Good Dinner Food Selection???

Bo1953

Hello all,

This topic just hit me after reading a few reviews here on the RC board....

Euro sailings, I Am vegan, who can recommend good lines for this?

Steamed, boiled and/or grilled vegetables constantly every night is not my desire for six to nine (6-9) nights while sailing... LOL

TIA for your thoughts and input on this...

bon appetite and bon voyage

We were on Uniworld Castles on the Rhine and were seated with a vegetarian couple and were chatting about the food.

During the cruise Uniworld wanted to know how everyone was enjoying the cruise and if there were any questions or suggestion.  The husband mentioned that the "veggie" options were a bit "meh" and from that night on the chef made a special, lovely vegetarian dinner for them.

So if ask, you (hopefully) will receive!

• Thanks 1

Hi Bo, I would think most lines would be quite accomadating when it comes to food these days. So many variables  in 2019. Especially with a river cruise which has way less guests. WAY more than just steamed veggies.

• Thanks 1

My bad, I did read two (2) and there were only two reviews about Viking's vegan offerings from 2018...

I know better than accepting just two (2) bad reviews... especially with a few other things thrown in the reviews.

I will go with the knowledge that most RC's has great food and my only consideration will be on tours and eating off the ship, for the most part.

Yet with advance notice I will trust that most places will be able to accommodate...

Most will have *vegetarian* dishes each night on their menu, however to be vegan, you may have to discuss with the chef to ensure you are getting your requirements.  I think food is subjective, and also very much depends on the chef onboard....I've seen good and bad meal reviews from almost every line.

• Thanks 1

Problem is that many confuse vegetarian and vegan. While many menus will have a vegetarian option it may contain ingredients such as dairy that are not part of a vegan diet. Perhaps the OP can call a few cruise lines and ask about vegan options before proceeding. Hopefully there will be replies to this post with personal experience advice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your input...

I think my best approach will be to find sailing(s) which will fit our desire, then take on my food issue with the chosen line.

No real need to fret over an issue, which may not be an issue!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you all for your input...

I think my best approach will be to find sailing(s) which will fit our desire, then take on my food issue with the chosen line.

No real need to fret over an issue, which may not be an issue!

Bo,

Click on link below:

https://www.travelagewest.com/Travel/River-Cruise/Top-4-River-Cruise-Lines-for-Vegetarians

The title says vegetarian, but vegan options are discussed, especially on AMA.  Given that you're a Celebrity ocean cruiser, I think AMA or Uniworld would be a good fit for you. 

As you said, bon appetite and bon voyage!

Roz

• Thanks 1

We sailed on Uniworld in 2015, and I was watching my weight very carefully at the time, and asked if I could have grilled chicken and steamed vegetables for lunch (the vegetables on the buffet had butter/oil on them).  They prepared it with no problem, and I requested it the second day.  The third day, the hotel manager came to me with great concern that I'd eaten the same thing for lunch two days in a row, and what else could they prepare for me?  I explained I was fine with what I had selected.  Later in the dining room, the dining room manager came to me as well.  So they are willing to accommodate any special needs.

I also had noted pre-cruise that I have a seafood intolerance, and was eating low fat, and every night the waiter went over the menu with me and made recommendations.

• Thanks 1

I also think that Crystal would do a good job. I know vegan is different than vegetarian. Crystal had their own vegetarian menu each night and I am sure they could do vegan well. A friend is vegan and has sailed Crystal Ocean with success. There is a certain food that I do not like and I felt like it was shared with the entire staff so later when I asked someone I didn't know about the soup of the day - they informed me I would like it. I kept wondering how the heck he knew this. 

• Thanks 1

I’m going to be honest here. I think you should have your travel agent contact the lines you are interested in and find out exactly how they will accomodate your Vegan lifestyle before deciding on a brand. 

The galley on a river vessel is teeny tiny. The can carry just so much. Plus some excursions include meals. 

You might have to go with a luxury line because these brands are used to meeting the needs of their clients and may be more well equipped.  I’m thinking if you inform the cruise line of your “special needs” before you arrive they will accommodate you. But you want to be able to make an informed choice. Jmo

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:22 PM, Bo1953 said:

Hello all,

This topic just hit me after reading a few reviews here on the RC board....

Euro sailings, I Am vegan, who can recommend good lines for this?

Steamed, boiled and/or grilled vegetables constantly every night is not my desire for six to nine (6-9) nights while sailing... LOL

TIA for your thoughts and input on this...

My husband is also a Vegan. We are taking our first river cruise on Viking in 3 weeks, so I can let you know how it goes with them. We have informed them that he is Vegan and will follow up on board. 

As an aside, we have sailed with Crystal and they were very good at accommodating his diet.

Nancy

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’m going to be honest here. I think you should have your travel agent contact the lines you are interested in and find out exactly how they will accomodate your Vegan lifestyle before deciding on a brand. 

The galley on a river vessel is teeny tiny. The can carry just so much. Plus some excursions include meals. 

You might have to go with a luxury line because these brands are used to meeting the needs of their clients and may be more well equipped.  I’m thinking if you inform the cruise line of your “special needs” before you arrive they will accommodate you. But you want to be able to make an informed choice. Jmo

g - ultimately I will have our TA in the mix, yet I Am the type of traveler who wants to know as much as possible up front before contacting my TA... event to the point having contacted the lines in advance about catering to vegans and sometimes actually calling to get a real feel as to if they really can do it and to what degree....

Yes, I now realize the galleys on RC's are small and hope they have enough provisions which can be used for non-vegan meals will abound, yet it is ultimately the inventiveness of the chef that pulls it off, IMO.

Given we are likely to be in a different port everyday, I can pre-scout out restaurants and/or groceries in advance to plan for my dinner that night... LOL

Regardless, thank you for your input...

6 minutes ago, NJBeaglemom said:

As an aside, we have sailed with Crystal and they were very good at accommodating his diet.

Nancy

As pointed out by @Got2Cruise,  what can be done in a river cruise galley isn't the same as what can be done on the ocean. I don't think that your Crystal ocean experience necessarily would be the same even on Crystal river.

3 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

As pointed out by @Got2Cruise,  what can be done in a river cruise galley isn't the same as what can be done on the ocean. I don't think that your Crystal ocean experience necessarily would be the same even on Crystal river.

g - I believe that nj believes the dining experience will translate, to a great degree, to C's RC's... overall so her husband and other vegans will not have issues....

Thank you, bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I didn't say it would be.  I just said I found them accommodating and that may translate to their river cruises as well and would be worth investigating. 

9 hours ago, Coral said:

There is a certain food that I do not like and I felt like it was shared with the entire staff so later when I asked someone I didn't know about the soup of the day - they informed me I would like it. I kept wondering how the heck he knew this. 

Had the same experience with Avalon...they would bring my food and make sure that I knew the ingredients I didnt' care for were not included.  It almost turned into a joke, as when I would order and say please skip the "whatever", they would say "already done" with a big smile.  Also, whenever we would try something new, they would come back and make sure we did like it, and let us know we could order something else if we didn't.  

Bo, I'm sure the lines you are looking are can handle vegan as well as vegetarian, it's wise to check though (you can always try messaging their facebook pages or twitter accounts), as I know that Avalon and most of the lines I have heard others talk about  go out of their way to accommodate your preferences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1