Gluten free in Sydney

pedirn

I am searching for information regarding purchasing gluten free products to take onboard the Ruby Princess .   I had planned on flying with rolls and snacks but wonder if this is necessary.  I know as long as they are commercially produced and in an unopened package I would just need to declare them on arrival in Sydney.  But from what I am reading on other threads it seems like I may be able to purchase GF products when I arrive.  Can anyone who is GF recommend local brands as I am sure it is like in the states...not all GF products are the same.   

I also have have a question regarding restaurants.   I have been researching on Trip Advisor for places to eat.   A lot say they have GF but it seems many have salad and grilled meats.   This will get old after a few days so looking for variety.  We are staying at the Four Seasons so if anyone would share their favorite restaurants and dishes I would really appreciate it.

TIA

Chris

I had asked a similar question on another thread. 

After an extensive search, it seems that Australia is very gluten-friendly.

That being said, after a very frustrating search for stores, which wasted a good deal my valuable time, in another country, I will be bringing some of my own familiar packaged snacks. They will be unopened, and I will declare them.

There's nothing worse than being stuck in an airport, on a plane, bus, or tour, and being hungry. This has happened a few times in "glutei-friendly" environments and I want options because I tend to get very "hangry".

https://www.coeliac.org.au/travelling-to-australia/

Thanks sippican.  I will have some food with me but mainly for the flight to Sydney.   Ordering a GF meal on flights is not always successful and I don’t get a meal 50% of the time.   In Sydney I just wanted to pick up some rolls and snack items to take on ship as same toasted bread every meal for 29 days will get monotonous.   

BTW....Love be your location....We are originally from NH and now live on east coast of Fl.

• Like 1

The Ship will cater for Gluten Free passengers.   Our friend who cruised with us for the first time last Christmas was in food heaven when he found out about the Gluten Free options!   He had one of the Head Waiters as his best friend!  In the dining room she would immediately ask him if he would like a small batch of scones (you might call them biscuits) instead of bread before his meal!    A few minutes later a batch would appear - made by the chef especially for him!    As for the buffet - we kept finding him having sweets, desserts and ice cream, and he wondered why his new shirts did not fit!

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You can check online what the supermarkets stock. www.coles.com.au and www.woolworths.com.au then search on gluten free.

Thanks.  I have done that but am not familiar with the locals brands and local restaurants 

I am going on the Majestic princess out of Sydney in November as well and staying at the FS too! I was in Australia last summer and they were pretty gluten free friendly. I was surprised at how many places offered gluten free bread, rolls and GF options beyond salad. I have not been to Sydney and have been starting to investigate some options. Find me Gluten Free website and app have helped sometimes in the past when I've traveled. If you are on instagram, you can also try to search for gluten free in Sydney that way. I had great luck with that in other places. My last hope is that the concierge at FS will have some insights as well.

I'm still doing research on GF brands cause I can't remember the ones I tried last year. i'll try to let you know if I find any good options. 

Have you been on Princess since being GF? Did they have a decent number of options?

https://www.findmeglutenfree.com/

17 hours ago, sdonlon13 said:

I am going on the Majestic princess out of Sydney in November as well and staying at the FS too! I was in Australia last summer and they were pretty gluten free friendly. I was surprised at how many places offered gluten free bread, rolls and GF options beyond salad. I have not been to Sydney and have been starting to investigate some options. Find me Gluten Free website and app have helped sometimes in the past when I've traveled. If you are on instagram, you can also try to search for gluten free in Sydney that way. I had great luck with that in other places. My last hope is that the concierge at FS will have some insights as well.

I'm still doing research on GF brands cause I can't remember the ones I tried last year. i'll try to let you know if I find any good options. 

Have you been on Princess since being GF? Did they have a decent number of options?

https://www.findmeglutenfree.com/

Thanks. It’s nice to know I won’t have to eat salad for four days 😄.   The last time I was in Sydney was in 2008 prior to diagnosis and having to go gluten free.  The FS hotel was great and location was perfect.     I have been on many Princess ships traveling GF.  I have had good and not so good experiences.  I have never been glutened on a Princess ship (RCCL is another story).   Mostly issue is with head waiter you end up with to handle your order.  Some are very good and some leave you sitting forever to get next day menu.   Funny on one ship they would not serve me caesar salad (minus croutons) as they said dressing not GF but all other ships would.   Crown Grill made the onion soup for me with GF bread and Ultimate Balcony Dinner accommodated me without an issue.   Special GF dessert each night was good....some better than others but still nice. I have read that some had to order GF pizza a day ahead but this has never been my case.   I would suggest taking some rolls...for burgers, hotdogs.   In the past I have taken on bakery that I made at home by flying with it frozen.  But will not be an option this time as Australia is strict about bring non commercial food into country so trying to buy some locally.    Going to try and buy rolls and breakfast pastries as well as some snack bars for tours.

Chris

sdonlon13....bread that tastes good without toasting?   I will definitely try it.  Thanks.  Just hate paying $9-$10 for a loaf of bread/rolls and not liking it.  That’s why I ask for recommendations.