Carnival Sunrise NYC Terminal relocation 9/16/19

Jamman54

Just got this email from Carnival. Won't affect us since we'll be using a car service that day, but what about the people driving in, especially if we return to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal when the cruise is over? This could turn out to be a real cluster....:classic_wacko:

image.thumb.png.75ad6c77c38fc55074d13590c69ac198.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

The letter seems clear to me and will probably be sent to every passenger.  I'm not sure what your question is.

No question, just sharing information. 

Well actually a few thoughts pop into my head. First, for how many cruises will this relocation last? Secondly, will leaving NYC for Bermuda late cause us to arrive in Bermuda later? I know that the Captain can make up some time.

Edited by Jamman54

6 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

The letter seems clear to me and will probably be sent to every passenger.  I'm not sure what your question is.

What the letter doesn't say is which terminal the cruiseship will return to! That could develop significantly into the cluster... that Jeff is referring to!

• Like 1

Seeing other mentions on Facebook that the cruise after ours will also leave from Brooklyn...so assume we're doing a roundtrip. 

I'm upset that I will now incur a much much larger uber/taxi bill to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station and spend 100 dollars more than if leaving from Manhattan and we're losing time onboard. 

Just stinks all around. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

NYC is my homeport and i've been sailing out of this terminal for years. i am confused by this letter

The two main cruises piers were always pier 88 and 90. Norwegian ships usually use pier 88 and Carnival and other ships used pier 90. These are the two terminals  i always sailed out of . For my Sunrise cruise in June a few months ago, the ship sailed out of pier 90. 

Pier 92 has not been a cruise terminal for nearly 10 years or so and is now mostly event space for various trade shows. Construction on Pier 92 should not have an effect on pier 90 or pier 88 

The Carnival Sunrise is the only ship in port on that date, carnival could of used pier 88 instead

Edited by shof515

Looks like we'll now have to be one of the first off the ship because we've already booked tickets to go to the top of the One World Observatory and now have a much longer taxi ride to get there. And instead of taking the subway to the airport and saving money that way, we might end up having to take a taxi again. 

Another scenario just popped into my head. Say that at the end of our Bermuda cruise Carnival is given the okay to go back to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Do they A). Go directly back to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and then transport those passengers that parked in Brooklyn, back to Brooklyn to pick up their vehicles?. Or do they B). Stop in Brooklyn to debark the ship before heading back to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to embark the next cruise? Now we are doing a B2B. If they choose option (B), will we have to debark in Brooklyn and be transported to Manhattan to embark the ship there after she moves from Brooklyn to Manhattan? I know that B2B er's were not allowed to remain on board when a few cruises repositioned from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. :classic_cool:

5 minutes ago, shof515 said:

NYC is my homeport and i've been sailing out of this terminal for years. i am confused by this letter

The two main cruises piers were always pier 88 and 90. Norwegian ships usually use pier 88 and Carnival and other ships used pier 90. These are the two mains i always sailed out of . For my Sunrise cruise in June a few months ago, the ship sailed out of pier 90. 

Pier 92 has not been a cruise terminal for nearly 10 years or so and is now mostly event space for various trade shows. Construction on Pier 92 should not have an effect on pier 90 or pier 88 

The Carnival Sunrise is the only ship in port on that date, carnival could of used pier 88 instead

I'm puzzled by this as well. In 20 cruises out of New York we only sailed out of Pier 92 once, and that was over 15 years ago. Makes no sense to me but there must be a reason. :classic_wacko:

9 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Seeing other mentions on Facebook that the cruise after ours will also leave from Brooklyn...so assume we're doing a roundtrip. 

I'm upset that I will now incur a much much larger uber/taxi bill to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station and spend 100 dollars more than if leaving from Manhattan and we're losing time onboard. 

Just stinks all around. 

If what you say is true, then as a B2B er, we have no worries. I have a feeling that once she switches over to Brooklyn she'll be there for the remainder of her season here in NYC. :classic_cool:

For you seasoned NYC cruisers, our plan was to go to one of the top decks during sail away to get a view of the city (and Statue of Liberty). Will that change with the terminal change? Or should we just enjoy ourselves on our balcony?

1 minute ago, jlacy1987 said:

For you seasoned NYC cruisers, our plan was to go to one of the top decks during sail away to get a view of the city (and Statue of Liberty). Will that change with the terminal change? Or should we just enjoy ourselves on our balcony?

Sailing out of Brooklyn, you miss seeing  lower Manhattan skyline and some parts of the statue of library 

1 hour ago, Garth2 said:

Question is that some people have arranged park ride and cruise out of NJ and it might not be honored because of the distance

32 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

If what you say is true, then as a B2B er, we have no worries. I have a feeling that once she switches over to Brooklyn she'll be there for the remainder of her season here in NYC. :classic_cool:

I am on the October 6th cruise and we received an email today that we are also leaving out of Brooklyn, in fact it had for cruise dates 9/22/201, 9/29/2019, and 10/06/2019 on the letterhead.

3 minutes ago, mandmcruise said:

I am on the October 6th cruise and we received an email today that we are also leaving out of Brooklyn, in fact it had for cruise dates 9/22/201, 9/29/2019, and 10/06/2019 on the letterhead.

There you go, feeling confirmed! :classic_cool:

52 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Another scenario just popped into my head. Say that at the end of our Bermuda cruise Carnival is given the okay to go back to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Do they A). Go directly back to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and then transport those passengers that parked in Brooklyn, back to Brooklyn to pick up their vehicles?. Or do they B). Stop in Brooklyn to debark the ship before heading back to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to embark the next cruise? Now we are doing a B2B. If they choose option (B), will we have to debark in Brooklyn and be transported to Manhattan to embark the ship there after she moves from Brooklyn to Manhattan? I know that B2B er's were not allowed to remain on board when a few cruises repositioned from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. :classic_cool:

This is what I was thinking when you first posted, I thought about parking.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Hi Jamman----haven't cruised with you for awhile. Thanks for the info. We have an MSC cruise leaving (supposedly port 90) on Oct. 18. I'll call them and ask about it------perhaps even make them aware of it! We've done 2 MSC cruises because they gave us the Diamond equivalency -- lots of nice perks, however, no matter what others may say about Carnival service, courtesy, and knowledge there is NO COMPARISON. Carnival has it together and generally knows what they're doing. MSC is still trying to get their attitudes changed from the European model!

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

This is what I was thinking when you first posted. 

Glad we don't have to worry about that now. I feel bad for the people that booked hotels and made plans based on sailing out of Manhattan. I also feel bad for those that have never sailed from Manhattan and will not get the full sail away experience of sailing down the Hudson River. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chocolate melting cake said:

Hi Jamman----haven't cruised with you for awhile. Thanks for the info. We have an MSC cruise leaving (supposedly port 90) on Oct. 18. I'll call them and ask about it

MSC will most likely dock at pier 88. Pier 88 is usually for the bigger ships like the MSC Meraviglia, Carnival Vista/Horizon and Norwegian Escape/Encore/Bliss

2 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Glad we don't have to worry about that now. I feel bad for the people that booked hotels and made plans based on sailing out of Manhattan. I also feel bad for those that have never sailed from Manhattan and will not get the full sail away experience of sailing down the Hudson River. :classic_cool:

That's the only thing that makes me feel bad, I have never been to NYC let alone sailed out of her.  Was so looking forward of sailing on the Hudson past the Statue of Liberty.  We have our hotel booked in Manhattan and has been since last October, I believe we are going to stick with it as there is more to see and do and we are coming in on Saturday morning.

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

Cruises on 9/22. 9/29. anf 10/6 will go out of Brooklyn according to the letter

13 minutes ago, chocolate melting cake said:

Hi Jamman----haven't cruised with you for awhile. Thanks for the info. We have an MSC cruise leaving (supposedly port 90) on Oct. 18. I'll call them and ask about it------perhaps even make them aware of it! We've done 2 MSC cruises because they gave us the Diamond equivalency -- lots of nice perks, however, no matter what others may say about Carnival service, courtesy, and knowledge there is NO COMPARISON. Carnival has it together and generally knows what they're doing. MSC is still trying to get their attitudes changed from the European model!

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by. This will probably not be an issue for you. Enjoy your cruise! :classic_biggrin: