Do you bring any creature comforts?

calicakes

Over our years of travel, the only comfort item that we bring is a small wireless speaker.  On sea days, my DH likes to relax in the room or on the balcony listening to his type of music (hard rock) and prefers not to have headphones on all day.  We do bring a few salty snack but that is more of us being cheap 🙂 (don't want to pay $5 for a can of pringles, when i can get them for $1 at home), sweets are typically covered pretty good by the cruise

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

Over our years of travel, the only comfort item that we bring is a small wireless speaker.  On sea days, my DH likes to relax in the room or on the balcony listening to his type of music (hard rock) and prefers not to have headphones on all day.  We do bring a few salty snack but that is more of us being cheap 🙂 (don't want to pay $5 for a can of pringles, when i can get them for $1 at home), sweets are typically covered pretty good by the cruise

I agree.  I guess I'm "frugal" too, although I ease up on vacation.  I think its smart to bring some salty snacks from home.  We like pretzels while at the pool.  I really enjoy the kid Dollar Tree carries, I like them more than Rold Gold.  I'll pick up a bag in Ft. Lauderdale since we're there for 2 days before our cruise.   On the same note, I bring a sample packet of laundry detergent so I can rinse out my bathing suit in the sink.  Call me cheap, but I won't pay for laundry on the ship. 

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and am well aware it's now "evening chic".  I was simply responding to another poster's use of the word "formal".  I also never said she HAD to wear anything fancy for "Formal" or "Evening Chic" nights.  I finished my post saying she always has the choice to wear whatever she wants, and she clarified her choice in the next post.   "Evening Chic" nights have always been a suggestion, not a requirement.  We always dress up, but many have chosen not to, and that's perfectly acceptable.  I never said otherwise.  Happy cruising, Luvcrusn😎

1 hour ago, zook50 said:

Btw, if we're considering semantics, the correct term is "smart casual", Luvcrusn😀😀

Thanks. I couldn't think of the term. I'm in the event planning field and have heard many strange dress guideline descriptions.  Smart casual eluded me at the time I typed that! Happy sailings. 😀

Overpacker here.  I don't like CAMPING , or flying, and doing without.  I love my 'stuff'.  It seems like I can get my actual clothes into a 19" carryon, but the other things I LIKE to have (don't need, but hey I AM on VACATION!) fill up the BIG checked suitcase.

Over the years, I've ditched the duct tape (used it once and glad to have it, but the odds...), extra shoes in case one pair gets wet...formal wear.

But, added so much more:

2 Kindles (Paperwhite for sun) AND ipad.

MyPillow Travel pillow AND 2 zipper pillowcases. (compression bagged & dual duty on plane)

Noise machine AND Bose headsets AND Bose earplugs.

Sleep mask.

RTIC mug.

Handheld mini-fan.

My OWN Snorkel equipment, if needed for excursion.

Lightweight microfiber towel for excursions.

My own toiletries & the ever increasing supply of potentially needed MEDS.

FWIW, I knew a guy who brought a gallon jar of pickles and a full size can of glass cleaner once. His first cruise. lol 

• Haha 1

All of these posts are reminding me of other essentials I bring:  small wireless speaker, jolt charger, towel clips, snorkel equipment (esp for Caribbean itineraries), laundry packets for handwashing, hand sanitizer wipes for ports, sleep masks and earplugs.  My husband will definitely bring both his IPad and his Kobo Clara (for reading in the sun).  I'm a shade person, so IPad works fine.  I always bring a small book light in case I snag a great hard copy book at the ship library and want to read in bed at night when my husband sleeps.  Sadly, libraries are disappearing everywhere, including on Celebrity ships (nothing on our last Edge trip)😥.  I am so tempted to bring one of my Indigo coated metal coffee mugs (with cover).  I like my coffee to be hot and stay hot, and these mugs are great for that.

• Like 1

DH is the best creature comfort I can imagine.

I do pack a lot of clothes and shoes.  They all go into storage, and doors closed.

Other than that, I like as few "things" as possible.  Home = clutter.  So my ideal cruise cabin would have no tv, towel animals, flowers, bottled beverages, plates of strawberries, spa flyers.

In response to people who shame us for doing this because we should just enjoy the adventure - first of all, what I do or do not bring is my choice.  At this stage in my life I am primarily looking for peace and relaxation when I cruise, rather than 'adventure'.  Second, perhaps if you cruised as much as I do (2-3 months total per year now that I am retired) you would want a couple of "comforts of home" along with you as well.  Three weeks or more onboard in a row is a long time to be away from some of those comforts.  And lastly, as someone who is getting up there in years, there are some things that I bring along because travel is more difficult and less comfortable as one ages.  I don't sleep as well as I did when I was 30 or 40.  I bring along a couple things to help with that for example.  

So to the OP, no, you are not alone.  And if it makes you happy and does no one else harm, don't give it a second thought😄

• Like 15

Not sure what ‘shaming’ is being posted, just some listing special things they bring and posts saying they don’t need anything special. . 

Personally don’t bring much except when there are a number of sea days, especially the upcoming TransAtlantic, on which I’ll bring my Kumihimo tools to play around with. I’ve done it once before and didn’t touch it!! I’ll try once more and see if I’ll work with it. 

Den

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

In response to people who shame us for doing this because we should just enjoy the adventure - first of all, what I do or do not bring is my choice.  At this stage in my life I am primarily looking for peace and relaxation when I cruise, rather than 'adventure'.  Second, perhaps if you cruised as much as I do (2-3 months total per year now that I am retired) you would want a couple of "comforts of home" along with you as well.  Three weeks or more onboard in a row is a long time to be away from some of those comforts.  And lastly, as someone who is getting up there in years, there are some things that I bring along because travel is more difficult and less comfortable as one ages.  I don't sleep as well as I did when I was 30 or 40.  I bring along a couple things to help with that for example.  

So to the OP, no, you are not alone.  And if it makes you happy and does no one else harm, don't give it a second thought😄

Well said, I couldn't agree more. 👌

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Thank you.  I was beginning to feel "shamed" for bringing my "stuff".  I didn't even mention my snorkel equipment or my aquis hair towel. Those are more necessities for the cruise.  For the ladies with long, thick hair, those towels are amazing.  It really cuts drying time down as well.  They hardly weight anything.  

Don't laugh, but I pack enough of my iced coffee ( in an empty sugar free plastic bottle) in my checked baggage for my first morning before the cruise.  I like my home brewed coffee better than Starbucks, McDonald's, etc.  

When we travel to Mexico to a resort, I'll freeze my half and half, stick it in my checked bagged in a small cooler and then it will defrost in the fridge.  Mexico doesn't have real milk/cream.  Its UHT milk in a box and its gross. 

43 minutes ago, calicakes said:

...When we travel to Mexico to a resort, I'll freeze my half and half, stick it in my checked bagged in a small cooler and then it will defrost in the fridge.  Mexico doesn't have real milk/cream.  Its UHT milk in a box and its gross. 

LOL same here in Guatemala as Mexico! When we go back to the states for a visit, having half-n-half in our coffee is a huge treat. Took a long time to get used to the "milk in a box" down here, but we eventually did. Doesn't taste gross to us now, but "real" milk from the US or on a cruise tastes heavenly!

Not shaming anyone, just saying my travel philosophy is very different. I don't bring much other than the essentials (clothes, shoes, some make-up): no hairdryer, hamper, travel mugs, fan, pillow, blanket, heck not even duct tape. And no food. I do bring my Kindle, fully stocked.

I cruise the same way I do my land trips. I don't expect everything to be like it is at home. I'm very adaptable and non-fussed. I can always find something to eat and can sleep whether it's hot or cold or even fully light (!).  Personally, I think it's good to cultivate these kind of traits, it makes it so much easier to deal with travel and the unpredictability that goes with it.

I can see, with age, that there might be a need for some specific 'comforts' like a pillow that won't pretzel your neck at night. But I can't see myself ever bringing most of the things mentioned.

• Like 1

I bring my own shampoo, Conditioner, Hair dryer, and Clorox wipes for the plane, Hotel, and cabin.  I also bring snacks for the airplane and our cabin.  G.F. Pretzels, nuts, and some kind of G.F. cookies.  And hopefully, I remember to save some for the airplane ride home.  😃

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

LOL same here in Guatemala as Mexico! When we go back to the states for a visit, having half-n-half in our coffee is a huge treat. Took a long time to get used to the "milk in a box" down here, but we eventually did. Doesn't taste gross to us now, but "real" milk from the US or on a cruise tastes heavenly!

don't even get me started on the eggs in the grocery store( non refrigerated).  I just about fainted the first time I saw that in Puerto Vallerta.  I ended up taking a cab to Costco to buy the refrigerated kind. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not shaming anyone, just saying my travel philosophy is very different. I don't bring much other than the essentials (clothes, shoes, some make-up): no hairdryer, hamper, travel mugs, fan, pillow, blanket, heck not even duct tape. And no food. I do bring my Kindle, fully stocked.

I cruise the same way I do my land trips. I don't expect everything to be like it is at home. I'm very adaptable and non-fussed. I can always find something to eat and can sleep whether it's hot or cold or even fully light (!).  Personally, I think it's good to cultivate these kind of traits, it makes it so much easier to deal with travel and the unpredictability that goes with it.

I can see, with age, that there might be a need for some specific 'comforts' like a pillow that won't pretzel your neck at night. But I can't see myself ever bringing most of the things mentioned.

Who brings duct tape or a hamper?  I do bring a travel laundry bag to cart home my dirty stuff.  

Planning on adding an aromatherapy diffuser and oils for our next cruise. Create my own spa. Cheaper than going to Canyon Ranch 🤣Does anyone know if I'll get called down to the naughty kids room if I put one in my luggage?

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Lovely post, and I agree with you, as a person who brings *nothing* along!  I was reading this thread because I was looking for ideas of stuff I might have missed, and sure enough someone mentioned a small speaker and I realized that I should bring that along.

I am beyond a minimilast (sp?) in terms of my packing - did 2.5 weeks in Africa in carry-ons, for instance.  But I think it's sweet and lovely and perfectly nice for everyone to have his/her own approaches in this regard.

• Like 1

I bring a clothes iron, coffee pot, candles, my electric blanket, a lava lamp, and a string of ornamental lights to decorate my cabin door.  Of course, I need my octopus plug with surge protection for all that stuff.  Oh, and I bring a harpoon.  You never know when you might need one.   😀😀😀

Just kidding.  Actually, I expected to read about a lot of strange things being brought along.   But, everyone's lists are pretty tame, and for the most part practical.  Dyson hair dryers were mentioned a couple times.   I Googled out of curiosity and YIKES!  They don't exactly give those away.   Don't think I'll be mentioning it to Mrs Ldubs.  😀

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, calicakes said:

I do NOT pack lightly.  I must have my creature comforts, my pillow and my blanket.  I know, I know.  I just need it. 

However, I probably don't need my bottle of Torani sugar free caramel/vanilla or mocha syrup for my iced coffee.  I probably don't need a bag of pretzels for sea days at the pool.  I probably don't need real maple syrup for my pancakes, but I do bring those with me.    

What do you bring? 

My spouse tends to bring a full compliment of photos of the animals...

That is the reason I laughed at the question...

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I pack my bag.  My dw packs her bag.  Her creature comforts are about 20 extra pounds of shoes.  If we are flying to the port we need to meet 50 lb baggage limits so some of the shoes stay at home.  If we are driving to the port she gets to have all her shoes.  Of course she can get around these limits by making me fly business class or first class which has a 70 pound baggage limit!

• Like 2