Do you bring any creature comforts?

calicakes

19 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

Again, to me that is a necessity.  DH snores like a freight train.  😴

He might want to consider a sleep study. 

I do bring ear plugs - as you can never tell how loud your neighbors might be and also for the occasional rowdy/loud hall folks (trying to find their cabins - late night)! In ~100 sailings, we've encountered some fairly unique situations. Better to be prepared.

Tom

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Why do you bring diet coke?  I'm assuming because you don't get a beverage package?  

We have the Classic but  find it is easier to bring on the smaller cans than go foraging for water and  sodas....which we like to keep in our room.

Edited by hcat

On 8/28/2019 at 4:17 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Shot glass to go with the two bottles of vodka in our cabin, just in case there's not one included with the bar accessories.

That, and..

Small bluetooth speaker

Thermometer (to actually quantify if the room is not cool enough)

Pillows

Our preferred toilet paper and kleenex

misc. other items...  🙂

Tom

I would love to bring my regular pillow from home, but I don't know how people manage to carry pillows along with everything else. 

19 minutes ago, bermadu22 said:

I would love to bring my regular pillow from home, but I don't know how people manage to carry pillows along with everything else. 

Memory foam.  Its squishy.  Sometimes we just carry the pillow onto the plane.  I pack an extra pillow case so I have a fresh clean one. 

25 minutes ago, bermadu22 said:

I take a couple of large suitcases and actually use the pillows (not small!) crammed on top to help stabilize everything else.

Tom

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Bringing a few plastic food containers. And decent crackers,  cheese spreader.

Plus real straws,  paper cups and  plates. Fiji water, small cans of spicy  V 8, diet cola, 2 btls wine.

We have a Sunset Veranda cabin...way aft .

Hope to save some back and forth steps by.bringing afternoon snacks back from the buffet. ..I don't believe we get canapes in a balc cabin and room service can be iffy.

I am hoping you can help me. Sounds like you know how to stock your cabin! I am trying to get a sense of how much non alcoholic beverages you can bring above the 2 bottles of wine. Is it unlimited? How much is too much? I would like to bring several quart bottles of cold brew which is a type of ice coffee and some protein drinks which is actually a medical thing. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ccarter said:

I am hoping you can help me. Sounds like you know how to stock your cabin! I am trying to get a sense of how much non alcoholic beverages you can bring above the 2 bottles of wine. Is it unlimited? How much is too much? I would like to bring several quart bottles of cold brew which is a type of ice coffee and some protein drinks which is actually a medical thing. Any advice would be appreciated!

Whether you are driving or flying to the port can make a big difference.

If the protein drinks come in cans, you could have them shipped to your pre-cruise hotel if you order them from Amazon, or similar.

But for "a  medical thing" if you contact Special Needs in advance, you may even be able to arrange to have them shipped directly to the port agent at your departure port.

49 minutes ago, ccarter said:

If you’re not picky about your cold brew, you can always bring the cold brew filter packs and a plastic pitcher and make it. I bring regular hot coffee into the room, let it cool down overnight. I only drink iced coffee too. I also prefer cold brew.

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

If you’re not picky about your cold brew, you can always bring the cold brew filter packs and a plastic pitcher and make it. I bring regular hot coffee into the room, let it cool down overnight. I only drink iced coffee too. I also prefer cold brew.

Thank you for the clever ideas! 

12 hours ago, bermadu22 said:

Compression!

My whole family is very attached to their own pillow. When my DD was in high school and college and made yearly trips abroad, she would take her contour foam pillow to sleep on the plane. Of course she is 4’ 10” and 100 lbs tops, and could just fold herself up into the seat.

Seriously, I considered getting a compression bag that uses a vacuum hose just for my pillow, to keep my neck in its accustomed place. I managed without, but boy I missed that pillow

18 hours ago, Icon901 said:

First cruise coming up in 2 months, so this has been a great read. Thanks to all for sharing. 

Planning on bringing: 
- Custom engraved Yeti cups for the group (Commorating parents' 70th). 

Wonderful idea for a special family cruise!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, spiritkat090909 said:

FWIW, I knew a guy who brought a gallon jar of pickles and a full size can of glass cleaner once. His first cruise. lol 

Was the glass cleaner to use on the pickle jar, do you suppose?

The only out of the ordinary thing I bring is a small “real” pencil sharpener. For my crosswords, in case I don’t go bold and use an ink pen. We also bring the meds and toiletries and hooks and a noise machine or use a white noise app. 

I try to cut back, but why?

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Compression!

My whole family is very attached to their own pillow. When my DD was in high school and college and made yearly trips abroad, she would take her contour foam pillow to sleep on the plane. Of course she is 4’ 10” and 100 lbs tops, and could just fold herself up into the seat.

Seriously, I considered getting a compression bag that uses a vacuum hose just for my pillow, to keep my neck in its accustomed place. I managed without, but boy I missed that pillow

Just a FYI, we get molded foam pillows from X's pillow menu every cruise. Although the pillow menu is only available in Concierge, Agua and suites I'm betting that if you request those pillows from your steward in another type of room they'd be able to provide it.

Edited by Luvcrusn

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Just a FYI, we get molded foam pillows from X's pillow menu every cruise. Although the pillow menu is only available in Concierge, Agua and suites I'm betting that if you request those pillows from your steward in another type of room they'd be able to provide it.

I've been in AQ 3 times and have never seen a pillow menu.  I'm going to ask for the foam pillow this trip and see if its sufficient.  I'm still bringing my own pillow. We're on a red eye( Please, please let the hurricane skip Ft. Lauderdale). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I've been in AQ 3 times and have never seen a pillow menu.  I'm going to ask for the foam pillow this trip and see if its sufficient.  I'm still bringing my own pillow. We're on a red eye( Please, please let the hurricane skip Ft. Lauderdale). 

I've never seen an actual printed menu, but knowing that there were options, I asked the steward what was available.  Now we just ask for the molded foam pillows (it might be called Swedish Isotonic) and have always had them provided. We use them at home and love sleeping on them. The ones from X are just like the ones we use at home minus the cooling gel our home pillows have.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:40 AM, calicakes said:

ohhhhhhh, I use a fan at home( all year round for the noise).  I downloaded a FAN app for my IPAD.  Which travel fan do you use???  

It's a box fan we got at Walgreens for around $10. The size is about 12" square by 3" deep. It does not take up too much room in the suitcase. If you are looking for one, now's the time to get one (end of season).

Hope this helps

22 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I've never seen an actual printed menu, but knowing that there were options, I asked the steward what was available.  Now we just ask for the molded foam pillows (it might be called Swedish Isotonic) and have always had them provided. We use them at home and love sleeping on them. The ones from X are just like the ones we use at home minus the cooling gel our home pillows have.

Here is a pillow Menu for AQ and Concierge:

We offer four different types of pillows to choose from:

- Down European white goose down its 100% cotton damask cover for  enhanced softness and comfort

- Body Pillow the feather and down body pillow provides full body comfort and is ideal for guest with body aches

- Swedish Isotonic® Pillow - Isotonic reacts to your body temperature and physique to provide true, customized relaxation

- Conformance Pillow- Down like softness and comfort. Multi-level support of next and spine. *hypoallergenic non-feather or down pillows are available upon request

Edited by vtcruising

17 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here is a pillow Menu for AQ and Concierge:

We offer four different types of pillows to choose from:

- Down European white goose down its 100% cotton damask cover for  enhanced softness and comfort

- Body Pillow the feather and down body pillow provides full body comfort and is ideal for guest with body aches

- Swedish Isotonic® Pillow - Isotonic reacts to your body temperature and physique to provide true, customized relaxation

- Conformance Pillow- Down like softness and comfort. Multi-level support of next and spine. *hypoallergenic non-feather or down pillows are available upon request

Thanks @vtcruising! I've looked for this unsuccessfully for years.....where did you find this? Anyway, I did remember correctly that the molded foam pillows we like are the Swedish Isotonic Pillows listed above. 

We bring a few led (candles/lights) for night lights and to use on the balcony in the evening (very romantic), as well as a door hanging (plastic) shoe holder for storage of various things like shampoo, medications, cosmetics, electric toothbrush, etc., etc.  We hang it on the inside of the bathroom door.  It doesn't work on some doors so I carry a small spool of fish line to use for on-the-spot modifications.  This year we are bringing two inflatable foot stools for the balcony.  DW has her own travel hair dryer.  Oh, and individual laundry soap packets to wash out quick-dry underwear in the sink.   

We bring with us a battery operated clock with an automatic light up face when the lights go out.   We go down one day before usually an buy shampoo, a pillow and TJ Max pillowcases.....and when we leave we leave the pillow and cases onboard.   We also buy one of those room Diffusers just in case there are random smells.....ahem.  

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks @vtcruising! I've looked for this unsuccessfully for years.....where did you find this? Anyway, I did remember correctly that the molded foam pillows we like are the Swedish Isotonic Pillows listed above. 

I might not have to bring my blanket now.  I bunch up my blanket to use as sort of a body pillow.  I never knew they had that. Thanks.   I'll have some xtra room now. LOL