OM Embarkation Process

Daniel A

I know there is a main thread for OM questions, I tried to read through the thread but I can’t go through 847 responses in that thread in order to get the information I want.  DW & I are Platinum level in Captain’s Circle and we will be taking our first OM cruise on the Regal.  We will be travelling with family members on their first cruise ever so DW & I will not be taking advantage of our Platinum expedited boarding; rather we will stay with the family members during the whole embarkation process.  I have seen statements that having the medallion with you at embarkation expedites the boarding process. After security and check in, I am accustomed to being sent to a large waiting area where we are assigned to a group and we wait for our boarding group to be called.  After having our group get called, then there is a wait in the serpentine queue before getting the souvenir photo taken and finally boarding the ship.  All of us will have the medallions sent to us before the cruise.  Given that there have been a number of OM sailings to date there must be a wealth of knowledge about how the whole boarding process now works.  Specifically, does the OM expedite boarding and eliminate the waiting either on benches or in queue serpentines?  I can see where you won’t have to wait at the ‘check in’ line but does the OM expedite the rest of the boarding process too?

Don't see how, because the way you describe it, everyone will have a Medallion after check-in and while waiting to board.  Ship still has to be ready to board and those of us that show up early have to wait until the all-clear is given to commence boarding.  (On our recent Regal trip, we did some things in Copenhagen first and did not show up until after 1pm and basically walked right on to the ship after check-in (we live in Ontario so no mailing of Medallions to us as yet).

Edited by steelers36

Once the ship is cleared boarding starts. Those arriving at the pier with medallions in hand skip check in and go directly to the waiting area, and if the ship has been cleared board very quickly. If you arrive before the ship is cleared you will have to wait. No way around this. On a recent medallion cruise we were on board by 11am. Cabins were not ready until around 1pm. No need to wait in the line for photos. You can just walk around the photographers. We always do. 

Daniel A, here is the easiest way to answer your question. By having your ocean medallion in hand; you stop at port security with your medallion and ocean ready app and passport, and then head to the Princess lobby. If you do not have a medallion or haven't filled out the proper paperwork for one; you will have to go to a guest relations person at the counter. The ocean medallion allows you to bypass the counter; where you used to get in a line to show them your printed ticket; and made sure you have a credit card on file; etc, etc.  All that is gone.; except for those who do not have a medallion when they arrive.  Hope this helps.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I know there is a main thread for OM questions, I tried to read through the thread but I can’t go through 847 responses in that thread in order to get the information I want.  DW & I are Platinum level in Captain’s Circle and we will be taking our first OM cruise on the Regal.  We will be travelling with family members on their first cruise ever so DW & I will not be taking advantage of our Platinum expedited boarding; rather we will stay with the family members during the whole embarkation process.  I have seen statements that having the medallion with you at embarkation expedites the boarding process. After security and check in, I am accustomed to being sent to a large waiting area where we are assigned to a group and we wait for our boarding group to be called.  After having our group get called, then there is a wait in the serpentine queue before getting the souvenir photo taken and finally boarding the ship.  All of us will have the medallions sent to us before the cruise.  Given that there have been a number of OM sailings to date there must be a wealth of knowledge about how the whole boarding process now works.  Specifically, does the OM expedite boarding and eliminate the waiting either on benches or in queue serpentines?  I can see where you won’t have to wait at the ‘check in’ line but does the OM expedite the rest of the boarding process too?

Family travelling with you, regardless of status, can accompany you. We've done this twice and as recently as two weeks ago in Southampton, also when tendering. When we booked, our reservations were linked by our request though I can't be sure that made a difference.

Because medallions are only shipped within the US, we had downloaded the apps, checked-in at home and received our medallions at the terminal. Front line staff in the check-in area were issuing medallions and said they would start working as soon as we were close enough to pick up the ship's wifi.

They initially gave our family a different boarding 'number' (no priority) and quickly changed it when we reminded them we were travelling together. We immediately joined a short (moving) line and went directly through Security and onto the ship.  Maybe just lucky timing that the ship may just have been cleared and we didn't need to sit and wait.  We arrived at 11am. It took only about 35 minutes from the time we arrived at the terminal, dropped off our bags, found our way, picked up our medallions, went through security, skipped the photo line and were in our cabins.  I didn't notice a Priority waiting area.  I did notice a few other passengers who arrived before us seated in a waiting area. No mob scene.

BTW, we liked the medallions. Boarding and leaving the ship was a quick tap and go! When we walked up to a bar or customer services, they could see who we were on their screens and greeted us by name! Also loved not having to dig for a cruise card to enter our cabin. Cabin stewards knew when the cabin was vacant so we didn't need to use a Do Not Disturb sign. I don't like lanyards so only wore it getting off and on the ship. Otherwise, it was usually in my bag. Have a great cruise!

In Los Angeles, this is how it worked.  We all waited for an hour in the terminal before being able to board. We have elite status and it was an hour for Elites. Maybe it was because the Royal was a new ship to L.A. at the time.  

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Daniel A, here is the easiest way to answer your question. By having your ocean medallion in hand; you stop at port security with your medallion and ocean ready app and passport, and then head to the Princess lobby. If you do not have a medallion or haven't filled out the proper paperwork for one; you will have to go to a guest relations person at the counter. The ocean medallion allows you to bypass the counter; where you used to get in a line to show them your printed ticket; and made sure you have a credit card on file; etc, etc.  All that is gone.; except for those who do not have a medallion when they arrive.  Hope this helps.  

I’m a bit confused.  Do passengers that have Elite status get to board first or does everyone board at the same time?  When you say to the princess lobby do you mean the waiting area after you go through the security scanner? 

15 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Would it be accurate to say that if you have your medallion in hand on arrival at the terminal you no longer need to go to the check in desk where one used to get their cruise card and little map of the ship but the rest of the boarding procedure remains the same as pre OM?

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Would it be accurate to say that if you have your medallion in hand on arrival at the terminal you no longer need to go to the check in desk where one used to get their cruise card and little map of the ship but the rest of the boarding procedure remains the same as pre OM?

Yes. Direct to the waiting area.

6 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m a bit confused.  Do passengers that have Elite status get to board first or does everyone board at the same time?  When you say to the princess lobby do you mean the waiting area after you go through the security scanner? 

The procedure is that full suites, elite and a few others board 1st followed by platinum and all others in order of arrival at the pier. We found that on the Caribbean, a medallion ship, boarding goes quickly. It is almost arrive at the pier and then board. Very little waiting. Quick boarding has also been reported on these boards for other ships departing from Ft. Lauderdale. Of course, if you arrive before the ship is cleared then you will have to wait. You will also have to wait at U.S. ports as b2b'ers are processed.

• Like 2