Least Favorite Ship

57eric

Re:  Royal Princess' Crown Grill

I was surprised that the ship's interior architects made the connection between the Wheelhouse Bar (lovely) and the Crown Grill so open.  I know the deck plan showed a close proximity, but, I thought there would be more of a physical separation between the two.

My Crown Grill table was close to the front of the restaurant and I did enjoy the music coming from the Wheelhouse Bar.  It's quite understandable that others might not.  I also would suggest that one specifically request a table located "deeper" into the Crown Grill.

• Like 1

I'd have to add my vote to the roster of dissatisfied customers on the Island.  We had a horrible experience on that ship during a Panama Canal cruise, that pretty much corroborates all of the other complaints about the Island that have been listed on earlier postings.  The worst issue was the surly level of customer service that one encounters on that ship; it is literally unbelievable. This is an issue that can be remedied with training, though it may potentially have something to do with the reduced staff to passenger ratio. 

The increased pax density could probably also explain the dining congestion that passengers encounter in the dining rooms.  Coupled with inedible slop in the Horizon Court during dinner, it does not contribute to a happy crowd.

The other factor was the smell of sewage in the aft section that passengers are still complaining about 6 months later.  Perhaps the addition of the all the rooms was more than the ship was designed to handle. or there were some engineering oversight with the remodeling.  One would have to think that if this issue has not been remedied, there probably have not be enough complaints that have cost Princess enough to make it worthwhile to address.

In any case, it is not likely that we would think of sailing on this ship again.  It almost drove me away from Princess entirely.

Least favorite is the Island after they modified her.  The loss of the universe lounge, the additional passengers and the relocation of the gym to an inside space are all problems.

Her unmodified sister ship, the Coral is one of our favorites.

We've sailed the Island Princess twice to Alaska and loved her in entirety. Excellent service, good food, and a less crowded vibe for sure.  Our favorite ship is the Emerald Princess - we've sailed her in the Mediterranean and a West coast repo. I can't think of any Princess ship that doesn't beat a hot humid day doing yardwork in my backyard!! 

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

So, start one! ☺️

Tom

I really don't have interest in others least favorite ship. I know which ones I like & dislike the least from experience & won't go back. 

So if others don't care for a particular ship it doesn't affect my views on that ship at all.

My opinions are formed by experience not by hearsay.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, PMGS247 said:

So far in my experience, everything has exceeded expectations when walking in with CC influenced expectations.

i find many of the complaints on the forum amusing.  we truly enjoy going on ship and comparing it to the complaints and laughing.  the epic butter thread was my absolute favorite.  i even took a picture of the butter station and signage while on a kitchen tour. it does shock me sometimes what people complain about.  i guess i'm more of a self contained cruiser and do'nt expect some things that others do.

the only ship on a cruise i have taken so far i have not enjoyed was not a princess ship.  i really did not care for the garish carnival boat i was on. it was like a mardi gras nightmare with neon everywhere, and then there was the abundance of naked lady sphinxes.  i'm no prude, so it wasn't the nudity that offended me, it was th tackiness and excessive displays.

i thought the showers on the star were disappointing.  that's about the worst i can say for a princess ship so far.  i'm about to experience the royal in a month and a half.

Edited by vampiress
  • Like 2

Caribbean is our least favorite (on it now). Theater only holds about about a quarter of the passengers and they even simulcast shows in Another lounge.  Going to a

show an hour in advance is not acceptable.  Even the area around the IC is overcrowded.  Like being crammed into steerage.  Never again

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

We booked the Island before they changed her but by the time we sailed she had been dry docked and altered.  This to us is now the worst of the Princess ships and do not get me started on the lack of space in the gym which now is not much more than a cupboard so I did not use it at all throughout my cruise on her.  This year we were looking at a cruise which turned out to be on the Island and chose not to cruise rather than re-board her.  Rant over

On 8/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, antsp said:

The Island was a great ship until the bean counters slaughtered her

On 8/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, rkacruiser said:

The butchering of the aft of the ship to eliminate a public room and open deck space in order to install more staterooms, increasing the number of guests, is the reason I eliminated Island Princess from any consideration for my recently completed Alaskan cruise.  I won't consider her for any future Princess cruise for the same reasons.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:59 PM, wheezedr said:

The Island gets bad reviews because of the additional 200+ passengers that were added when she was remodeled.  That came at the cost of some public space and without any additional dining space.  That leaves the Coral as the more popular ship of this class.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, GweninTX said:

Add us to the Island haters! They RUINED her when they cut her up and added all the extra cabins! Never again!!!!

What gives then?   The Fitness Center.

I believe every Princess ship except the Island, and every other cruise ship I have been on, has the Fitness Center on an upper deck with water views.  The FC on the island is interior on a lower deck.  My favourite part about going to the gym on a cruise ship is the natural light and the views.   I checked out the FC on the Island-the place was a dead zone; a couple of people were there.  I decided that climbing the staircases was a more pleasant way to exercise.  On the plus side, you will probably have your source of equipment.

We have been on all class ships except the Sun. We booked Island to do the Panama and expected to not like it. We really didn't find it that bad and were pleasantly surprised. I think the only thing we didn't like was that the theatre didn't have an exit down at the lower level. It took a long time to get out of the theatre. (I think this is the ship...) And we only notice because we are type A!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 3:25 PM, Blondilu said:

Basically, my least favorite ship is the one I'm NOT on.  

I've said it before, I mostly can't tell them apart.  Let's see, the Royal is bigger, the Grand is older.  Was that the Star or the Ruby we were on for our last Alaska cruise?  Maybe it was the Sapphire.  I guess I could dig out all my cruise cards (yep, still have them) and check.

Is it clean, is it functional?  Does it have Trivia and great shows?  Does it have a cabin, food and is it going where I want to go for a price I can pay?  Well, alrighty then.  Count me in.

Sooooooo much this. All of this. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 5:24 PM, lx200gps said:

Regal is definitely our favorite Princess ship (along with her sister the Royal).  Disliked the Caribbean Princess  due to its claustrophobic and depressing Piazza. Can't wait for the Sky and the Enchanted. The bigger the better ;o)

I’m feel the same. Love the Regal and the Royal, hate the Caribbean Princess. I hate the way Skywalkers sits over the aft pool. instead of an open aft ocean view, I now feel claustrophobic. My friend likes it because it’s shady. Funny thing though, I’ve been on more CB sailings than any other ship. 

I have a b2b on the Sky in January and  I’m thinking I’m not going to like the retreat pool because cabins have taken away that ocean view. I love to watch the ocean.