New scooter

ljslight

I just got a new scooter. Upgraded from a manual wheelchair. I have severe RA and Fibro. Can I take the scooter on the plane? Is it safe to check a scooter? Do I need to box it up? I am doing a 16 Hawaii cruise in 4 weeks. We start out at Vancouver and end up at LA. Can I still rent one if I have different embark and final port?

Thanks for your help!!!

1 hour ago, ljslight said:

I just got a new scooter. Upgraded from a manual wheelchair. I have severe RA and Fibro. Can I take the scooter on the plane? Is it safe to check a scooter? Do I need to box it up? I am doing a 16 Hawaii cruise in 4 weeks. We start out at Vancouver and end up at LA. Can I still rent one if I have different embark and final port?

Thanks for your help!!!

I'm assuming you got a travel scooter. If so, you should not have any problems taking it on a plain. Regardless, please check the airline's standard rules. Most airlines, you can drive it to the plane or you can do the same as I. I ask when I get to the gate, if they want to take it then and later take me to the plane in a wheelchair or if they want me to drive it to the plane and they will take it from there. At the boarding gate, they will put a gate luggage tag on it and give you the stub. I have standard gel batteries. If you have lithium batteries, you will have to remove them and carry them on board the plane with you. You will be one of the first on the plane and the last off the plane, so just relax and wait. The scooter will be delivered to you at the plane. A few times I have been provided a wheelchair to my scooter. As soon as you purchase your flight tickets, contact the airline to let them know you will be traveling with a scooter.

You do not have to box it up or package it in any manner. The airlines are fairly cautious, however over time you may notice a minor scratch or two on your scooter.

Delta has recently come up with a form to attach to the scooter. It is very similar to one I made years ago when the scooters were first introduced to the airlines. Do a little search on their website and you will probably find it.

I do not have any knowledge of the large mobility scooters or if they are allowed on planes. I have not ever seen any of the old large ones on a plane or ship. Do not know if they are still being made.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

On 8/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, ljslight said:

I am doing a 16 Hawaii cruise in 4 weeks. We start out at Vancouver and end up at LA. Can I still rent one if I have different embark and final port?

From the ports you mention, you can probably rent a scooter in Vancouver and drop it off in LA.   We were on a Hawaii cruise in May from Honolulu to Vancouver and rented a scooter in Honolulu and dropped it off in Vancouver.

But if you have your own scooter, you probably won't need to rent one.  

Your question asks if you can take a scooter ON the plane.   You can't take it on board but most airlines allow you to take it to the door of the plane and then they will stow it for you.   If you need assistance ON the plane, the airline has special wheelchairs to get you down the aisle.  Check your airline's website and let them know you are bringing a mobility device. 

Is yours a travel scooter?

21 hours ago, CruzerJim said:

All American airlines are required by law (ADA) to provide free transport for mobility devices. Check to see what kind of batteries you have and contact the airline in advance to make arrangements.

I believe airlines are covered by the Air Carrier Access Act.   Compliance is required by all US airlines and flights to and from the US by foreign airlines.  

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/passengers-disabilities

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 12:16 PM, ljslight said:

Thanks for your help!!!

You always need to contact the special needs department of the airline you are flying with, this is especially important because of the battery you scooter takes. If you do not  get authorization from the airline first and if you have a Lithium battery over 300w they will not let you board or they can confiscate your battery. Best to contact them first.

I've done more than 50 flights with my Pride Go Go Sport and I've never, ever contacted the airline to get approval for my scooter.  I've never been denied boarding and my batteries have not been taken away.  Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

OP, just make sure you have gel batteries and you won't have a problem.

You can rent a scooter in one city and have it picked up in another.  When we cruised the Med in May, they brought the scooter to the ship in Rome and they picked it up 24 days later in Barcelona.  We used Scootaround for the rental.  

If you bring your own scooter, they will allow you to ride it to the plane's door and the baggage handlers will put it in the luggage hold.  It's better if you fold the tiller down as it makes it easier to carry the scooter down the steps.  

I have flown many times with my travel  scooter both in the US and Europe.  I have always informed the airline in advance as they advise you to do.  When I had my Pride Go Go with the Gel battery the whole scooter was just pushed up a ramp into the hold, but last year a bought a lightweight one with a lithium battery and then you have to take the battery into the cabin with you.  You must put it it a bag and you can take this on board as extra hand luggage.

Always contact the airlines prior.  Although you might not have an issue just showing up, the airlines can refuse the chair since they have limited room.  By letting them know, you have reserved a spot for your chair.  Plus, if you have lithium batteries, they must be declared.  If you are flying with two different airlines, on a code share ticket, make sure both airlines know, not just the first one.  I had a small issue and had to get approval at an airport in Japan.  Never assume, it will be fine, and always let them know.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, kitty9 said:

I've done more than 50 flights with my Pride Go Go Sport and I've never, ever contacted the airline to get approval for my scooter.  I've never been denied boarding and my batteries have not been taken away.  Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

OP, just make sure you have gel batteries and you won't have a problem.

You can rent a scooter in one city and have it picked up in another.  When we cruised the Med in May, they brought the scooter to the ship in Rome and they picked it up 24 days later in Barcelona.  We used Scootaround for the rental.  

If you bring your own scooter, they will allow you to ride it to the plane's door and the baggage handlers will put it in the luggage hold.  It's better if you fold the tiller down as it makes it easier to carry the scooter down the steps.  

So, you  never have to take the scooter apart at the gate? Just fold the tiller? The go go sport is the one I am considering but wasn't sure about getting to a plane with it.

Nope, I've never taken it apart.  Some gate workers don't even want the tiller folded.  But you do take the scooter key with you.  It would be a nightmare if you kept the key on the scooter and they lost it.  I also have a tiny stuffed bear attached to the key ring so it's easy to find if you put it in your purse during the flight.  

I use a bariatric (heavy weight) chair, Pride Victory 10, 4 wheel model. I have the key tied off to the handle on my tiller. I don't care if the ramp guys ride it or push it down to the hold from the jetway although I do remind them to turn it off when stowed. There is a switch on the rear deck that engages/disengages the transmission. I carry the charger in my carry on.