Airline-Uber Lyft questions

AmyJA

We have traveled with mom’s NOVA transfer chair for almost two years.  We gate check it with no problem…so far.

She now has a walker also.  Can you take both and gate check them both on an airplane?

Also, we have always preordered our transportation.  But can we do Uber or Lyft without running into a car that will not accommodate her chair.  Folds up and fits fine in my Honda Civic.  

It is my understanding both can be gate checked at no charge.    

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/wheelchairs-and-other-assistive-devices

Uber lets you choose what type of vehicle and availability depends on where you are.   You can go to their website and see what they offer for your destination.   Check this link:   https://www.uber.com/global/en/

My husband also has a NOVA transfer chair and we typically use a taxi.   It fits into quite small trunks (taking the foot rests off) and the walker can be in the car. 

21 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/wheelchairs-and-other-assistive-devices

Uber lets you choose what type of vehicle and availability depends on where you are.   You can go to their website and see what they offer for your destination.   Check this link:   https://www.uber.com/global/en/

Thanks a bunch for the links Kokopelli.

Depending on where you're catching your ride, if it's from an airport you might check the taxi prices vs Uber.   At some airports the prices are very similar and the taxis are all lined up waiting.   Any many airports have fixed taxi rates from the pier to the airport or vice versa.  There usually is someone in charge of the taxis and they wave the next one in line to come forward.   If you need a larger taxi, they can find one of those in line for you, too.  

Thanks Koko...We are experienced with the whole wheelchair at an airport thingy. Just not with a walker in addition. :classic_biggrin:  (travel a few times a year)

And not so much experience with Uber and Lift.  When I was in Seattle for business the taxi was less then Uber.  And we have NO experience with ordering either with the wheelchair.  I have a picture in my head of a little electric car pulling up....haha. 

Now that I think about it, they are picking up from an airport, so they should have room.

I just wondered if Uber or Lift has something on their APP that you can indicate that you have a foldup chair.

We have never used Uber but will be using it next month with the transport chair.    We plan on ordering a larger vehicle just to play it safe.   So if you order a little larger Uber car you should be fine.  

If you have the walker too the worst case scenario would be you'd have to hold it on your lap.  But they can probably put it in the passenger front seat.    You should be fine.  Just order a larger Uber to cover all the bases.