Obtaining Australian & NZ $$s

Ombud

Where would you advise getting money in Melbourne? I'll be there 3 days before my cruise. Although I'll pay for my hotel (Doubletree on Flinders), Starbucks, and transit pass with my Visa card I will need walking around money and lite suppers. Which ATMs permit nonmembers to withdraw funds?

Also I lost the post with everyone's top 3 Melbourne sites. I recall Victoria Market, free tram in CBD .... I won't drive if that matters

Most bank ATMs will accept most cards. Usually your card will be assiciated with something like Visa or Mastercard, even if it's a debit card, and those are widely accepted. There are ATMs everywhere - there is a Commonwealth Bank just along Flinder St from your hotel which will probably have an ATM, or just ask the concierge.

You will probably find that you won't need much cash as most places will take cards. 

As a Melbournian, my favourite attractions are: the laneways and arcades in the central business district where you will find some great cafes and restaurants and street art, Southbank - wonderful to walk along the river (on the opposite side to where you are staying), St Kilda - great cafes and cake shops (Acland Street), the beautiful gardens and parks within easy walking distance of your hotel and Melbourne Zoo just to mention a few. Further out of town is Phillip Island where you will find the fairy penguins, The Great Ocean Road to the west, the Mornington Peninsula and the Yarra Valley.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne.

Leigh

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Where would you advise getting money in Melbourne? I'll be there 3 days before my cruise. Although I'll pay for my hotel (Doubletree on Flinders), Starbucks, and transit pass with my Visa card I will need walking around money and lite suppers. Which ATMs permit nonmembers to withdraw funds?

Also I lost the post with everyone's top 3 Melbourne sites. I recall Victoria Market, free tram in CBD .... I won't drive if that matters

Bank ATMS,you should see a symbol of your card.

Victoria markets  and in the botanical gardens is captain Cooks house.It was bought brick by brick from England.Very relaxing.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Bank ATMS,you should see a symbol of your card.

Victoria markets  and in the botanical gardens is captain Cooks house.It was bought brick by brick from England.Very relaxing.

Chiliburn,  Cook's  Cottage  is in the Fitzroy Gardens not the Botanical Gardens. Also it is not called Captain Cook's Cottage as it was built by his parents ten years after he left England and never lived there. It was brought to Melbourne in the 1930s by Sir Russell Grimwade because of its connection to James Cook's family. It is certainly an interesting cottage to visit, I remember the first time I saw it, I was astounded that it was so small. 

Leigh

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

Chiliburn,  Cook's  Cottage  is in the Fitzroy Gardens not the Botanical Gardens. Also it is not called Captain Cook's Cottage as it was built by his parents ten years after he left England and never lived there. It was brought to Melbourne in the 1930s by Sir Russell Grimwade because of its connection to James Cook's family. It is certainly an interesting cottage to visit, I remember the first time I saw it, I was astounded that it was so small. 

Leigh

Yeah 

Melbourne has cooks house and Sydney has the opera house.

6 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

Don't most places charge a fee to use a card? Is it only certain places or pretty much everywhere?

In Australia most businesses likes cafes, bars, pubs, supermarkets etc do not charge a fee for card transactions - we just tap or input PIN - no surcharge or fee.

Others (hotels, rental cars, airlines etc) will charge a cc fee of 1.5-3% depending on the business &/or card - Amex cards will often attract a fee of say 3% as they charge a high merchant fee. So you may find your charges at hotel will have a cc fee if you choose to settle your account that way, but they are required to advise you before you pay.

Of course, your card issuer/bank may charge you a transaction fee of your card is not an Aussie one, but you would have to pay fees to get A$ to pay in cash in the first place.

Your greenbacks will go a long way here with current exchange rates 🙂 

Note: give Starbucks a miss - we have real coffee in Australia, especially in Melbourne 🙂

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Note: give Starbucks a miss - we have real coffee in Australia, especially in Melbourne 🙂

What's your favorite one? I only drink long blacks (ok, sometimes with real cream) and a lot of coffee shops here add sugar. I don't want that even in a latte

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

What's your favorite one? I only drink long blacks (ok, sometimes with real cream) and a lot of coffee shops here add sugar. I don't want that even in a latte

You’ll be asked if you want Sugar. Or order “Long black, no sugar” or whatever

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Most coffee aficionados will have a favourite  ''local'' for their coffees, near their home or work. Most of the chain coffee stores have reasonable coffee. This includes Coffee Club, Gloria Jeans, even McCafe in MacDonalds - I travel a lot for business and am always on the lookout for a place where I can access a toilet & get a coffee.

It does depend on the brand of coffee they use & the skill of the barista.

I judge my flat white based on the first sip - if it tastes good as-is then it's good. If not & I need to add sugar, not so good.

In Australia, they will never add sugar unless you ask for it. In NZ, for a cappuccino, they will ask if you want chocolate, or cinnamon, sprinkled on it 😮 

56 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Most coffee aficionados will have a favourite  ''local'' for their coffees, near their home or work. Most of the chain coffee stores have reasonable coffee. This includes Coffee Club, Gloria Jeans, even McCafe in MacDonalds - I travel a lot for business and am always on the lookout for a place where I can access a toilet & get a coffee.

It does depend on the brand of coffee they use & the skill of the barista.

I judge my flat white based on the first sip - if it tastes good as-is then it's good. If not & I need to add sugar, not so good.

In Australia, they will never add sugar unless you ask for it. In NZ, for a cappuccino, they will ask if you want chocolate, or cinnamon, sprinkled on it 😮 

The skill of the barista is very important to a good coffee. There are so many cafes and coffee shops that serve really good coffee in Melbourne. 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Ordering for Mrs Gut gets complicated...

Chai Latte on Soy extra hot, no sweetener, double strength....

I tend to order chai lattes at the moment, as coffee is not agreeing with me. I order extra hot, skinny, spice chai latte.

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

And cooks cottage is probably more enjoyable,lovely gardens and from memory there’s a large greenhouse near by ?or atrium?

Yes there is quite a large conservatory with magnificent floral displays which change four or five times a year. My son in law’s twin brother was married there. 

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

Yes there is quite a large conservatory with magnificent floral displays which change four or five times a year. My son in law’s twin brother was married there. 

Leigh

And for the op ,catch a tram ? To where?

Trams are great in Melbourne.

47 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

And for the op ,catch a tram ? To where?

Trams are great in Melbourne.

The No 75 tram goes along Flinders Street and will drop the OP off at Fitzroy Gardens in Wellington Parade, at the southern end of the gardens.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

The No 75 tram goes along Flinders Street and will drop the OP off at Fitzroy Gardens in Wellington Parade, at the southern end of the gardens.

Sounds lovely! I'm adding to the myki card so that I can make use of the trams. I know 1 is free but the others will charge and I need it to go from the airport to Flinders St & Flinders St to pier

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Sounds lovely! I'm adding to the myki card so that I can make use of the trams. I know 1 is free but the others will charge and I need it to go from the airport to Flinders St & Flinders St to pier

There is no direct public transport from the airport to the city and certainly not a tram. The Skybus,  taxis and Uber plus privately organised transport is the only way. 

Leigh

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

There is no direct public transport from the airport to the city and certainly not a tram. The Skybus,  taxis and Uber plus privately organised transport is the only way. 

Leigh

Maybe just uber. It'll be after a long flight and although there won't be a language barrier I will be tired