Recommendations for pre and post cruise hotels

txflood33

we will be on Millie in March 2020 and just looking for some additional suggestions for hotels before we book

We are sailing out of Hong Kong....we are monitoring the protests and situation carefully. We will be flying in a few days early to see the city...and maybe adjust from some jet lag. We were recommended Kowloon Hotel and from what I have seen is a nice hotel. Any other suggestions for Hong Kong?

We are finishing the cruise in Shanghai. Same as above; we will be staying a few days to see the city. I was told Les Suites Orient Hotel was a good choice here. Any other recommendations for Shanghai hotels?

Also, many hotels in the US offer free or low cost shuttles to/from the airport. It it the same in these cities or should I also be looking to book ground transportation to/from the hotels to/from the airports? 

TIA

If you don't mind taking a subway train, HK has an excellent Airport Express train from the terminals to stations in Kowloon and HK Island.  These are dedicated airport trains.

From the Kowloon Station you can take the complimentary AE shuttle bus to your hotel.  I think there is a complimentary porter service to help you from the platform to the shuttle, tipping is not necessary, but welcomed.  Your bus route looks to be K2: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

Look out & avoid the a few "freelance porters" that will direct you to their taxi...:classic_dry:

Regular taxis are plentiful at the airport, it's about a 45 minute drive in to Kowloon, but you'll need to pay in HK$, no credit cards.  It's also best to print out the name of the hotel & address in Chinese as a lot of the drivers English is limited.  On the hotel's website upper right corner just click on the Chinese characters next to ENGLISH and you'll get to the Chinese side.   Others can tell you what the current fares are.

As you come out of Customs & Immigration there's a bank of ATMs nearby to get some HK$.

Edited by Philob