Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
calicakes

Do you bring any creature comforts?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, JMB27 said:

 

Oh, this sounds lovely!

 

It was.  It was our first Transatlantic.  We had to take an extra sea day because we had to divert our course to avoid a big storm, so 8 sea days in a row.  Those sea days were so incredibly relaxing.  All we had to worry about was making it to afternoon trivia on time.  We liked it so much we're taking another TA from Fort Launderdale to Rome in spring 2020.  It'll be a more southern route so maybe the hot chocolate wont be needed but tea... essential!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

You can attach those hooks and lines to the shower wall and all the dripping will be confined to the shower and not clutter up the cabin.  Things dry pretty well in there. 

 

Our clothes are drip-free when I hang them up because I roll them up in pool towels and squeeze the water out that way. They are barely more than damp.

#1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 9:02 PM, calicakes said:

I forgot to mention the most important item: ........ 2 rolls of really soft Toilet Paper.  I do not like the toilet paper that feels like cardboard. 

 

Agreed.  We use to bring our own too but then read somewhere that they prefer you use their own because of the biodegradableness of it.  I have no idea if ours is guilty of not degrading fast enough.  I know theirs certainly does, however because it usually does while you're still using it.  😣  But still, we don't bring our own anymore.  Besides, it takes up a lot of room in the suitcase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone explain to me the "pillow menu" granted to AquaClass and Suites?  We've gone Aquaclass several times and have yet to discover what the pillow menu is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 12:30 AM, hurwitz5 said:

 I agree about some creature comforts — some are warm and snuggly, like pillows and blankets, etc.

 However, some items like Lysol

wipes, give me a sense of security and reduced anxiety.  I feel better with a sanitized germ free cabin 

 

What concerns me are the people using their own toilet paper - not approved for the ship’s plumbing system.  Celebrity should let people know which toilet paper is approved and which is not.  I would hope that no one wants to cause engineering  problems for themselves and others.

 

 

I totally agree about the Lysol wipes.  We travel with them all the time.  First thing we do in a hotel room, cabin or airplane seat is wipe down all the surfaces, including doorknobs and remote controls.  People are disgusting, afterall (no offense to the people here ... I'm sure none of you are disgusting) .

Three examples of disgusting:
1. Hubs was on a flight somewhere.  The person next to him pulled down the tray table, took our a paper napkin, repeatedly spat into the paper napkin and wiped down the entire tray table with her spit.

 

2. We were visiting the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.  Stopped into the food court at the Air and Space Museum. The cleaning lady was in there mopping the floor.  I proceeded into the stall and could see the mop moving around the base of the toilet next to me. When I exited the stall, the cleaning lady had that same mop up "washing" the sinks, taps and countertop.  It makes me want to cry when I think of that day. Not only do I have to worry about the unclean practices of the public using the washrooms, now I realize I can't always rely on the integrity of those hire to keep the area germ-free.

 

3. Grocery store produce section.  I watched a lady systematically open container after container of raspberries, poke a bunch in each box with her finger before closing the box and putting it back.  Raspberries aren't that easy to wash and I don't know where her finger had been.  She might as well have shoved it right down my throat.  I haven't eaten a store bought raspberry since.

And of course we all hear stories about the antics of people inside hotel rooms and how an ultraviolet light would reveal all sort of hidden 'stains'. and those folks who put their bare feet all over their allotted space on an airplane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, Fouremco said:

Thank your DH for his considerate approach to enjoying his music. An earlier poster's statement that her DH would sit on the balcony "listening to his type of music (hard rock)" made me cringe.  

 

I had some time to kill so have just read this entire thread and was so relieved to see that someone had commented on the music on the balcony issue.  I've been lucky enough to retain sharp hearing as I've aged, and believe me, if you can hear your music (even faintly) on your balcony next to me, then so can I.  Drives me nuts and it's happened to me on 2 cruises within 12 months.

 

Otherwise, I don't care what anyone else brings on board and if it enhances their cruise experience (and doesn't bother a single other person) then good for them!  It's been an interesting read, but my 'must take' begins and ends at hair conditioner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamacka said:

Can anyone explain to me the "pillow menu" granted to AquaClass and Suites?  We've gone Aquaclass several times and have yet to discover what the pillow menu is.

ive never seen a printed menu, however if you ask your steward what's available they should be able to tell you.  We always ask for themolded memory foam. The pillow menu is available in Concierge and above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamacka said:

Can anyone explain to me the "pillow menu" granted to AquaClass and Suites?  We've gone Aquaclass several times and have yet to discover what the pillow menu is.

Never seen a pillow menu. The pillows in cabin are ok. However, if you really need a special type of pillow, contact Celebrity before sailing. I always bring my own travel down pillow. It’s boutique size. Packs down in a ziplock bag. Weighs very little. It is especially good on long flights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Interesting, you seem to hint on hot topics but thankfully no one is taking the bait.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

I have NO clue what you're talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if these are what it meant by creature comforts but we bring different medications, plasters etc. for all eventualities

I also bring my magnifying make-up mirror, straighteners and heated rollers😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jamacka said:

Can anyone explain to me the "pillow menu" granted to AquaClass and Suites?  We've gone Aquaclass several times and have yet to discover what the pillow menu is.

 

I actually found it on the constellation a couple of months ago.....It may have been in the binder with all kinds of other information that no one looks at.....or the options were listed on some other printed material in the room.  We were in Concierge....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an example of the ULTIMATE creature comfort( although not for my upcoming cruise).

 

We live in California( AKA home of crappy bagels).  I grew up in S. Florida.  The bagels I grew up with are NY style bagels.  Chewy and not doughy.  I ordered 3 dozen everything bagels from a deli in Key West( last port on cruise) and they are going to deliver them to me @ the port.  This way I don't have to Uber to a bagel store before my flight back to CA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

 

I had some time to kill so have just read this entire thread and was so relieved to see that someone had commented on the music on the balcony issue.  I've been lucky enough to retain sharp hearing as I've aged, and believe me, if you can hear your music (even faintly) on your balcony next to me, then so can I.  Drives me nuts and it's happened to me on 2 cruises within 12 months.

 

Otherwise, I don't care what anyone else brings on board and if it enhances their cruise experience (and doesn't bother a single other person) then good for them!  It's been an interesting read, but my 'must take' begins and ends at hair conditioner.

It could always be worse....we spent one 2 week cruise next to a mother and son who brought (as their creature comfort) a guitar. They spent all day and night every day on their balcony playing the guitar and "singing" along with great gusto(think nails on a chalkboard). I still can't figure out when they slept because we sure didn't! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

It could always be worse....we spent one 2 week cruise next to a mother and son who brought (as their creature comfort) a guitar. They spent all day and night every day on their balcony playing the guitar and "singing" along with great gusto(think nails on a chalkboard). I still can't figure out when they slept because we sure didn't! 

 

Aaarrgghh ....!  Maybe we should both add ear plugs to our list of creature comforts; although it doesn't sound like it would have saved your situation.  The cruise we got off last Sunday was a cool weather one (Iceland and Ireland) and so thankfully the music on balcony issue was minor - didn't stop our neighbours from holding a loud conversation on their balcony at 1 am though.  Maybe I should swap cruising for renting a cottage in the middle of a field; I'm very tolerant of cows and sheep. 😉  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun thread.

 

We always travel with a picture of the "kids" (see profile photo), their first toy, and a travel fan - have to have the noise it generates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gw2fll said:

Fun thread.

 

We always travel with a picture of the "kids" (see profile photo), their first toy, and a travel fan - have to have the noise it generates.

ohhhhhhh, I use a fan at home( all year round for the noise).  I downloaded a FAN app for my IPAD.  Which travel fan do you use???  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, calicakes said:

I do NOT pack lightly.  I must have my creature comforts, my pillow and my blanket.  I know, I know.  I just need it. 

 

However, I probably don't need my bottle of Torani sugar free caramel/vanilla or mocha syrup for my iced coffee.  I probably don't need a bag of pretzels for sea days at the pool.  I probably don't need real maple syrup for my pancakes, but I do bring those with me.    

 

What do you bring? 

I bring my essential oil travel diffuser always . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot glass to go with the two bottles of vodka in our cabin, just in case there's not one included with the bar accessories.

 

That, and..

 

Small bluetooth speaker

Thermometer (to actually quantify if the room is not cool enough)

Pillows

Our preferred toilet paper and kleenex

misc. other items...  🙂

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 7:27 AM, jamacka said:

 

I totally agree about the Lysol wipes.  We travel with them all the time.  First thing we do in a hotel room, cabin or airplane seat is wipe down all the surfaces, including doorknobs and remote controls.  People are disgusting, afterall (no offense to the people here ... I'm sure none of you are disgusting) .

Three examples of disgusting:
1. Hubs was on a flight somewhere.  The person next to him pulled down the tray table, took our a paper napkin, repeatedly spat into the paper napkin and wiped down the entire tray table with her spit.

 

2. We were visiting the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.  Stopped into the food court at the Air and Space Museum. The cleaning lady was in there mopping the floor.  I proceeded into the stall and could see the mop moving around the base of the toilet next to me. When I exited the stall, the cleaning lady had that same mop up "washing" the sinks, taps and countertop.  It makes me want to cry when I think of that day. Not only do I have to worry about the unclean practices of the public using the washrooms, now I realize I can't always rely on the integrity of those hire to keep the area germ-free.

 

3. Grocery store produce section.  I watched a lady systematically open container after container of raspberries, poke a bunch in each box with her finger before closing the box and putting it back.  Raspberries aren't that easy to wash and I don't know where her finger had been.  She might as well have shoved it right down my throat.  I haven't eaten a store bought raspberry since.

And of course we all hear stories about the antics of people inside hotel rooms and how an ultraviolet light would reveal all sort of hidden 'stains'. and those folks who put their bare feet all over their allotted space on an airplane.

I completely agree.  I didn't include clorox wipes, because I don't consider them "Creature Comforts"  I consider them a necessity.  😃

 

  A stranger on an airplane was laughing at me when I pulled wipes out and started cleaning everything, until I showed him how dirty the wipe was.  I then asked him if he would like a wipe.  He had a shocked look on his face, and shook his head yes.  

 

p.s.  don't forget the tops of the seats in front of you on a plane.  Everyone touches them.  😃

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First cruise coming up in 2 months, so this has been a great read. Thanks to all for sharing. 

Planning on bringing: 
- Custom engraved Yeti cups for the group (Commorating parents' 70th). 

- Small Bose Bluetooth speaker for music in the room / balcony. 
- Small video rig (DJI Osmo Pocket + light/mic/monopod/etc) for capturing video of the family of the week around the ship and at port, so I can produce a short memories video for the folks once we return. 

I assume my better half will bring her shampoos/conditioners/lotions and such. 

Loved the suggestions for beach balls for footrests on the balconies. 

Lots of good suggestions in here. Keep em coming!
 

Edited by Icon901

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing a few plastic food containers. And decent crackers,  cheese spreader.

Plus real straws,  paper cups and  plates. Fiji water, small cans of spicy  V 8, diet cola, 2 btls wine.

 

 We have a Sunset Veranda cabin...way aft .

Hope to save some back and forth steps by.bringing afternoon snacks back from the buffet. ..I don't believe we get canapes in a balc cabin and room service can be iffy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed a high correlation between people complaining about music but travelling with scented stuff and oil diffusers. 

I REALLY hope I don't get stuck next to someone stinking up our balcony/room with weird smells. Otherwise, the music volume may have to move beyond the normal "respectable" level 😂

Edited by Icon901

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hcat said:

Bringing a few plastic food containers. And decent crackers,  cheese spreader.

Plus real straws,  paper cups and  plates. Fiji water, small cans of spicy  V 8, diet cola, 2 btls wine.

 

 We have a Sunset Veranda cabin...way aft .

Hope to save some back and forth steps by.bringing afternoon snacks back from the buffet. ..I don't believe we get canapes in a balc cabin and room service can be iffy.

Why do you bring diet coke?  I'm assuming because you don't get a beverage package?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...