Cruise Critic Community
Bkmat

Too late for pre-existing coverage, insurance worth it?

In 2018 I paid for a onboard booking deposit while on a cruise.  We had 4 years to use it and it would then be refunded if we did not use it in that time.  This year we decided to book a cruise for 9/2020 and used our onboard cruise deposit.  We are way over the time to get the pre-existing coverage.  My question is whether it is worth it to buy travel insurance as it seems that any health issue we have ever had in the past would be ineligible to be covered.  Or, am I reading the pre-existing clause wrong...is it any pre existing condition that prevents you from going that occurred  during the look back period?  We do have a travel credit card that offers coverage, but not medical evacuation.  I am thinking of buying an evacuation policy only.   The current cruise we are signed up for is not due for final payment until June, 2020.  I prefer to purchase the insurance after the final payment, but if it won’t cover us, is it worth it?   I’ve purchased trip insurance in the past, but did not look into it closely, not sure if we would have been covered...happy we never had to find out, but as we get older, I know anything can happen.  Thoughts on this complicated post? 

Hi Bkmat,

May I get some info from you?

What State do you live in? What date did you use the credit to book the cruise? Are you flying or driving to the port?

Steve

We live in WA, we booked the cruise on 6/18/19, we will be flying overseas to the port.  Would love any info you have.  Thanks, Kathi

On 8/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, Bkmat said:

We live in WA, we booked the cruise on 6/18/19, we will be flying overseas to the port.  Would love any info you have.  Thanks, Kathi

Hi Kathi,

I'm sorry for taking so long to answer you, but I didn't see you had replied to this post until right now.

Do you want both trip cancellation and medical coverage for pre-existing conditions? And, who has the pre-existing condition? Is it one of the travelers or a non-traveling family member?

Steve

Hi Steve, No worries, our trip is still pretty far off.   If I understand pre-existing coverage correctly, it relates to issues that come up within the look back on your policy.  For example, if my husband would receive a cortisone injection for his hip issue within that look back period (i.e. 60-90 days, depending on policy) and he needed surgery on the hip which prevented us from travel, there would not be a pay out for cancellation.  But if he would need a cortisone injection prior to the look back date, it would be okay?   Another example, both my husband and I take cholesterol lowering meds, but we have not been diagnosed with heart disease....I assume (maybe incorrectly) that if we had heart attacks just prior to our trip, our policy would pay out if we needed to cancel?  So, back to my original question, I believe we have 2 options:  use our credit card coverage and obtain med evac coverage only or buy cancellation and med evac coverage, knowing there will be a look back period.  I am not sure I understand the look back period correctly, so appreciate your knowledgeable answer on that.  As your information indicates on CC, this insurance coverage is SO complicated.   Thanks again, Kathi

On 9/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, Bkmat said:

Hi Steve, No worries, our trip is still pretty far off.   If I understand pre-existing coverage correctly, it relates to issues that come up within the look back on your policy.  For example, if my husband would receive a cortisone injection for his hip issue within that look back period (i.e. 60-90 days, depending on policy) and he needed surgery on the hip which prevented us from travel, there would not be a pay out for cancellation.  But if he would need a cortisone injection prior to the look back date, it would be okay?   Another example, both my husband and I take cholesterol lowering meds, but we have not been diagnosed with heart disease....I assume (maybe incorrectly) that if we had heart attacks just prior to our trip, our policy would pay out if we needed to cancel?  So, back to my original question, I believe we have 2 options:  use our credit card coverage and obtain med evac coverage only or buy cancellation and med evac coverage, knowing there will be a look back period.  I am not sure I understand the look back period correctly, so appreciate your knowledgeable answer on that.  As your information indicates on CC, this insurance coverage is SO complicated.   Thanks again, Kathi

It's very difficult to read this with everything underlined.   Just mentioning it for the future...

GC