Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
redcruzer

Passports required for Bahamas??

Recommended Posts

Hello, is a passport required for a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas if you depart and return from the same US port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No...but when you get off in port bring your picture ID along with your SeaPass card...this is one port that we actually had to show it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are not US citizens, and were not asked for a passport or ID in the bahamas (that was either 2017 or 2018)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nalrudaini said:

We are not US citizens, and were not asked for a passport or ID in the bahamas (that was either 2017 or 2018)

That is surprising. I have always had to show a picture ID to get back into the port area. And I have seen plenty of people detained who didn't have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many boards are you going to post this same question to??? The cruise lines don't set passport requirements, they follow each country's rules. Seeing the same question on multiple boards is annoying and useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nalrudaini said:

We are not US citizens, and were not asked for a passport or ID in the bahamas (that was either 2017 or 2018)

But you needed a passport to board the cruise didn’t you.  The op was asking if they needed a passport to take a cruise to the Bahamas not what they had to show in port.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But you needed a passport to board the cruise didn’t you.  The op was asking if they needed a passport to take a cruise to the Bahamas not what they had to show in port.

I think that post was in response to post #3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But you needed a passport to board the cruise didn’t you.  The op was asking if they needed a passport to take a cruise to the Bahamas not what they had to show in port.

 

Just as @Ocean Boy mentioned, I was replying to post #3. 

I do need my passport to board the ship.  When we are in port, I keep the passports in the sage, but I always carry my ID and the IDs for my wife and kids with me.  But I never had to show them - not even on the Bahamas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is surprising. I have always had to show a picture ID to get back into the port area. And I have seen plenty of people detained who didn't have one.

Sometimes it matters when you return to the port. If you arrive shortly before the all aboard time when hundreds of people are boarding they won't ask for ID, they just wave everyone through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is surprising. I have always had to show a picture ID to get back into the port area. And I have seen plenty of people detained who didn't have one.

 

Same here. In our experience, Nassau is the most consistent port in asking to see a photo ID in order to approach the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to clarify, you DO NOT NEED a passport to board the ship.   On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate is just fine!

 

Quote

Just as @Ocean Boy mentioned, I was replying to post #3. 

I do need my passport to board the ship.  When we are in port, I keep the passports in the sage, but I always carry my ID and the IDs for my wife and kids with me.  But I never had to show them - not even on the Bahamas.

 

Edited by skyking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skyking said:

Just to clarify, you DO NOT NEED a passport to board the ship.   On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate is just fine!

 

 

 

If one is a US citizen by birth and doing a closed loop cruise out of a US port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the Caribbean Countries (including Bahamas/Bermuda) require passports for US citizens on a cruise (closed loop).  Do bring your DL to take ashore with you, as you should ALWAYS have ID on you wherever you go!

 

DL and BC are fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, skyking said:

Just to clarify, you DO NOT NEED a passport to board the ship.   On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate is just fine!

 

 

Post #4. The OP is not a U.S. citizen. Does that change  anything that you wrote??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

 When we are in port, I keep the passports in the sage, but I always carry my ID and the IDs for my wife and kids with me.  But I never had to show them - not even on the Bahamas.

Where is this sage?  Are there cabins available with sage?  If so, which ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Where is this sage?  Are there cabins available with sage?  If so, which ones?

I think he means the microwave that is located in the closet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Post #4. The OP is not a U.S. citizen. Does that change  anything that you wrote??

The OP is not the same person who wrote post #4. In fact we have no idea whether the OP is a US citizen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The OP is not the same person who wrote post #4. In fact we have no idea whether the OP is a US citizen.

Yup, missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Where is this sage?  Are there cabins available with sage?  If so, which ones?

You are cute 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think he means the microwave that is located in the closet.

ROTFLMBO  !!!!    Good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, skyking said:

Just to clarify, you DO NOT NEED a passport to board the ship.   On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate is just fine!

 

Not true.

 

My SO needs her passport to board the ship.  Even on a closed loop cruise.

 

BTW, not everyone is a US citizen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SRF said:

...

BTW, not everyone is a US citizen.  

 

A natural born US citizen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

A natural born US citizen.

However even a naturalized US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise. They can use their Certificate of Naturalization in the same way a natural born US citizen can use their birth certificate. And if someone was a US citizen at birth but was born outside the US they can use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad for the same purpose as a person born in the US uses their birth certificate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

However even a naturalized US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise. They can use their Certificate of Naturalization in the same way a natural born US citizen can use their birth certificate. And if someone was a US citizen at birth but was born outside the US they can use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad for the same purpose as a person born in the US uses their birth certificate.

 

I didn't say that a natualized US citizen needed a passport, just that a birth certificate alone was not sufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...