Group dining

2wheelin

We have a group of 40 or so for a wedding and  although the couple has late seating (with their 6 children) some guests have chosen YTD feeling we would all be at random location assigned tables at late seating. The groom has expressed thoughts that we may not all see each other all week if at different dinner times. My questions (I am not the planner but we have a TA) : If the cabins are linked I assume we will at least be seated with someone in our group but will the tables all be together? Might we be on different sides of the dining room anyway? If we are together, is it acceptable to change around to different tables each night as long as we only use our group tables? Could we end up with different waitstaff and how would they view that.

Checking when we embark with all the cabin numbers probably will not happen as that is when the wedding takes place. On the Legend if that matters.

We will opt for late dining IF we have a reasonable expectation of being together and able to “mingle” . Otherwise prefer YTD.

Yes, I did ask this question before but it was an add-on to an old post and got few responses.

Your travel agent can arrange this for you, and yes all tables should be in the same area and having the reservations linked does also help.

You can move the members in your group around however you wish at the assigned tables.  With that big of a group you will probably have different waiter at the various tables.  It would be nice if one person at each table would say something to them on the first night, but if not they are pretty bright and will figure it out.  Its not like they have never seen this before.

Thanks. Probably easier these days to move between tables as well with gratuities not having to be handed to “your” wait team on the last night.

Can’t count on our TA for anything but maybe I can get the bride to push her a little.

then for sure make sure they link all reservations.

I'm not sure about Carnival, as they are not my Primary cruise line, but maybe some on the forum like? @Shaded Lady can provide you with an email to the dinning reservations or even the maître d′ for your specific ship.  Email them no sooner than halfway through the previous cruise with all the cabin numbers and ask them if they can help.

Me I would have the Bride push the travel agent, with 40 bookings, they are making some serious moula and ought to do what most I believe will say is their job.

We won't have as large of a group as you, but there will be 8 of us.  I just contacted the Maitred on our ship that we will be cruising on in March, and received a nice reply back, as I was asking for a certain type of table.

We had a group of under 30 and there was a number I called to make arrangements. We picked the best part of the dinning room. Also we had 3 circular tables. Each table fit a max of 11 people (I think). I planned the seating arrangements at each table. Also, early dinning filled up and we had some late comers to book their cruise. They made accommodations to pull them into early dinning so they could be apart of our seating arrangements. I'm sure your Travel agent (TA) can help you with this. The TA can also change their dinning times to make sure you guys eat together. I would just inform your guest of the changes. A good TA should have booked everyone at the same time especially for a wedding party. 

Edited by Treyatl2006

On 8/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, cruisegus said:

I'm not sure about Carnival, as they are not my Primary cruise line, but maybe some on the forum like? @Shaded Lady can provide you with an email to the dinning reservations or even the maître d′ for your specific ship.  Email them no sooner than halfway through the previous cruise with all the cabin numbers and ask them if they can help.

Me I would have the Bride push the travel agent, with 40 bookings, they are making some serious moula and ought to do what most I believe will say is their job.

I agree with cruisegus- between the wedding coordinator from Carnival and the TA, they should be able to make this happen for an event like a wedding... regardless, here's the list of emails as requested, just note as many have said on other posts, the maître d' is not obligated to respond to unsolicited emails, so if you don't hear back, don't be upset:

Email below----replace the XX with the ship's code (Dream = DR). We found it's usually best to email about 5 days before your cruise.

Maitre d' - xxmaitred@carnival.com
Steakhouse - xxsteakhouse@carnival.com (for ships with a steakhouse)

BR Breeze
CQ Conquest
DR Dream
EC Ecstacy
EL Elation
FA Fantasy
FD Freedom
FS Fascination
GL Glory
IM Imagination
IS Inspiration
LE Legend
LI Liberty
MC Magic
MI Miracle
PA Paradise
PR Pride
SE Sensation
SL Splendor
SP Spirit
SN Sunrise
SH Sunshine
VA Valor
VI Victory
VS Vista 
  • Like 1

After I contacting the Horizon Maitred again, and asking "how" they determine where people sit (this may not be in all cases) in the MDR, he said they go by the request first.  So I was happy I contacted him when I did.