Cruise Critic Community
sail7seas

Thank You Mariner Society

3 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

We will get our 2nd one next year (luckily on the way back to the US not on the way to Europe) and not sure if we will bring it home or not.

Then it might be better not to accept the medallion in the first place, so it can be given to someone who wants it. Leaving it behind just results in it being tossed. Save HAL some money by not taking it, and save some space in a landfill somewhere. 
Just notify the Front Desk that you would prefer not to be recognized when the reception is held. 

5 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

We are with you on the medallions.   They have no meaning for us.  Like you said it just isn’t our thing.  We’ve received one so far and left it on the ship for them to reuse if they choose.   We will get our 2nd one next year (luckily on the way back to the US not on the way to Europe) and not sure if we will bring it home or not.  We usually give our tiles away to other passengers while on board but kept the last ones to use as coasters.  

I’m happy to hear the medallions are meaningful to others. 

No Problem..............  Rain on our parade, if you wish. 

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

Then it might be better not to accept the medallion in the first place, so it can be given to someone who wants it. Leaving it behind just results in it being tossed. Save HAL some money by not taking it, and save some space in a landfill somewhere. 
Just notify the Front Desk that you would prefer not to be recognized when the reception is held. 

The medallion wasn’t presented to us, it was left on our bed in the room with a note to bring it to the reception.  As I said earlier, I’m happy they mean something to others.

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

No Problem..............  Rain on our parade, if you wish. 

Wasn’t intending to rain on your parade, I was just agreeing with the other person who isn’t excited about the medallions.  Everyone is different and I have no problem with the medallion meaning something to you or other people.  I found it interesting reading this thread to see why they mean something to some people and thought it was neat that people tie memories from the cruises to the medallions.  

We will spend our 100th night on a Dam ship as we embark on Monday on the Veendam.

3 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

We will spend our 100th night on a Dam ship as we embark on Monday on the Veendam.

Congratulations!  Go to the Mariner lunch (actually the reception before the lunch), and you will get you medallion.

18 hours ago, KirkNC said:

lately we have started skipping Mainer lunches as well, food is really nothing special. 

You may want to reconsider this practice.  The menu has improved and the food is very good.  Of course,  the experience may depend who the culinary gurus are on one's ship as well as the Hotel Director.

18 hours ago, KirkNC said:

lately we have started skipping Mainer lunches as well, food is really nothing special. 

You may want to reconsider this practice.  The menu has improved and the food is very good.  Of course,  the experience may depend who the culinary gurus are on one's ship as well as the Hotel Director.

Platinum Medallion!!  Yes this 3 star lady is green with envy.  With retirement coming soon hope to keep enjoying working my way up.  Would anyone share a photo of what they look like?   Curious..  much thanks..

8 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

Platinum Medallion!!  Yes this 3 star lady is green with envy.  With retirement coming soon hope to keep enjoying working my way up.  Would anyone share a photo of what they look like?   Curious..  much thanks..

I think @SilvertoGold and @RuthC are Platinum. Maybe one of them could post a pic

I don't have anything to take a picture with. I don't own a camera, and my phone doesn't do tricks. Sorry. 
But If I had a picture I certainly would post it. Perhaps someone else will? 

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

The medallion wasn’t presented to us, it was left on our bed in the room with a note to bring it to the reception.

If you didn't turn it in to the Front Office, or specifically ask your steward to return it to stock, it was trashed. That would have been a shame. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

I think @SilvertoGold and @RuthC are Platinum. Maybe one of them could post a pic

It is packed and I can't even begin to think where exactly!  Two kinds now: one, well, platinum coloured, the other mostly white. Pins the same.  The one defining feature that is the ribbon is white, not blue.

Edited by SilvertoGold

22 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Two kinds now: one, well, platinum coloured, the other mostly white. Pins the same.  The one defining feature that is the ribbon is white, not blue.

The platinum colored one is the 'silver' medallion, on a blue ribbon. The one with white highlighting on 'platinum' is the platinum medallion. It also has a bar across the bottom noting 500 days. It's on a white ribbon. 

I still prefer the orange and aqua striped ribbons on the previous style medallions. 

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

It also has a bar across the bottom noting 500 days.

Oops. Typo, sorry. The bar says 700 days, of course, since it represents 700 'heads in beds' days. 

Posted (edited)

Ruth

There are two 700 day medallions out.  We have both: when presented we got one of each, and didn't notice until we got home.  Since then we never think to ask for matching ones on the ships. May do that and see what the deal is.  Old and new.  The do both have the 700 day bar on the bottom.

Edited by SilvertoGold

15 hours ago, RuthC said:

The platinum colored one is the 'silver' medallion, on a blue ribbon. The one with white highlighting on 'platinum' is the platinum medallion. It also has a bar across the bottom noting 500 days. It's on a white ribbon. 

I still prefer the orange and aqua striped ribbons on the previous style medallions. 

I read you previous post and remembered Able, Cadet, and Grand Mariner levels. Brought a smile to my face. Thanks!

On 8/21/2019 at 2:17 PM, sail7seas said:

WHAT   a great question. 🙂  I  am so happy to say i t is  the 'old'  Traditional Logo

I wrote a thank you e-mail and sent t i to Mariners Society@ holland amer.ica.com  but sadly it bounced back  to me.   I did not wish  to send it t hrough the   contact us link on the HAL site.   I much pefer  to address it individually  but  Gerald Brnhoft's address  is the only name I  now kn w  at Mariners. I used to know many   but that was then.   I think it best to  not bother him with this .  I wish I knew  the address of the  lady who helped    me

image.png.9e296669369b8b494df5d9c324c8deca.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

I'm so glad you got the old design. I know how much you dislike the new one. I got my 100-day medal not long after the design changed and was hoping for the old design, but it's the new one. I'm sure they give out enough bronze medallions that the old design ran out quickly. But there aren't as many platinums given out, so they probably haven't needed to order new ones. 

Here's the new one and the old one, side by side (as snatched from eBay).

I prefer the old one ... mine is an older one ... but the new one looks nice, too.

s-l225-1.jpg

s-l225.jpg

19 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

I think KK might also  be platinum  ( not sure though).

I would happily post a photo  of the   medallion   If I knew how but sadly, I have no clue  Sorry.

Platinum medallions are on a white ribbon while the other levels  hang  on a HAL blue ribbon. 

image.png.0ecfa775c2f97d10be019196768f81fc.png

sail.noordam@gmail. com

5 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I would happily post a photo  of the   medallion   If I knew how but sadly, I have no clue  Sorry.

I finally figured out how to do it easier than in post #41:

DSCN7615.thumb.JPG.22297a9d5b7fdf1ee93dc8caf87fe62f.JPG

Posted (edited)

We were presented our Platinum while sailing on nieuw Amsterdam.  That was GREAT fun  as we were sailing with Margaret Binnendyk  that cruise (  She had retired not that long before).

Well, gee that is about as "Mariner Society as it gets. 

image.png.83c2a6f236ff241489db844c1038c9cb.png

Edited by sail7seas