What will be added to Explorer in drydock?

I've seen a few people that seem to think that Explorer will get a similar refurbishment to Navigator. I personally don't get why considering that Navigator was completely redesigned with the 3/4 night market in mind and in particular, the entire pool deck is designed for the Caribbean and wouldn't work in Europe.

I have noticed that she is out of service for 2 months, so it looks like her drydock is fairly extensive and certainly much better than what Voyager will be getting. I am thinking of cruising in Europe next year and Explorer from Civitavecchia is one of the options, so am intrigued. Hoping that they add solo cabins.

What do you think will be added?

6 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

and wouldn't work in Europe.

Ships move around.  She won’t be in Europe forever or even for a full season.  Slides and pool deck seemed to work for Harmony and Symphony in Europe.  It’s just the way Royal is heading...catering to the younger generation with families. 

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ships move around.  She won’t be in Europe forever or even for a full season.  Slides and pool deck seemed to work for Harmony and Symphony in Europe.  It’s just the way Royal is heading...catering to the younger generation with families. 

I have no doubt that slides will be added as Indy got them and she's in Europe, but the Navigator pool deck just screams "Caribbean" to me and seems a bit over the top unless they are trying to target a specific demographic (in Nav's case, they are clearly trying to win over the millennials with a top notch 3/4 day party ship).

EX is in Europe for all of Summer 2020 and is looking to be there for 2021 as well. With Voyager being committed to Asia/Australia and the others moving into the short cruise market, EX will probably be the token Europe based Voyager Class ship - they usually have one per year.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

27 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

I have no doubt that slides will be added as Indy got them and she's in Europe, but the Navigator pool deck just screams "Caribbean" to me and seems a bit over the top unless they are trying to target a specific demographic (in Nav's case, they are clearly trying to win over the millennials with a top notch 3/4 day party ship).

EX is in Europe for all of Summer 2020 and is looking to be there for 2021 as well. With Voyager being committed to Asia/Australia and the others moving into the short cruise market, EX will probably be the token Europe based Voyager Class ship - they usually have one per year.

She’s also spending 5 months sailing the Caribbean.  She might not get the full effect but I suspect that she will get most of it. 

5 hours ago, b&wcruiser said:

I hope they "don't" remove the sauna on this ship, or replace it with another one, accessible for all people.

I would be planning for no free saunas and no free steam rooms.  The bean counters are likely salivating about replacing the current fitness center with staterooms.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Similar (but not identical) to what has been done to other Voyager class ships.  More staterooms, less public space, carnival rides, changes to specialty restaurants.

Carnival rides??  I’m guessing your not in favor of the Amplified program or were you referring to the activities in the Diamond Lounge??  Lol

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The cruise ship refurbishment market continues to boom as Royal Caribbean International's Explorer of the Seas is scheduled for a $110 million amplification prior to her schedule of cruises in the Eastern Mediterranean in summer 2020, according to a press release.

Among the additions to the ship will be The Perfect Storm racer waterslides, Giovanni's Italian Kitchen, a fresh twist on a guest-favorite; a redesigned, resort-style poolscape with signature poolside bar The Lime & Coconut; and transformed kids and teens spaces.

Beginning May 7, 2020, the Explorer – the first amplified ship to cruise from Rome (Civitavecchia) – sets sail on 7- and 9-night itineraries to the best of Italy and the Greek isles, from Santorini to Mykonos and Crete. 

Other additions include Asian cuisine at Izumi, the popular Chops Grille American steakhouse, Boleros Latin lounge, Schooner Bar and more, including Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade, Johnny Rockets Express poolside and even a new  standalone Starbucks.

Glow-in-the-dark laser tag will debut in Studio B, the venue that doubles as an ice-skating rink for guests and shows.

The latest Royal Caribbean challenge, Clash for the Crystal City will bring two clans – the Yetis and Snowshifters – head to head in the ultimate faceoff to escape extinction 

Following her summer in Europe, the ship will sail 5- and 9-night Eastern and Southern Caribbean sailings, roundtrip from Miami, including visits to Royal Caribbean's new private island destination – Perfect Day at CocoCay.

• Thanks 1

Explorer of the Seas will become Royal Caribbean’s first ‘amplified’ ship to sail from Civitavecchia (Rome) on Eastern Mediterranean cruises in 2020.

During a docking in Brest, France, $110m will go into new thrills, tastes and sights on deck, including The Perfect Storm racer waterslides and a resort-style poolscape with signature poolside bar The Lime & Coconut. As well, the ship will get a fresh twist on Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen and transformed kids and teen spaces.

Italy and Greek Isles

Beginning May 7, 2020, Explorer will sail seven- and nine-night cruises to Italy and the Greek Isles, including Santorini, Mykonos and Crete.

The 2000-built Explorer becomes the fourth ship in the Voyager class to be transformed as part of the ‘Royal Amplified’ fleet modernization. This more than $1bn investment is updating 10 ships in four years.

Top decks

Explorer’s top decks will add The Perfect Storm duo of racing slides, Cyclone and Typhoon, with three stories of twists and turns. The reimagined resort-style poolscape brings a wider variety of seating, from hammocks and daybeds to casitas and in-pool loungers. Adults can escape to the rejuvenated Solarium.

The three-level Lime & Coconut will serve live music, vacation-mode cocktails and the best views of the action on board as well as the Mediterranean landscape from the rooftop deck.

New on the dining front

Johnny Rockets Express makes its way poolside with American favorites, even spiked shakes.

Explorer will expand its offering of restaurants, bars and lounges    with Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen, Royal Caribbean’s new take on its signature Italian restaurant. The trattoria will welcome diners to a casual setting and serve classics with a contemporary flair, from hand-tossed pizzas fresh out of the oven and made to order, to charcuterie delights, with a wide selection of wines and limoncellos from many of Italy’s well-known regions.

Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade will provide an extensive menu of bar fare and brews, sports airing across 52 TVs, arcade game classics, trivia, tournaments and pool, plus the Owner’s Box VIP area.

A standalone Starbucks will be aboard with its signature menu of drinks and pastries.

Laser tag, redesigned youth spaces

Glow-in-the-dark laser tag debuts in Studio B, the venue that doubles as an ice-skating rink. The latest Royal Caribbean challenge, ‘Clash for the Crystal City,’ will bring two clans — the Yetis and Snowshifters — head to head in a faceoff to escape extinction.

The new Adventure Ocean will come to life following a major makeover with an open, imaginative layout for whimsical and immersive activities. Kids 6 to 12 years old can choose their own adventure, while babies and 3- to 5-year-olds get specially designed spaces for each age group.

An exclusive teens hangout will sport a whole new look and features, including the latest in movies, gaming and music, and the addition of a private outdoor deck.

During its time in the Mediterranean, Explorer will be joined by the reimagined Allure of the Seas, an Oasis-class ship that will be cruising the Western Mediterranean from Barcelona.

PortMiami home in late 2020

Following its Europe season, Explorer will set course for the Caribbean. Travelers can choose from five- and nine-night Eastern and Southern Caribbean sailings, round-trip Miami, including visits to Perfect Day at CocoCay

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/refurb-interiors/explorer-of-the-seas-to-get-110m-amp-up-before-eastern-med-season/

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was very interesting that Giovanni's Table is being replaced by Giovanni's Italian Kitchen, rather than by Jamie's Italian, as was the case with the Mariner and the Navigator.  I wonder whether this means that Jamie's Italian is going to be phased put on all the ships, due to the failure of Jamie Oliver's land based restaurants in the U. K.

50 minutes ago, actuarian said:

I thought it was very interesting that Giovanni's Table is being replaced by Giovanni's Italian Kitchen, rather than by Jamie's Italian, as was the case with the Mariner and the Navigator.  I wonder whether this means that Jamie's Italian is going to be phased put on all the ships, due to the failure of Jamie Oliver's land based restaurants in the U. K.

I haven’t had the chance to try Jamie’s Italian but I like the casual look of Giovanni's Italian Kitchen.  

I also like the casual look of Giovanni's Italian Kitchen.  I do wonder where they are going to put Playmakers, I hope it doesn't replace the pub.   I expect the existing Johnny Rockets space will be used for the expanded youth areas leaving only the 'Express'.  Can't wait to see the actual deck plans.

I think the Greek isles cruise is sort of like the Caribbean for Europeans. Plus the 9 nighter has 3 sea days. (well 2 actually but I'm counting day 1 when everyone parties around the pool)  I'll be on the Explorer in 2021 if it stays in Europe. I like the updates.  We didn't care for Giovanni's when we were on the Mariner but the updated version sounds really promising

Edited by Jax129

2 hours ago, WI-Cruiser said:

I also like the casual look of Giovanni's Italian Kitchen.  I do wonder where they are going to put Playmakers, I hope it doesn't replace the pub.   I expect the existing Johnny Rockets space will be used for the expanded youth areas leaving only the 'Express'.  Can't wait to see the actual deck plans.

They'll put Playmaker's in the forward area of the promenade, replacing shops I believe. The pub will stay.

• 3 months later...