Arriving in New Orleans

cruisecrazypat

54 minutes ago, cruisecrazypat said:

We live 90 miles from the port. Sailing in 10 days.  We have FTTF.  Plan to park at the pier.  What would be the best, earliest time to arrive to get parking spot and board ship.  Thanks

Parking at the pier is fast and easy.  If you get there at 10:00 you could easily be checked in and sitting in waiting area by 10:30 and if everything goes well, on the ship by 11:00 or shortly thereafter!  Enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 1

If there are two ships in port, I recommend that you do not drive into "Port of New Orleans Place" to drop off luggage. Drive into the garage and hopefully you can wheel your luggage along with you.  If there are two ships in, this little access road can get jammed up.

We were on Breakway for its first arrival to New Orleans and it was a disaster for disembarkation for us and in embarkation for the next people.  I assume they have worked out the issues better by now but traffic was jammed up badly with drop offs and pick ups and buses and taxis could not get in to take people away from 9am on.  We waited over 2 hours from getting out luggage until getting into a taxi.  Since we were jamming up the areas in front of security, the arriving passengers could not get in easily to get to the security lines.  yikes.

Has it gotten better with two ships in port?

3 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

If there are two ships in port, I recommend that you do not drive into "Port of New Orleans Place" to drop off luggage. Drive into the garage and hopefully you can wheel your luggage along with you.  If there are two ships in, this little access road can get jammed up.

We were on Breakway for its first arrival to New Orleans and it was a disaster for disembarkation for us and in embarkation for the next people.  I assume they have worked out the issues better by now but traffic was jammed up badly with drop offs and pick ups and buses and taxis could not get in to take people away from 9am on.  We waited over 2 hours from getting out luggage until getting into a taxi.  Since we were jamming up the areas in front of security, the arriving passengers could not get in easily to get to the security lines.  yikes.

Has it gotten better with two ships in port?

Norwegian uses Julia Street terminal and Carnival uses Erato Street terminal. Completely different experience in my opinion (Erato is much better)

4 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Norwegian uses Julia Street terminal and Carnival uses Erato Street terminal. Completely different experience in my opinion (Erato is much better)

Sounds like a better building at Erato.  But they share the same loading/unloading access road, which is why my arrival in New Orleans was such a debacle.  Julia Street and Erato Street don't factor into traffic.  I see that Port of New Orleans Place is two-way up to the Erato building... so cars and taxis can turn around and get out the south way.  Does that keep the Carnival end moving as compared to the one-way two lanes down at the Julia end?

5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Sounds like a better building at Erato.  But they share the same loading/unloading access road, which is why my arrival in New Orleans was such a debacle.  Julia Street and Erato Street don't factor into traffic.  I see that Port of New Orleans Place is two-way up to the Erato building... so cars and taxis can turn around and get out the south way.  Does that keep the Carnival end moving as compared to the one-way two lanes down at the Julia end?

I always park at the port in New Orleans. At Erato it means using the garage entrance, stopping on deck 3-ish where they take your checked bag, and then proceeding to your parking deck. Usually 4 or 5 for us. Therefore we don't use the drive through drop off lanes at the bottom. However, they seem to move fine.

The problem at Julia street is that you have to pull front first into and angled spot, unload, and then be directed to back out by security so that you can proceed to the parking lot across the streets (diagonally), park and walk back. There are no drive thru lanes. It is is a total pain on top of causing that loading lane to backup something fierce. It makes me want to park offsite but the shuttles are even more of a pain. LOL

• Like 1