Cruise ship crime

Cruise Ship Crime

Personally and thankfully I have never witnessed a crime on board a ship during any cruise and it is a surprise to learn the prevalence of this activity.

Below you will see just how much criminal activity we are very close to when cruising.

Cruise ships are required to report serious crimes. This includes a homicide, any suspicious death, an assault that results with a bodily injury, or a sexual assault. Any money theft above $10k is also supposed to be reported. Outside of these crimes, however, the cruise ship company can resolve the case internally without saying another word. Needless to say, there are thousands of victims of cruise ship crime that will never see justice served.

Incredibly since 2011 more than 950 crimes have been reported to the FBI by cruise ship lines.

According to the head of the FBI of New York's city division, almost every cruise ship that comes into port in New York requests agents to come on board because something had happened.

These reports ranged from people going overboard to sexual assaults and thefts.

Makes you want to look over your shoulder on your next cruise. However be aware.

Edited by greykangaroo

A cruise ship is just a small snapshot of the world. Whatever can happen in the big, wide world can also happen on a cruise ship, in a hotel, or anywhere else, and we should all take the necessary precautions to protect ourselves, our families and our belongings. 

You would hope that as "most" people are there feeling relaxed or in holiday mode there may be less aggressive behaviour, but this doesn't remove all chances of alcohol-fuelled violence, assault or domestic incidents, and many more crimes. I can't recall ever seeing any physical aggression or fights on a cruise ship, but then again, I'm probably asleep in the cabin at the times they are more likely to occur.

There's good and bad everywhere, and just because we're on holiday we should still be alert, but not alarmed!!

Edited by mum and son

Actually, I was on the Norwegian Jade approaching Egypt and a man jumped overboard from Deck 12. Everyone ran from Bingo out onto the deck and we could all see him. I didn't realise a ship could turn that fast and next thing a lifeboat was deployed and they got him. An ambulance and police were waiting when we arrived in port the next day and he was taken off in a straight jacket... 

2 hours ago, greykangaroo said:

Cruise Ship Crime

Personally and thankfully I have never witnessed a crime on board a ship during any cruise and it is a surprise to learn the prevalence of this activity.

Below you will see just how much criminal activity we are very close to when cruising.

Cruise ships are required to report serious crimes. This includes a homicide, any suspicious death, an assault that results with a bodily injury, or a sexual assault. Any money theft above $10k is also supposed to be reported. Outside of these crimes, however, the cruise ship company can resolve the case internally without saying another word. Needless to say, there are thousands of victims of cruise ship crime that will never see justice served.

Incredibly since 2011 more than 950 crimes have been reported to the FBI by cruise ship lines.

According to the head of the FBI of New York's city division, almost every cruise ship that comes into port in New York requests agents to come on board because something had happened.

These reports ranged from people going overboard to sexual assaults and thefts.

Makes you want to look over your shoulder on your next cruise. However be aware.

A lot of it would probably be bickering and incidents between crew. With a high passenger turnover it is less likely to be a passenger committing crime all the time. It does happen but I was in the Navy once and know what it is like working on a ship. Once a crew gets entrenched into the ship and daily life becomes routine it is possible for crimes of opportunity to occur. Sexual assault is probably high on the list among crew with crew being away from family and a mix of both sexes and the opportunity for it to occur it is likely to happen more regularly than we think. It gets to the point of sexual favours to overlook dismissable disciplinary infractions.

The reason we never hear about it so much is because it does not usually involve a passenger. If it involved a passenger then it will make headlines and we can all remember the headlines over the past years. Incidents like the Brimble case with P&O Australia and the Smith case with Royal Caribbean hit the headlines big time. If it is crew then the incidents are easier to contain and keep from the public.

Interesting, but a couple of things is was in US where there are a lot of short cruises...

and saying that it is more a party feel to the ship, as well as a lot of mega ships particularly in the Carrabin on short cruises...  So a lot more younger people drinking a lot more..

But it can happen anywhere..... like the Aussie group tossed off a Carnival ship at Eden...

And hearing on CC how some people thing the cruise is all about them.... and drink some of them to excess....

Finger Crossed seen nothing on our cruises.... but you do look out as you would in a large hotel..

Cheers Don 

Quote: A lot of it would probably be bickering and incidents between crew. With a high passenger turnover it is less likely to be a passenger committing crime all the time. 

I agree with this. When staff have told me about how small their living quarters are and what it's like to share a room I can see that there would be problems. Security for their possessions would be paramount as I wonder if they have a safe each like passengers do? Pilfering their purses whilst in the shower for instance.

The other thing is their young age and might I say sexual starvation as they don't sail as couples as passengers do as most of them are elderly.

Edited by greykangaroo

54 minutes ago, greykangaroo said:

Quote: A lot of it would probably be bickering and incidents between crew. With a high passenger turnover it is less likely to be a passenger committing crime all the time. 

I agree with this. When staff have told me about how small their living quarters are and what it's like to share a room I can see that there would be problems. Security for their possessions would be paramount as I wonder if they have a safe each like passengers do? Pilfering their purses whilst in the shower for instance.

The other thing is their young age and might I say sexual starvation as they don't sail as couples as passengers do as most of them are elderly.

In crew cabins if there isn't a safe, there is often a lockable drawer (a drawer where a padlock can be attached). Their wages can be kept safely by the Crew Office until they disembark. Staff are warned that theft is a dismissable offence - no second chances.

Some of the crew have their spouse on board and many others have a girlfriend or boyfriend. They can request to share a cabin. Romances with passengers are a definite 'no-no'.

I was on the Solstice once, late in the evening, walking past an empty bar on my way back to my cabin.

I saw a passenger shouting, and in the face of a smaller man, who appeared to be a waiter.

The passenger then grabbed the waiter by the arm,  but at that point realised I was there, and let him go.

He continued shouting incoherently however, so I sat down on a chair near the two of them. I'm not a big man, but was a a front row prop in my younger days and have the build and ugliness to go with it.

The passenger got the message, and moved on.

Some interesting figures there.

I am always intrigued by where the sewerage all goes. These ships have up to 7000 people on them and are as big as many regional towns and small cities. I know what it takes in sewerage treatment plants to convert the raw sewerage into clear water. As I never see any effluent removal  trucks meet the ships and even if they did you would need a hundred trucks. How do they do all this on board?

Edited by greykangaroo

18 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

There is a site for victims...

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

Finally found it👍:

Cruise Line Incident Reports

However this only applies to USA. I wonder if this sort of information is accessble for Australian cruise ships?

Edited by ilikeanswers

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Cruise Line Incident Reports

However this only applies to USA. I wonder if this sort of information is accessble for Australian cruise ships?

Good job finding this. In reading some figures I was surprised that all the incidents that I read related to passengers.

It is highly probable that the incidents are between people who share the same cabin.[including husbands and wives in some cases]

13 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Treated, and dumped out to sea.

Treated? 

One day when I was walking around the promenade deck at the stern a fellow passenger was looking over at the wake and he drew my attention to the brown part of the wake on the starboard side. A great continuous discharge as far as I could see. 

As I said, I know what it takes to treat the sewerage of a town of 7000 people. Huge settling ponds, tanks and pumps. Unlimited electricity.

There is no doubt that treatment is occurring on the ships but how much of the solids are the fish eating?

3 hours ago, greykangaroo said:

Treated? 

One day when I was walking around the promenade deck at the stern a fellow passenger was looking over at the wake and he drew my attention to the brown part of the wake on the starboard side. A great continuous discharge as far as I could see. 

As I said, I know what it takes to treat the sewerage of a town of 7000 people. Huge settling ponds, tanks and pumps. Unlimited electricity.

There is no doubt that treatment is occurring on the ships but how much of the solids are the fish eating?

Plenty of hits on Google for that topic and explanations of what is required, what is allowed and whether or not regulations are complied with.

1 hour ago, mum and son said:

Do you ever take a look at Cruise Bruise? It has a lot of interesting tales...

Thanks but after a bit of Googling I found out why I can't find Aussie stats:

Why we need to know about crime on Australian cruise ships

I tried looking up about Europe too but no luck there either.

I think if you were also to Google crime etc in the town you live in, the statistics would read very much the same. 

Anytime that human population live together in any type of proximity, crime, illness and accidents occur.

I think this is called life and a cruise ship is just a small capsule of life isn’t it? 🥺

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I think if you were also to Google crime etc in the town you live in, the statistics would read very much the same. 

Anytime that human population live together in any type of proximity, crime, illness and accidents occur.

I think this is called life and a cruise ship is just a small capsule of life isn’t it? 🥺

To me the difference is that a cruise ship isn't really public space. In my opinion it is private property that you need permission to access, permission people gain by paying a fee or being employed on the ship. I see it more like if you are invited to someones house for a get together I expect the host to create an environment that is safe for everyone. I expect the property to be safe, I expect the host to keep order of the party and I expect the host to keep the other guests and the staff catering the party in line. If the host cannot manage the group of people that they are bringing together and prevent them from hurting others then you have to question if that host should be allowed to continue bringing people together particularly if it is for profit.

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

To me the difference is that a cruise ship isn't really public space. In my opinion it is private property that you need permission to access, permission people gain by paying a fee or being employed on the ship. I see it more like if you are invited to someones house for a get together I expect the host to create an environment that is safe for everyone. I expect the property to be safe, I expect the host to keep order of the party and I expect the host to keep the other guests and the staff catering the party in line. If the host cannot manage the group of people that they are bringing together and prevent them from hurting others then you have to question if that host should be allowed to continue bringing people together particularly if it is for profit.

You know, you are absolutely correct. 

We go through security to board the ship and our rooms are also secure. To access most things within the ship we use security, (our cards) so it is a monitored environment.

For the most part, I believe that cruising is safe, that there is very little crime in comparison to the number of people cruising.

If someone feels otherwise, perhaps cruising isn’t for them 🤔