Polynesian culture center

Rpiovesan

Hi everyone,

We have booked an excursion through princess cruises to go to the polynesian center for October 13th. Only issue is the there website says they are closed on Sundays. I contacted princess and they say there is nothing to worry about and I haven't heard from the center yet. Should I  be concerned?

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

It could well be that Princess has contracted for private access for the excursion even though it is closed to the public.

That has certainly happened in other parts of the world.

Twice we've  taken ships' tours (neither was Princess) because that was the only option on the days when places were closed to Joe Public.

JB :classic_smile:

I would be surprised if they would open on Sunday for a ship's excursion.  It is run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( The Mormons).   They celebrate the sabbath on Sundays. 

Of course,  I get surprised a lot  😉

Aloha!

• Like 2

Funny part is that I called Princess and they told me that "they would not schedule an excursion on a day without an arrangement with the facility, not to worry"

All I know is that if I find out that there is nothing to do that day, I will be pissed!

4 hours ago, Rpiovesan said:

Funny part is that I called Princess and they told me that "they would not schedule an excursion on a day without an arrangement with the facility, not to worry"

All I know is that if I find out that there is nothing to do that day, I will be pissed!

I think we are on the same cruise on the Star that arrives Honolulu on 13th October. I was curious about your question because I've never known the Polynesian Cultural Center to open on Sundays. 

I just checked the excursion booking page and it still shows the Polynesian Cultural Center on the list.  However, when you click through to try and reserve, there is now an error message. So maybe someone at Princess made a mistake and have just realized it?  

Edited by ell52

On 8/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, Rpiovesan said:

and they told me that "they would not schedule an excursion on a day without an arrangement with the facility, not to worry"

That would be what any logical person would assume, but unless the person you talked with actually checked, I would not take that as gospel. I can 99.3% guarantee you the PCC isn't open on a Sunday.

After many phone calls I finally got someone to check and i have canceled the excursion. I felt cheated because it was one of the reasons we booked the trip and now we can't go. Princess has very poor customer service and didn't care about anything I said. We haven't even board yet and I'm already disappointed.

1 hour ago, Rpiovesan said:

After many phone calls I finally got someone to check and i have canceled the excursion. I felt cheated because it was one of the reasons we booked the trip and now we can't go. Princess has very poor customer service and didn't care about anything I said. We haven't even board yet and I'm already disappointed.

Here's the thing about calling Princess:  You are basically speaking to a service rep who probably hasn't cruised before and is giving you "stock" answers based on their training and sometimes on experience and knowledge they've gleaned working there.  You can get different answers to the same question depending on who you speak to. 

It's an ongoing joke on the Princess boards that "if you don't like the answer you get from one rep, just call again". 

Edited by ell52

19 minutes ago, ell52 said:

It's an ongoing joke on the Princess boards that "if you don't like the answer you get from one rep, just call again". 

That is so funny as we say the exact same thing on the Royal Caribbean board. 🤣

• Haha 1

I hope missing the PCC will not ruin your cruise.  There is a reason Oahu has most of Hawaii's population, there is an awful lot to do there and it is beautiful.  (of course all of the islands are beautiful) 

Aloha!  

• Like 1

There are some wonderful luau's on Oahu that give you a taste of Polynesia and also give you the day free to enjoy other parts of the island.  I realize that I will sound very negative on the PCC but it was a "once and done" for us and we never take guests there.  If someone REALLY wants to visit the PCC we are happy to drop them off.  The PCC is a very entertaining park but I hope you will find a luau for the evening which includes entertainment from around Polynesia and add something like the Iolani Palace for a beautiful history of Hawaii.  This, of course, is just my opinion and I hope you have a great cruise around the Hawaiian Islands.  Cherie 

1 hour ago, cccole said:

There are some wonderful luau's on Oahu that give you a taste of Polynesia and also give you the day free to enjoy other parts of the island.  I realize that I will sound very negative on the PCC but it was a "once and done" for us and we never take guests there.  If someone REALLY wants to visit the PCC we are happy to drop them off.  The PCC is a very entertaining park but I hope you will find a luau for the evening which includes entertainment from around Polynesia and add something like the Iolani Palace for a beautiful history of Hawaii.  This, of course, is just my opinion and I hope you have a great cruise around the Hawaiian Islands.  Cherie 

Which one would you recommend.  We are thinking of  Germaines, Paradise Cove, Chiefs. Thanks 

20 hours ago, nikel said:

Which one would you recommend.  We are thinking of  Germaines, Paradise Cove, Chiefs. Thanks 

I have not been to a commercial luau in many years but always read the threads on this forum.  Someone recently posted that they are going to the Diamond Head Luau which is on the grounds of the Waikiki Aquarium.  It looks like a great venue and has all the bells and whistles.  If you are active or retired U.S. military there is a luau at the Hale Koa.  I believe that they open the luau to non-military but you can check their website.  This would be my first choice on Oahu if I could get in.

Chiefs also gets great reviews.

When you look down this forum for Luau threads you will see many have favorites on Maui. I love the entertainment but am not fond of the food served at commercial luaus so if you are not looking for the entire experience (and price) you might check to see if any of the luau venues offer "show and cocktail" tickets.  This would give you entrance to the luau for the entertainment and a couple cocktails.  I know there are a couple of these venues on Maui.  The Te Moana Nui luau at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani in Waikiki offers this so you might call other venues if you are interested in "show only" tickets.  Hope this helps and enjoy your visit to Hawaii.  Cherie