Missing the ship!!!

AndyMichelle

44 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Surely such a huge traffic jam to cause such a delay would have affected many others heading for the ship too? I've been on a few cruises where departure has been delayed because "many passengers are delayed" due to weather/traffic accidents and suchlike. 

Also, those who live within a couple of hours of Southampton, but still stay overnight in Southampton. You are depriving those who live much further away (six, seven or more hours) of the chance of travelling the day before. And, it's common sense that the farther you have to travel the more chance there is of delays.  In the days when I cruised as a family we used to do that, and one year the nearest I could get an overnight hotel room was Newbury! You can imagine how I felt when we met a young couple from Portsmouth who had overnighted in Southampton, in my first choice hotel! It still rankles to this day. 

Please take pity on your northern cousins and don't take up hotel rooms unnecessarily.

We fly down the day before and stay overnight

We have traveled on the train on the day of the cruise in the past and the train station is a 5 minute taxi or 15 minutes walk to the cruise terminals.

1 hour ago, kerryincork said:

By the way this not a forgone conclusion that they are not covered by their insurance. I do make a habit of reading the small print. There is usually some coverage of unavoidably delays. They should check it out. This can be car breaking down or strikes, all sorts of things.

The difficulty now if they were covered, they have to prove that they left their home in plenty of time to catch the ship. This is easier if they know beforehand about this cover and what they need to prove it example record of Sat nav. They would need to show traffic details probably from a site like 'AA'. This is not an easy process, but don't automatically assume that you are not covered for some sort of reimbursement.

The post started asking if others had experienced the same problems as they thought that if they could prove it was not just them, the insurance company may back down.

Andy

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

My partner was always paranoid about travel problems so we always stayed overnight in Southampton, even though we lived two hours or so along the coast in Brighton.  Although I am not particularly paranoid about this (and have moved a bit further away), I have continued to stay overnight since he died and - whenever sailing solo - always use the Holiday Inn which was always our first choice.

It would be ironic if you didn't continue to heed your partners paranoia and missed the ship...😀

Better stick to the plan..

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scriv said:

There are a couple of incidents being talked about on other forums - one is a lady who missed her cruise because of the bad delays and a different group of 9 who arrived at the port at 4 15pm, but who boarded. Are these all separate incidents or is it all getting a bit mixed up?

Just checked back, the post I referred to was from someone called Lisa who arrived with her party at 4.15 and was unable to board.

Doesnt seem any mix up here.

Andy

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It would be ironic if you didn't continue to heed your partners paranoia and missed the ship...😀

Better stick to the plan..

Andy

Indeed Andy.  For some reason that reminded me of a funny little story.  On my first solo cruise after Tony died, a friend had kindly sent a gift package that included a half bottle of Champagne.  After casting Tony's ashes from the ship, I set myself up on the Promenade deck to have the Champagne and of course raise a glass to him.  Despite having plenty of experience opening bottles of fizz, the cork shot out 🍾and hit me fair & square on the mouth!  I don't think I really believe in the "up there" but if there is, thought it must surely be Tony saying "That'll teach you for cruising without me!"

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just checked back, the post I referred to was from someone called Lisa who arrived with her party at 4.15 and was unable to board.

Doesnt seem any mix up here.

Andy

I've checked back too on several forums -  agree about Lisa's situation, but there was another group of 9 who arrived at  4 15 too, but who boarded. Lisa is hoping that their experience will help support her claim.

Edited by Scriv

4 minutes ago, Scriv said:

I've checked back too on several forums -  agree about Lisa's situation, but there was another group of 9 who arrived at  4 15 too, but who boarded. Lisa is hoping that their experience will help support her claim.

How come they managed to board at 4.15 and Lisa didn't? Something doesn't add up.

14 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Moral of the story,  book your hotel room early.  Doesn’t matter whether live north or south.

Yes. And was middle of the school summer break. Didn't stop me thinking "they stole my hotel room". 😁

3 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Maybe she arrived at the port or parked the car at 4.15. The other group were actually in the departure hall at 4.15?

Yes, maybe. I am definitely not doubting the poor lady, just was trying to decide if there were others. The lady is actually pleased to hear there maybe were others, which will help her case.

Edited by Scriv

12 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Moral of the story,  book your hotel room early.  Doesn’t matter whether live north or south.

They could put signs in their windows "northerners only",lol.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

Indeed Andy.  For some reason that reminded me of a funny little story.  On my first solo cruise after Tony died, a friend had kindly sent a gift package that included a half bottle of Champagne.  After casting Tony's ashes from the ship, I set myself up on the Promenade deck to have the Champagne and of course raise a glass to him.  Despite having plenty of experience opening bottles of fizz, the cork shot out 🍾and hit me fair & square on the mouth!  I don't think I really believe in the "up there" but if there is, thought it must surely be Tony saying "That'll teach you for cruising without me!"

Hi...that certainly made me smile ....I too don't really believe in the " up there" but after a recent very  " strange happening" to me it certainly makes one wonder

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

Don't doubt the afterlife...

That was definitely Tony smacking you in the gob!!!😀

Lovely story, we all need something to cling on to when loved ones have gone.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Yes. And was middle of the school summer break. Didn't stop me thinking "they stole my hotel room". 😁

And not even the Southampton boat show.  Was this years back? The number of hotel rooms in Southampton seems to have increased massively in the last few years. Without the cruise ships and Peppa Pig I wonder how they would survive. 

We live a couple of hours away but always now stay the night before a cruise. We do things in Southampton the day before to make a longer holiday. I have thought about staying in Newbury at a hotel I like (The Vineyard) but it still leaves half of our journey.  

Best wishes, Stephen. 

23 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

And not even the Southampton boat show.  Was this years back? The number of hotel rooms in Southampton seems to have increased massively in the last few years. Without the cruise ships and Peppa Pig I wonder how they would survive. 

We live a couple of hours away but always now stay the night before a cruise. We do things in Southampton the day before to make a longer holiday. I have thought about staying in Newbury at a hotel I like (The Vineyard) but it still leaves half of our journey.  

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Yes, it was about 15 years ago.

Funny how thing like that stick in your mind, I have a flashback everytime someone says "I only live an hour away, but..."

Where I'm from Newbury is still over halfway (timewise).

Edited by FangedRose

2 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Peppa Pig World,I had to Google that,I thought you were on a wind up,lol.

• Haha 1

Remember a couple missing the ship in Key West, they were running down the pier as the ship cast off. It was back on board at 16.30 and the ship sailed dead on 17.00 without them. Although it was a short hop back to Miami, Key West is an expensive place to stay, hope the guy had his driving license with him for the car hire home.

Thought at the time some of my fellow cruisers were a bit mean cheering and waving them goodbye.

38 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Peppa Pig World,I had to Google that,I thought you were on a wind up,lol.

We were at a Holiday Inn Express just off the motorway. As we travelled after work that evening it was literally somewhere to sleep. At breakfast I could not understand why the hotel was full of children. Every table seemed to have at least two. It was noisy, there was running around and food thrown about. I asked and it is the nearest hotel to Peppa Pig World. Apparently that is a popular  family attraction. I thought the hotel was good value for two so for s family it was a bargain. We prefer being in the centre of Southampton though. Cruisers might want to avoid this hotel. 

Which roads are mostly affected- the M27?

We are sailing in 2 weeks and can't stay overnight. We're 2.5 hours away- have done the drive last year twice for mini cruises and had no issues. I was planning on setting off around 9am even though our boarding time isn't until 3.30 to build in a good cushion (and to hopefully board early). We are booked with Penguin Parking so don't need to join the queue trying to park at the port but will need to factor in transfer time.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

24 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

We were at a Holiday Inn Express just off the motorway. As we travelled after work that evening it was literally somewhere to sleep. At breakfast I could not understand why the hotel was full of children. Every table seemed to have at least two. It was noisy, there was running around and food thrown about. I asked and it is the nearest hotel to Peppa Pig World. Apparently that is a popular  family attraction. I thought the hotel was good value for two so for s family it was a bargain. We prefer being in the centre of Southampton though. Cruisers might want to avoid this hotel. 

Could you get bacon at breakfast?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3