Equinox - After Captain Kate

NickPenn

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm sure the Equinox will be just fine.  Captain Kate was only on the ship about half the time.  

What did she do the other half, swim alongside?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, 39august said:

How do you mean a "big difference"? Just his personality or obvious changes in service, staff attitude, etc?

Compared to other Captains that we have cruised with he didn't have the outgoing personality..No regular noon announcements or communication when leaving port and when he did he didn't “introduce” himself. A group of us referred to him as Captain Invisible because we didn't know his name.

Service was good and the crew attitude did not reflect that he was difficult or not “liked”. I don't need to talk to the Captain and normally don't care but this particular cruise was lacking, just not the same as sailing with Captain who makes an effort to engage the passengers and make them feel welcome.

• Like 1

I've only been on one sailing with Captain Kate.  The only real difference I noticed with her compared to almost every captain on every other ship on every line I've been on is that she is very visible around the ship, super friendly, and super personable.  Not that there was anything wrong with all the other captains, but she is just a much better PR machine than the rest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, swigso said:

I have sailed many times on celebrity and could not care less who was sailing us 

why the fuss ?

I just do not get it 

I would not book a cruise based on who is at the helm. However, when you have a Captain who is memorable for not being memorable you realize that more outgoing officers can enhance your experience.

I don't expect all Captains to be visible around the ship or greeting pax on the gangway but I do (to some extent) expect a daily informational announcement along with the person stating who they are...  

Edited by lovecruzin

You can count me as one who couldn't care less who the captain, cruise director, or officers are on the ship when I'm sailing.  I was just giving my experience when I just happened to end up a cruise where Captain Kate was at the helm.  We don't go to the captains reception and would decline an invitation to dine with officers.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are there and appreciate the job they do, I just don't need any personal interaction with them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swigso said:

I have sailed many times on celebrity and could not care less who was sailing us 

why the fuss ?

I just do not get it 

Bingo....we were on the Equinox last Feb....she seemed nice and flamboyant complete with ready made corny jokes....but, whatever (actually, the corny jokes started to grate after a while tbh).  Do I get there safely and on time?  That’s all I care about. 

• Like 6

We  had Capt Leo. Alex, Demetri, Kate and .... they have all been very good  and visible.  

The Captain is a bonus but what affects us the most is the CD.  Don’t want to mention any names but the worse for us was the female that always talked about her shoes and how busy she was the male that always mentioned his socks.   Both try to be a celebrity  and bigger that what they are instead of a CD.

if you complain to either about the entertainment, activities, or noise level they claim that they don’t have any control as it comes from the main office. if you praise something they take credit and say they are responsible  for everything except the production shows.  

This is my opinion and others may disagree.   Something for everyone.   We aren’t all vanilla. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Add me to the list of “could not care less”. As long as it’s safe and we are on time we are happy. She seems lovely but we are not really interested in all the PR that seems to have sprouted arms and legs.

• Like 2

We are among those who really don't care who the Captain is as long as we are kept safe & on time & informed.  It is always nice to have a Captain who makes his/her announcements lively & interesting, but it's really not that important to us.

But I have a question for y'all.  Are Mr Chew & I the only ones who think it's kind of juvenile or even a tad disrespectful to call the Captains "Captain First Name" rather than "Captain Last Name" ??  These are professionals who have worked long & hard to get where they are.  We have met so many people on board who think that they are very close personal friends of the captain, just because they are on a first-name basis.  So … just wondering … 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On every X cruise we have been on they refer to themselves using their first names and also introduce themselves by their first name.  Other than this is your Captain Speaking.  

Personally I also like to be called by my first name and not surname no matter how old they are or who they are.    All my relatives call me by that name and none use any prefix.  And I am glad that my parents gave me that name because everyone calls me that.   Except for my grandchildren.   And sometimes my wife 😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Captain Manetas is always called by his surname. Capt. Tasos is always called by his first name. They are both great Captains. I plan to book a cruise when Capt. Tasos is  there. Been too long since I move seen him. Equinox is in good hands!