LUGGAGE DROP OFF AT PIER

arl_nocaps

what does everyone do with their carry on bags ?  yes we check the big bag but have not had luck getting the smaller carry-on bags brought

to our cabin until quite late which causes a little anxiety.  so--do we just drag them around until our cabin is ready ?  not sure what is best.

insignia smaller --could be easier --any thoughts ??

arl_nocaps

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I usually have  valuables /meds  in my carry on so it stays with me

How big is your carry on?

I have one similar in size   to this or  a tote bag

image.png.8c1d588b48eccf69fdb9b6f48c3ed815.png

Is that the Lucas bag from ebags?  If so, I love it!  Have been using it for a couple of years now.  Best carry on I've ever used.  And it really does fit under an airplane seat if it must.

1 hour ago, arl_nocaps said:

usual 22  inch   not huge --have 2  --

In general, full 22" bags are far too big for an international carry-on (i.e., weight if full).

Our Oceania cruises are, minimally, several weeks to more than a month (plus pre/post cruise land visits.  However, we pack for 10 day "laundry segments"

Our checked bags are 29" "Travel Pros" that can fit in most town car trunks (for transfers) and just make it under Oceania beds for storage.

Our carry-ons are small under-seat sized Travel Pros, which hold valuables/electronics/meds and one night emergency toiletries/"all purpose" change of clothing.

Thus, the carry-ins are easy to keep with us (and out of the way of other cruisers) while we wait for cabin availability on embarkation day. They also allow for stowage (atop them) of collapsible six pack wine carriers we bring with us for local pre-cruise purchases.

IMO, get small carry-ons.

• Like 3

Most people have their carry-on bags with them in Waves at lunchtime.  Makes for some maneuvering to get to tables.  

Not really a big deal, in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

IMO, it is always a good idea to keep your carryons close up to the moment you enter your room. Crooks take cruises too and know all about carryons. We have seen any number of problems because the bag was stolen at the airport, maybe at the port, maybe, on the ship, checked at last minute and lost, disappeared into thin air, and so on. We have also observed several unhappy travelers who never had carryons, and whose checked bags were lost.

Mary

• Like 1

Most people that check their bags  at the front of the terminal hope it makes it the 200 ft to the ship

We had an issue in Miami last time we  boarded there

Checked our bags with the porters ..we had locks on them

When we finally got the bags one lock was cut off & the other was in the process of being cut off  but I guess the culprit was disturbed

I choose to lock my bag & if  anyone has a problem with that  then they should page us on the ship & we gladly open it for inspection

I doubt it was a legal  inspection  though

I reported it to reception  but it fell on deaf ears

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I choose to lock my bag & if  anyone has a problem with that  then they should page us on the ship & we gladly open it for inspection

I would not recommend this.

Customs Inspectors don't take the time to page people they just cut the bag open. 

In other words, you were lucky that it was just the lock which was cut off.  

20 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I would not recommend this.

Customs Inspectors don't take the time to page people they just cut the bag open. 

In other words, you were lucky that it was just the lock which was cut off.  

I doubt it was an inspector  or they would have cut both locks off

Who ever did it used a Dremel like  tool  not the usual tool for  customs inspectors

The one case they had started to saw through the lock but did not continue for whatever reason

If it was customs  why would they just not continue to saw it off ???

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I doubt it was an inspector  or they would have cut both locks off

Who ever did it used a Dremel like  tool  not the usual tool for  customs inspectors

The one case they had started to saw through the lock but did not continue for whatever reason

If it was customs  why would they just not continue to saw it off ???

My guess would be that they were able to open the bag sufficiently without cutting the second lock off, but of course I cannot see your luggage so I don't  KNOW.

FWIW I have seen Customs Inspectors using motorized cutters in Miami.  

52 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

My guess would be that they were able to open the bag sufficiently without cutting the second lock off, but of course I cannot see your luggage so I don't  KNOW.

FWIW I have seen Customs Inspectors using motorized cutters in Miami.  

Jim they started to cut the lock

maybe they used the pen trick  i do not know 

no note in either bag  but maybe that is only at airports

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Most people that check their bags  at the front of the terminal hope it makes it the 200 ft to the ship

When we finally got the bags one lock was cut off & the other was in the process of being cut off  but I guess the culprit was disturbed

I make it a point to only pack clothes, shoes and things I won't mind if they go missing in my bags. Anything else stays with me as carryon.

20 minutes ago, AtA said:

I make it a point to only pack clothes, shoes and things I won't mind if they go missing in my bags. Anything else stays with me as carryon.

Isn't that true for flying also?

14 minutes ago, AtA said:

Absolutely!

Back in the day, Bob traveled, we estimated from 30-85% per year, domestic and international.  He never had a bag go awry.  We take the usual precautions but we're not paranoid.  And, yes, I'd be sad if my clothes disappeared 🙂

On 8/21/2019 at 1:24 PM, LHT28 said:

I think you are correct in your analysis.  But I'm confused by folks who refer to "Customs" inspection.  On outbound travel,  isn't it TSA who does the inspections, not Customs, and if you have a TSA-approved lock, it has a key.

Edited by 1985rz1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Fortunately the only time we've had a bag go missing was on the way home, knock on wood. If they have to go missing I'd much rather have that than on the front end. 

But did it show up again?  After how long?  We had a bag miss for maybe eight hours once but then it was delivered to us.

14 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think you are correct in your analysis.  But I'm confused by folks who refer to "Customs" inspection.  On outbound travel,  isn't it TSA who does the inspections, not Customs, and if you have a TSA-approved lock, it has a key.

Thanks for saying this.  I also thought that it was TSA rather than Customs who does this.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Thanks for saying this.  I also thought that it was TSA rather than Customs who does this.

It can only have been your innate shyness which prevented your commenting on the difference, yourself. 

🤣

13 hours ago, AtA said:

Absolutely!

Here in the (dis) U.K we have customs approved locks, which means customs are able to open them with any bother.

Leaving from Southhampton  ( no flying for us) a couple of years back one of our big suitecases didn't make it to the room I saw it go onto the porters trolly. I went to the front desk where they were completely disinterested. We were running round the decks to see if we could see it....................back to the front desk...................no mam!  back running round again as the ship was ready to sail . I stood at the front desk and refused to leave until it was found. They sent people out "looking" I finally found it along with three others in a large room just off one of the corridors.  Relieved, but lived!

Jxxx

7 hours ago, clo said:

But did it show up again?  After how long?  We had a bag miss for maybe eight hours once but then it was delivered to us.

Yeah, it wasn't permanently missing. It was delivered to our house the next day. I don't know what that cost them but I live about a hour and half from the airport.