A Monkey In My Arms, Not On My Head

Caribbean Allan

I keep seeing photos people holding sloths, and monkeys on top of people's heads.  Is there any place where I can both hold a sloth and HOLD a monkey?  I'm not really interested in a monkey on top of my head.  I'd rather look at him while he's in my arms.  Thanks for any info! 

Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth Hangout.  We took my 90 year old MIL there last summer-the staff placed the monkey on her arm.  There were other monkeys who jumped on shoulders and heads but they can place them where ever you feel comfortable having them.  You can also hold one of the resident sloths.

Edited by LMADAMS91
  • Like 1

They may sit on you arm for a minute, but you cannot hold them.  We've gone to all of the "monkey places" in Roatan over the last 15 years.  The monkeys are always on the move.  If you have food in your hand, they may jump down on you arm for a brief time.  Monkeys do not like to be held.  If you try to hold them like a cat or dog, they will not like it and may bite to get free.  They are not animals that will just snuggle in your arms for a photo. 

It has already been mentioned, but I recommend Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout.  We bought the excursion directly through their Facebook page that included the island tour, snorkeling and the animals. But, I agree with another poster...you are probably not going to be able to hold the monkeys. Although I didn't see any sitting on top of heads, there was a curious one playing in someone's hair, but she didn't seem to mind.  The monkeys will usually just sit on your arm.  The macaws are a different story. They landed on your head.  And, holding the sloth was so cool!  It just seemed so sweet and loveable. If interested, I also recommend the snorkeling excursion they offer.  Below are two videos; one is taken from pictures of just some of the island tour, animals and snorkeling, and the other is compiled videos of the snorkeling portion of the excursion. Subscribe to KJ Travel Adventures for more videos.

Pictures made into a video of the island tour, animals, snorkeling form the Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout Excursion

https://youtu.be/VaKMLYNNaJI

Videos of snorkeling portion of Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout excursion

https://youtu.be/y35gWkjS2ho

Edited by hawkeyefan99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, hawkeyefan99 said:

It has already been mentioned, but I recommend Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout.  We bought the excursion directly through their Facebook page that included the island tour, snorkeling and the animals. But, I agree with another poster...you are probably not going to be able to hold the monkeys. Although I didn't see any sitting on top of heads, there was a curious one playing in someone's hair, but she didn't seem to mind.  The monkeys will usually just sit on your arm.  The macaws are a different story. They landed on your head.  And, holding the sloth was so cool!  It just seemed so sweet and loveable. If interested, I also recommend the snorkeling excursion they offer.  Below are two videos; one is taken from pictures of just some of the island tour, animals and snorkeling, and the other is compiled videos of the snorkeling portion of the excursion. Subscribe to KJ Travel Adventures for more videos.

Pictures made into a video of the island tour, animals, snorkeling form the Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout Excursion

Videos of snorkeling portion of Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout excursion

https://youtu.be/y35gWkjS2ho

Hawkeye....  thank you!

You bought the excursion through FB, what cruise line, and how did you get there? Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, RNsoon2beNP said:

Hawkeye....  thank you!

You bought the excursion through FB, what cruise line, and how did you get there? Thanks in advance!

We were on Carnival (but I don't think the cruise line matters) and "Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout" picked us up just outside of the port area. The first picture in the video shows you where you meet all of the locals picking up cruisers for excursions that were not bought through the ship.

When we booked directly through Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout via Facebook, I'm sure I told him the date we would be there and the cruise ship, just so they knew where to pick us up, but again, I really don't think the cruise line itself matters. They just need to know the date you will be there and where the ship is docked, which I would think they could figure out if you don't know, just by telling them the date and cruise ship. 

It is my understanding that all local excursions not associated with the ships have to stay outside of the port area. When DJ M&SH confirms your excursion with them, they will provide the details of where to meet them, which appeared to be the same place as all of the other non-ship excursions were meeting cruisers (see above video link), and they are all holding signs so you would just need to look for the sign with Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth Hangout.  DJ M&SH gave us excellent instructions on where to go and it was super easy to find them. (I had read they give good instructions and it was easy to find them on other reviews before I went, and they were right.) You can probably just follow others out of the port because most, if not all will be heading to the same place.  One thing to note: the confirmation also said to meet one hour after the ship docks, but we got off the ship right away and went to the meeting location and didn't have to wait to start the excursion. But, you could check with them during your Facebook correspondence.

Make sure you check with DJ M&SH about the different excursion packages they offer.  We did the island tour, snorkeling, and monkey/sloth/other animals, which I highly recommend, but you may prefer a different package they offer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RNsoon2beNP said:

Hawkeye....  thank you!

The tour operator (in this case Daniel Johnson) will tell you where to meet. This  will depend on which cruise line you are on and where you dock. Previous poster docked at Mahogany Bay - Royal, Celebrity and NCL will dock at Coxen Hole.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, #1TravelMom said:

They may sit on you arm for a minute, but you cannot hold them.  We've gone to all of the "monkey places" in Roatan over the last 15 years.  The monkeys are always on the move.  If you have food in your hand, they may jump down on you arm for a brief time.  Monkeys do not like to be held.  If you try to hold them like a cat or dog, they will not like it and may bite to get free.  They are not animals that will just snuggle in your arms for a photo. 

I will be going to Roatan my first time and and am a little confused about which monkey/sloth place to do. Since you have done them all could you give my your opinions and maybe pro/con of each??