Recommendations please for chilled day in Belize??

nickynok1

Hi All,

I am coming out with my DD on Carnival at the beginning of September.  We are looking for some recommendations for a chilled day out.  Any reasonably priced recommendations/ideas please?

Thanks in advance

We booked a day trip to Goff’s Caye Island through ShoreExcursioneer.com $100 for the both of us.  It’s a small island the size of a football field that has amazing snorkeling.   And I saw another post on here that someone got a lobster tail and beer for just $8.

I’ve been to Goff’s Key and while the snorkeling is pretty good I wouldn’t characterize it as “chill”.  The ride over is a boat ride that can be smooth or rough, dependent on the relative calmness of the water.  One may or may not consider such a ride chill.  There is, or was, very little comfortable seating on the island.  No rows of nice loungers for sure.   The restroom facilities are a couple of small but adequate outhouse looking things set off to one end.  They are not particularly nice but are, as I said, adequate.   My wife didn’t go but I’m quite certain she would have only tolerated the experience.  The lobster lunch was pretty good and worth the cost.

For our money and time, the best place to chill in Belize is aboard the ship.  No tender ride, no water taxi, we’ve been to the ruins, my wife wouldn’t set foot in a cave if it came with a cash bonus, very few drunks like what invariably populate the bars in the port area, plenty of free food to eat.  When 85% of the passengers get off the ship it makes for a very relaxing day for us.  YMMV

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 4:44 PM, azvacationgirl said:

We booked a day trip to Goff’s Caye Island through ShoreExcursioneer.com $100 for the both of us.  It’s a small island the size of a football field that has amazing snorkeling.   And I saw another post on here that someone got a lobster tail and beer for just $8.

I did this exact same excursion about 18 months back your going to have a great day, best snorkeling in the Caribbean and I don't snorkel much, some of the nicest water I've ever seen. Next time back to Belize I would do the same thing. Yes, grilled lobster tails I bought 2 that were awesome. GREAT food and drink, atmosphere is excellent our CC group we had a wonderful day. Have fun Todd

23 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

I’ve been to Goff’s Key and while the snorkeling is pretty good I wouldn’t characterize it as “chill”.  The ride over is a boat ride that can be smooth or rough, dependent on the relative calmness of the water.  One may or may not consider such a ride chill.  There is, or was, very little comfortable seating on the island.  No rows of nice loungers for sure.   The restroom facilities are a couple of small but adequate outhouse looking things set off to one end.  They are not particularly nice but are, as I said, adequate.   My wife didn’t go but I’m quite certain she would have only tolerated the experience.  The lobster lunch was pretty good and worth the cost.

For our money and time, the best place to chill in Belize is aboard the ship.  No tender ride, no water taxi, we’ve been to the ruins, my wife wouldn’t set foot in a cave if it came with a cash bonus, very few drunks like what invariably populate the bars in the port area, plenty of free food to eat.  When 85% of the passengers get off the ship it makes for a very relaxing day for us.  YMMV

Saw no drunks at the Wet Lizard or any other bar in the port area. Bars were packed, if I were you and your wife, you should take your own advice and stay on the ship. Have fun on the ship. Todd

Edited by TTEllis

I second the suggestion for Goeff's Kay or any other ship sponsored "beach break" "snorkel" type excursion if what you want is a "chill" day versus an "in port sea" day.  You get picked up at the ship, 10 minute longer boat ride than the tender to the pier, beach, food, drink, water, sun.

We've stayed on the ship in ports in the past, but we do get off in Belize and usually take an excursion to do something.  It's a great country to visit.  Don't let the worrywarts change your mind.

26 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Saw no drunks at the Wet Lizard or any other bar in the port area. Bars were packed, if I were you and your wife, you should take your own advice and stay on the ship. Have fun on the ship. Todd

Wow thanks Todd.  I can’t imagine what would make you think that, since it was my perspective (as opposed to advice; “For our money...”, not “If I were you..”) we wouldn’t do just that.  Do what you want.  And if you don’t like my perspective just state your own and keep your snarky comments to yourself.  Sounds like you need some chill.  

I booked this through Resorts for a Day, have no idea what it cost but totally worth it. Great Staff and Crew, food was great grilled lobster/fries and hush puppy's $12 or 2 for $20 something in that range) reasonably priced, ICE COLD buckets of Miller Lite all day long. Staff always attentive. 

My friends sitting behind me to the right are Steve and Liz(yoyosma) from our CC group we were on the Caribbean Princess, our blue and white striped towels are Princess beach towels. The two empty seats are my friends Adelle and Don(The Bun Mom), they're not in they're seats because they're standing in front of me taking pic's.

Water was some of the nicest I've seen anywhere, 3 maybe 4 barracuda's big one's, swam right in front of us. Fish all kinds everywhere, we had a big group from the ship everyone really seemed to enjoyed themselves. 

We tendered early started drinking as soon as I got on the dock. Once I realized our tour wouldn't be leaving for about another hour I went to the bar The Wet Lizard(perfect beach bar) great location, good drinks, hot chicks and no drunks, except me.😁

I went through the mall there wasn't much back there, when I go back to this destination I would almost certainly take this excursion again, to Goff's Caye. 

• Like 1