterior pictures how the balconies are laid out.  I'd like to book 722 or 723, but was curious if there were really no other balconies next to them.  Your posts on the promenade balconies were the only ones I could find using the search feature.  

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 8.18.26 PM.png

Sorry the doors to the Promenade are a little more forward, by the restrooms.  Not really sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Whenever someone quotes one of my posts I get an email notification.  I assumed she would get the same. 

True, but then you also mentioned her handle in another post that wasn't a reply to her.  But I see she has seen it all and replied.  And yes, the exit doors to Promenade outdoors are just above the clip you took of the deck plan - just beyond the bathrooms.  I am not sure anymore what that blank space is... could be storage or access to some mechanical aspects.

Here is the best exterior shot I could find using Google and spending about five minutes:

6957-1447539281.jpg

OR....

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/island-princess-279/ship-exterior-371149/ship-exterior--v16770864/