Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
kentchris

Swimming in the Rhine in Basel

That looks like a lot more fun and more than a little cleaner than the first time we saw something like that... on the Yangtze in China about a day or so below the 3 Gorges Damn. They were swimming across the river and we couldn't believe it.

My wife and I have actually been in Basel and seen a local (we presumed it was a local) swimming in the river. It was freezing and the river was flowing extremely fast. All he had on was bathers and goggles. We could not believe anybody would swim in the river and we don't know where he started from, but we watched him come and go under the bridge we were standing on and then swim over to the edge of the river downstream with the current. 

You would have to be a very confident swimmer to swim in the Rhine. I regard myself as a competent and confident swimmer, having swam competitively for 40+ years and there is no way I would swim in the river. It was very dangerous when we were there. 

image.png.dbe83c4d1535f0c725014cb9d964d503.png

Hi, I can not recommend to swim in the Rhine River in Basel, not can I to do so in any other river, unless you find a secured and managed bath and swim zone. This summer the casualties reach the hundreds. Currents, caused by the river flow and ships - way too dangerous.