San Diego Cruise Port

SadieN

Haven't embarked from San Diego since 2011. We will be sailing out of San Diego in January on the Carnival Miracle and wondering what has changed (if anything)?

At that time we embarked thru the old warehouse.  At debarkation CBP was onboard and we simply tossed our (now obsolete) declaration forms into a plastic bin at the end of the gangway.

Basically wondering if the new terminal is ever used and if CBP is still processed onboard.

TIA

(ps Where is the forum search tool?)

8 hours ago, SadieN said:

Haven't embarked from San Diego since 2011. We will be sailing out of San Diego in January on the Carnival Miracle and wondering what has changed (if anything)?

At that time we embarked thru the old warehouse.  At debarkation CBP was onboard and we simply tossed our (now obsolete) declaration forms into a plastic bin at the end of the gangway.

Basically wondering if the new terminal is ever used and if CBP is still processed onboard.

TIA

(ps Where is the forum search tool?)

You just have to use the overall search tool, and then scroll down to where it says search this forum and click on that one.

You going to Hawaii again? We are on the January 11th Cabo, Cabo, Ensenada.  😁. Been a long time since we’ve sailed from San Diego also.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Just Bumping this up.

I have discovered that the airport car rental shuttle no longer serves the cruise port.  its about 2 miles away.  

(and i found the search button, I was using the big blue one, not the little black one, sigh.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, xbatt8 said:

You just have to use the overall search tool, and then scroll down to where it says search this forum and click on that one.

You going to Hawaii again? We are on the January 11th Cabo, Cabo, Ensenada.  😁. Been a long time since we’ve sailed from San Diego also.

Bob

Jan 17 to Hawaii.  Say hi to you lovely wife!

14 hours ago, SadieN said:

Jan 17 to Hawaii.  Say hi to you lovely wife!

Will do. You do the same to your family. 

We leave the ship on the 12th, so we won’t be able to say hi. One of these days we will sail together again...  😁

Bob

5 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Were you going to drive down to San Diego? We parked at SDAP (San Diego Airport Parking) and they had a shuttle to the port. The mention of airport car rental has thrown me off. 

We are going on the Carnival Miracle to Hawaii in January.  Cheaper for us to do 2 one-way car rentals from ONT-SAN  than to park our car for 15 days.  Dropping off and picking up from airport locations.  

The B Street Terminal will be the pier for the Miracle.  The "new terminal" is too small for anything other than a handful of very small ships such as the Ponant Le Soleil, a few Regent, or Seabourn vessels.

Parking near the pier is expensive, because you are in the middle of downtown.

Recommended parking is near the airport, and with free cruise terminal shuttles.

David

On 9/5/2019 at 3:19 PM, fyree39 said:

Were you going to drive down to San Diego? We parked at SDAP (San Diego Airport Parking) and they had a shuttle to the port. The mention of airport car rental has thrown me off. 

We are going on the Carnival Miracle to Hawaii in January.  Cheaper for us to do 2 one-way car rentals from ONT-SAN  than to park our car for 15 days.  Dropping off and picking up from airport locations.  

• 1 month later...

My hubby and I are on the Miracle for the 1/6/2020 cruise and are staying at the Best Western Plus Bayside. The hotel information says it is about a six minute walk to the pier.  We are trying to decide whether to walk or take the shuttle provided.  I have never been to this port so wondering if you can just walk into the port area?  We have never stayed this close and not sure if it is feasible to walk into a port area.  Anyone ever successfully done this?

1 hour ago, gmamo22 said:

My hubby and I are on the Miracle for the 1/6/2020 cruise and are staying at the Best Western Plus Bayside. The hotel information says it is about a six minute walk to the pier.  We are trying to decide whether to walk or take the shuttle provided.  I have never been to this port so wondering if you can just walk into the port area?  We have never stayed this close and not sure if it is feasible to walk into a port area.  Anyone ever successfully done this?

More like a 12 minute walk. Easy enough, but not 6 minutes. Here is the MAP.

Thank you scottca075.  Interesting that Hotels.com shows a six minute walk.  We are good with 12 minutes however.  I see from the map that the Wyndham Bayside is closer.  Might have to check that out as well.  As long as they allow pedestrians to enter the port area that will be our choice.  We will just have to figure out the best path to take. 

23 hours ago, scottca075 said:

More like a 12 minute walk. Easy enough, but not 6 minutes. Here is the MAP.

We stayed at the BW Bayside, and with heavy luggage, it a 20 minute walk.  If I stay there again, I would pay the $10 - $15 Uber charge instead.

Also, see my next post..........................

We are on the Oosterdam next month out of San Diego.  I just finished booking our pre and post-cruise hotel (same hotel).  Since the cruise ends in San Diego the weekend after Thanksgiving, the flights were outrageously expensive, so we are staying 3 nights and flying home on 12/3 for $49 each.  San Diego is such a cool place to visit, that I don't mind hanging around for a few days.

We are staying at the Ramada by Wyndham Airport hotel.  It's inexpensive, and gets good reviews.  Also, it has BOTH a free airport AND a free cruise terminal shuttle.  Cruise port is drop-off only, but we are renting a car post-cruise.  

Edited by pcur

7 minutes ago, pcur said:

We stayed at the BW Bayside, and with heavy luggage, it a 20 minute walk.  If I stay there again, I would pay the $10 - $15 Uber charge instead.

Walk time depends on age, how fast you walk, fitness level...  many factors. The BWP Bayside Inn has a shuttle service, if need be.

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

We are staying at the Ramada by Wyndham Airport hotel.  It's inexpensive, and gets good reviews.  Also, it has BOTH a free airport AND a free cruise terminal shuttle.  Cruise port is drop-off only, but we are renting a car post-cruise.  

I would say the Ramada gets "not awful" reviews. Out of 293 hotels in SD it comes in in the bottom half at #165. It is a decent location for walking around, but wouldn't be a place I'd stay or recommend.

By way of contrast, the BWP Bayside Inn is #57 of the 293.

The BW Bayside is also 3 times the price of the Ramada.  It gets 7.2 rating on Hotel.com, and a 3.5 / 5 rating on Tripadvisor.  With free parking, free airport shuttle, and free cruise terminal shuttle, I'm good with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 5:27 PM, scottca075 said:

Walk time depends on age, how fast you walk, fitness level...  many factors. The BWP Bayside Inn has a shuttle service, if need be.

I would say the Ramada gets "not awful" reviews. Out of 293 hotels in SD it comes in in the bottom half at #165. It is a decent location for walking around, but wouldn't be a place I'd stay or recommend.

By way of contrast, the BWP Bayside Inn is #57 of the 293.

Reporting back on the Ramada.  It’s a nice place!  Not luxury, but checks all the boxes for a pre-cruise hotel:

staff is great

clean, clean, clean

upgraded rooms; smaller than some hotels

great seafood restaurants across the street, closing at 7-9pm

Little Italy delivery dinner was very tasty

Prompt free shuttle at airport

Free cruise port shuttle is at noon

Edited by pcur

On 9/6/2019 at 7:44 PM, SadieN said:

Cheaper for us to do 2 one-way car rentals  than to park our car for 15 days.  Dropping off and picking up from airport locations.  

We do the same for SFO.  If it's more than ten days it's cheaper for us also to do two O/W car rentals.