Tracys Crab Shack Juneau. Near The Port Or Not?

LindaMG

We have booked dinner at Tracys Crab Shack in Juneau and thought it might be pleasant to walk back to the ship afterwards but I am confused.  Google says its a 1 minute walk but the excursion details quote a 15 minute drive.

3 hours ago, LindaMG said:

We have booked dinner at Tracys Crab Shack in Juneau and thought it might be pleasant to walk back to the ship afterwards but I am confused.  Google says its a 1 minute walk but the excursion details quote a 15 minute drive.

It's going to be very easily walkable for most people.  10 minutes max.

If you book the Tracy’s Crab Shack excursion, you will be driven over to their outdoor restaurant site where you can see the original cooking shacks they used.  It’s about a mile from the ship, so you could probably still walk back to the ship.  

Google is showing you the restaurant right by the dock that you can just visit on your own.

2 minutes ago, YEG Cruizr 68 said:

If you book the Tracy’s Crab Shack excursion, you will be driven over to their outdoor restaurant site where you can see the original cooking shacks they used.  It’s about a mile from the ship, so you could probably still walk back to the ship.  

Google is showing you the restaurant right by the dock that you can just visit on your own.

There is an excursion? Wow - they are desperate (cruise lines). Hopefully not much more than the meal costs.

Edited by Coral
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Coral said:

There is an excursion? Wow - they are desperate (cruise lines). Hopefully not much more than the meal costs.

I noticed this is offered on our upcoming Grand cruise next month.  I don't understand why anyone would book an excursion - been there and Tracy's is easy to get to and I have never experienced a crowd.

Kinda of like the salmon bake - very easy to book at the dock.  

Edited by mek

So the original shack behind the library is still open?  Is this were they do the excursion? We are in Juneau with two other ships and I am trying to gauge which locations n will have lesser lines.   

The dock area has changed in the last 5 years since we were there last.  The original shack is gone, but there is a restaurant right along the boardwalk between the library and the Tramway station.  The other location is located just past downtown on the way to the bridge to Douglas Island.

I was not aware that there were two locations.  The descriptions of the excursions to Tracy's said nothing about another location   I tried to visit the venue closest to the docks at Lunch time and there was a line out the door.  No thanks.

Coral Princess did offer at their Trident Grill during lunch Tracy's Crab Shack crab cakes and they were good.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:42 AM, LindaMG said:

very easily walkable- right near the port

17 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

I checked this out since we're going soon, and found the menu:

image.png.27292e583125dc3b39d75c8e4e6777f4.png

The excursion is $59.95 and also includes a crab souvenir and a photo opp.

So it's $20 more for a crab souvenir and a photo opp? LOL.  I'd rather walk and  have another crab leg for that!  Actually, I'd rather just have 2 crab legs and skip the bisque and crab cakes.

I have to agree with Mek. We went in 2015 and ordered this combo after our dogsledding on glacier excursion. I added another crab leg to share this combo with my daughter. Since then, even after eating King crabs a few times in Seoul and Toronto, I am still craving for it. One day I will visit Alaska again for it! If I do, I will only get the king crab legs and nothing else. The bisque and crab cakes were ok but forgettable. We used cruise line shuttle back to the ship afterwards. This could be the old location though. 

Edited by AngelDisney

6 hours ago, AngelDisney said:

I have to agree with Mek. We went in 2015 and ordered this combo after our dogsledding on glacier excursion. I added another crab leg to share this combo with my daughter. Since then, even after eating King crabs a few times in Seoul and Toronto, I am still craving for it. One day I will visit Alaska again for it! If I do, I will only get the king crab legs and nothing else. The bisque and crab cakes were ok but forgettable. We used cruise line shuttle back to the ship afterwards. This could be the old location though. 

My DH and I got the same combo to share but added another bisque so we each had our own.  Was plenty of food for two as the crab leg is big!