Cruise Travel Insurance

I was actually looking at this exact exclusion yesterday with TID and didn't understand the alcohol clause.  It seems if you only have 1 glass of wine and then slip on the deck and break your ankle then you're not covered.  Seems very unfair to me, does the ship medical centre give everyone a blood alcohol test everytime someone comes in with an injury?

1 hour ago, IngFam said:

I was actually looking at this exact exclusion yesterday with TID and didn't understand the alcohol clause.  It seems if you only have 1 glass of wine and then slip on the deck and break your ankle then you're not covered.  Seems very unfair to me, does the ship medical centre give everyone a blood alcohol test everytime someone comes in with an injury?

After speaking to Insure & go regarding this...their answer was  No alcohol or you're not covered.

I then phoned 1Cover & their explanation regarding slipping or tripping was if there was a reason for you to slip , maybe water on floor then you are covered, because it was a slipping hazard.

All very tricky I think.

3 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

After speaking to Insure & go regarding this...their answer was  No alcohol or you're not covered.

I then phoned 1Cover & their explanation regarding slipping or tripping was if there was a reason for you to slip , maybe water on floor then you are covered, because it was a slipping hazard.

All very tricky I think.

I haven't heard of anyone applying it unfairly.

But they need to take into consideration as well, hence it comes down to the specifics of the situation.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I haven't heard of anyone applying it unfairly.

But they need to take into consideration as well, hence it comes down to the specifics of the situation.

True, but there's  a  big difference between one drink & having an accident or being hissed, as you cruise card would show.

11 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

True, but there's  a  big difference between one drink & having an accident or being hissed, as you cruise card would show.

And some people can be hissed on one drink, others in total control after dozens, I worked with a fellow who would drink about 20 scotches and still blow zero on the breatherlyser.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And some people can be hissed on one drink, others in total control after dozens, I worked with a fellow who would drink about 20 scotches and still blow zero on the breatherlyser.

I would be comatose or dead if I had 20 drinks & well & truly hissed by 5, so yes everybody processes booze differently.

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Was he big, like 7 foot tall and 300kg ? 😮.    20 scotches should blow at least .20%.   Lke 4 times the legal driving limit of .05% in NSW.

One of my skills in my previous life was a Breath Analysis  Operator.😎

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Was he big, like 7 foot tall and 300kg ? 😮.    20 scotches should blow at least .20%.   Lke 4 times the legal driving limit of .05% in NSW.

One of my skills in my previous life was a Breath Analysis  Operator.😎

I’d say he was big but not huge the police were dumbfounded just something strange in his metabolism

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I’d say he was big but not huge the police were dumbfounded just something strange in his metabolism

I would have given him a run for ye old 'Drive Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor"  (DUI)  then.  He would have had to have some symptoms at least, gait, breath, eyes, etc, etc.

Convicted, fined $2000 and disqualified from driving for two years your worship.🤣  No 556A or Section 10 Dismissal.🤬 Now Mr Gut, are you going to lodge an appeal on behalf of the defendant ? 🤣

Edited by NSWP

On 8/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, IngFam said:

The problem with TID is that they don’t cover for any pre existing conditions that are not on the list as being automatically covered.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I would have given him a run for ye old 'Drive Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor"  (DUI)  then.  He would have had to have some symptoms at least, gait, breath, eyes, etc, etc.

My ex was like that. 6ft tall, about 120kgs, and in 15 years I never saw him show the slightest sign of being drunk no matter how much he'd had to drink. A friend who had access to a breathalyser tested him a couple of times and he blew zero both times. Nevertheless he didn't drive when he'd been drinking.

• 3 months later...

I am actually not thread hijacking, doing it correctly.😅

As many of you know, due to my wife's serious illness I had to cancel our 3 cruises next year, Majestic Princess x 1 and Arcadia x 2, plus flight back from UK plus hotels etc.   I insured through NRMA who use Covermore Insurance.  Lodged the claim 10 days ago, with supporting medical docs, hotel/flight receipts,  No dramas, they paid out fully yesterday, takes a little bit of pressure off.

10 days to settle a reasonably large claim was quite good I thought.😎

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

As many of you know, due to my wife's serious illness I had to cancel our 3 cruises next year, Majestic Princess x 1 and Arcadia x 2, plus flight back from UK plus hotels etc.   I insured through NRMA who use Covermore Insurance.  Lodged the claim 10 days ago, with supporting medical docs, hotel/flight receipts,  No dramas, they paid out fully yesterday, takes a little bit of pressure off.

So good to hear that news. What a relief that must be for you Les!  

Leigh

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Wonderful news to help soften the blow of the ramifications after the terrible news concerning your wife's health.

My sister and her husband recently got sick and had to delay their overseas tripl They had to rebook flights and accommodation. Westpac Altitude Black CC insurance paid out without any issues. They also covered for my sisters pre existing conditions for $45.

Credit Card insurance is no different to any other kind of insurance - it depends on the particular policy you have and they’re all different. With my American Express I’m covered by Allianz and it’s very comprehensive, no different to what you’d get if you called Allianz yourself to buy insurance, it’s not an inferior product 

12 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

Credit Card insurance is no different to any other kind of insurance - it depends on the particular policy you have and they’re all different. With my American Express I’m covered by Allianz and it’s very comprehensive, no different to what you’d get if you called Allianz yourself to buy insurance, it’s not an inferior product 

When I booked this 3 month trip now cancelled, I was declined travel insurance on our ANZ Platinum CC because of my existing conditions.  The insurer was allianz. So I had to purchase it through NRMA/Covermore for $2000 for 3 months, my claim was $30,000 so money well spent.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, NSWP said:

When I booked this 3 month trip now cancelled, I was declined travel insurance on our ANZ Platinum CC because of my existing conditions.  The insurer was allianz. So I had to purchase it through NRMA/Covermore for $2000 for 3 months, my claim was $30,000 so money well spent.

Oh wow, I’m so glad Covermore came through for you. Sad you had to use it though 😞

On 12/13/2019 at 9:08 AM, NSWP said:

We have also had travel insurance declined on our ANZ Platinum CC for my husband's pre exisiting condiitions which do not and are unlikely to impact his day to day living and when we asked for an explanation received no response so now we don't even try. I am sure they have non medical people making these decisions.

It would seem a pretty good price for a 3 month holiday and am so pleased that it was settled for you so promptly and hassle free. Good luck

Pam.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, NSWP said:

Just curious did you look at an annual policy at all? We find that’s better than one off policies as were lucky enough to be travelling regularly at the moment 

I have pre existing conditions that I’ve found no other insurer prepared to cover but Insure & Go have done so (After completing a medical declaration and review by them - no physical required) with a 12 month policy that’s covers my wife and I anywhere in the world (including the US is the killer in terms of premium) with my pre existing conditions for up to 45 days at a time (not sure how they’d go with your 90 day requirement). The policy cost is around $2900 for the both of us for the year

I wouldn’t cruise or travel without travel insurance - I’m not particularly worried about losing a bag but one good medical issue would more than pay for the premium 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Just curious did you look at an annual policy at all? We find that’s better than one off policies as were lucky enough to be travelling regularly at the moment 

I have pre existing conditions that I’ve found no other insurer prepared to cover but Insure & Go have done so (After completing a medical declaration and review by them - no physical required) with a 12 month policy that’s covers my wife and I anywhere in the world (including the US is the killer in terms of premium) with my pre existing conditions for up to 45 days at a time (not sure how they’d go with your 90 day requirement). The policy cost is around $2900 for the both of us for the year

I wouldn’t cruise or travel without travel insurance - I’m not particularly worried about losing a bag but one good medical issue would more than pay for the premium 

Annual policy not applicable, max 45 days cover in each trip. Our one was 3 months, 11 Feb to 6 May, 3 cruises, hotels - land travel and airfares back from UK.   No more international travel for us now as my wife is uninsurable, having a terminal illness.  Just a couple of short road trips whilst we can.

We consider ourselves lucky in that we have been to most parts of the world and been overseas just about annually since I retired aged 55 in 2003.

So Uncle Les's advice is: If you can afford it, want to do it and are fit enough to do it...Do it !!!395547914_Tshirt.jpg.2458aafc8c15be90a46b911b04a5472d.jpg

Edited by NSWP