What was your favorite cruise and why

suralottie

Every cruise has its own special memories. I really loved all my cruises on the Maasdam and the Ryndam-love the size of those ships, and very sad the Ryndam was sold, but very happy HAL kept the Maasdam and remarketed her. My cruise to Alaska on the Volendam was wonderful because I cruised with friends for the first time, and discovered a beach goddess could love glaciers! Despite being the 1st Alaska cruise of the season, the weather was amazing and I fell in love with Alaska. The highlight was a tour in Skagway with Dyea Dave himself topped off with him taking me on a private tour to Dyea for 2 hours in his Morris Minor convertible-no extra charge! But my two favorite cruises were my Panama Canal cruise on the Westerdam with the Sail away Gang where Kazu organized the most amazing tours and my 20 day South Pacific cruise on the Maasdam. The highlight of that was getting off the ship in Tahiti, taking the ferry to Moorea, and spending the night on points at the Ihg resort there! 

We were aboard the Noordam for 42 nights, sailing from San Diego to Auckland, NZ, via Hawaii, Australia, many South Seas islands.  That was an amazing experience.  We had fascinating speakers and fellow guests...and the quality of the sky and seas in the South Pacific is simply magical.  

I bring this up because others may hesitate, as I did, thinking all the sea days might make it boring. A million times no to that.  It was fabulous.

We've been fortunate enough to travel a lot and our friends always ask us which places are our favorites.  We never can come up with a definitive answer. We've been to every U.S. state at least twice and we have a beautiful country.  But since we retired (nearly 20 years ago) we've visited about 40 countries --mostly thanks to cruising.  We've enjoyed every place we've been.  But I think the stand-outs from all the cruises is Australia-New Zealand (HAL Statendam); trans-Atlantic and back to back Mediterranean (HAL Noordam); the Baltic (on Celebrity Constellation); and Norway (HAL Koningsdam)....oh, and the British Islands, and Alaska and the Caribbean..... Did I mention that we loved them all?

8 minutes ago, cartervan said:

We've been fortunate enough to travel a lot and our friends always ask us which places are our favorites.  We never can come up with a definitive answer. We've been to every U.S. state at least twice and we have a beautiful country.  But since we retired (nearly 20 years ago) we've visited about 40 countries --mostly thanks to cruising.  We've enjoyed every place we've been.  But I think the stand-outs from all the cruises is Australia-New Zealand (HAL Statendam); trans-Atlantic and back to back Mediterranean (HAL Noordam); the Baltic (on Celebrity Constellation); and Norway (HAL Koningsdam)....oh, and the British Islands, and Alaska and the Caribbean..... Did I mention that we loved them all?

Cartervan, our very first "long" cruise was the trans-Atlantic and back-to-back Med on the Noordam.  (I think 32 or 34 days.)  A very energetic Mark Pells was hotel director back then; corporate purse strings weren't too tight, and the weather was fine.  It was wonderful.  Fun to hear someone else remember that Noordam route as a highlight.  😊

Edited by AncientWanderer