What do you recommend at Canaletto's

racnwdow

We recently had a nice dinner at Canaletto.  The "new" menu presents things a little differently than we expected, so our server suggested we request pasta alongside our order of the veal marsala.  We enjoyed our meal of veal and spaghetti very much and appreciated our server's suggestion.

• Like 1

Do you like Italian cuisine?     Is it your favorite ?    Have you ever eaten at Olive Garden or Romano Grill and loved it?       That is the level of the cooking.... Garlic/oil/cheese/pasta/Bread  They have no idea how to cook pasta and serve it other than dump stuff on  it

If you love the cuisine at those places  you might like it.     If you expect more,  then it aint happening  

I have been very disappointed...  I too got a free dinner... I threw it away  ( gave it to someone)    

Edited by Hawaiidan

To be honest, I don't care for Canaletto.  We received a freebie on our last cruise (Zuiderdam) in April/May, so gave it another try.  When I saw sea bass on the menu I got excited.  When the food was put down in front of me I was extremely disappointed by just looking at it.  First off, this was supposedly a large plate to share, and it was miniscule and would have been better served as an appetizer in the MDR.  Secondly (and most importantly) it was NOT sea bass.  This really irked me.

If we are gifted another meal in Canaletto in the future, we'll pass with no regrets!

• Like 1

My husband and I ate at Canaletto last August on the ms Amsterdam. The menu has changed since last August, but here is a sample of what we had. 

First we shared bread with oil and balsamic and the chef sent out a bruschetta sampler, if we recall correctly it was pumpkin and tomato. 

7D56434B-0B4B-46D9-ADA8-3B0A46C0DC0A.thumb.jpeg.a1da9f9cf3cdc07cbee9338497ae4aa7.jpeg

47DCF4D9-F39F-4922-AC4B-066D7CFA763D.thumb.jpeg.5a34cff76c20799be665f54ff229486e.jpeg

We ordered the lasagna bolognese and the potato gnocchi (no longer on the current menu).

617E6581-3BD4-4743-95DC-A21EE47AB7AC.thumb.jpeg.9bd7451bc1d7ffb98137947a537e66c1.jpeg

The lasagna was okay, but we would consider ordering other items if we were to dine in Canaletto again. See our recommendations towards the end of the post. 

B38B697C-1509-40DD-94F1-C62925127BC4.thumb.jpeg.064aba5efc6bc29f5a03ce378207712f.jpeg

I would not recommend the potato gnocchi so I am happy to see it is no longer offered at Canaletto. 

For dessert, we had a trio of gelato and Tiramisú.

D292D9E7-0393-49AF-ACD4-A4ECDF2741DF.thumb.jpeg.6198e2c172e152526c29f847863b232e.jpeg

9CCBA5B2-7CD3-451E-B53C-170FDEE0F25C.thumb.jpeg.14ea6b29d061b41a431a5050737805bd.jpeg

The gelato was enjoyable, the Tiramisú was not. 

Looking at the current menu, the Sunday special of chicken parmigiana sounds appetizing as does the Tuesday special of beef short rib brasato barolo.

Under large plates, we would be happy to try the pollo al mattone con salmoriglio (olive oil, lemon, garlic, and oregano sauce) and the tagliatelle di manzo all’ amarone (Italian dry red wine reduction sauce).

For dessert, we would try the torta caprese al limone, the gelato, the tatella al cioccolate di nocciole e nutella, and possibly the affogato. 

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your time at Canaletto. 

• Like 3

We were sorry to see the chicken cacciatore taken off of Canaletto's menu.

I loved it and ordered it each time we ate there.  That said, my husband is

a fan of their lasagne...and we both loved the tiramisu.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Click.Write.Post. said:

B38B697C-1509-40DD-94F1-C62925127BC4.thumb.jpeg.064aba5efc6bc29f5a03ce378207712f.jpeg

I would not recommend the potato gnocchi so I am happy to see it is no longer offered at Canaletto. 

Our gnocchi looked nothing like this on the K'dam in February. Only 5 gnocchi and 4 pieces of beef. When asked if we enjoyed our meal, we mentioned the ratio. We thought it was very good - just not enough gnocchi.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

2 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

We've LOVED the Canaletto every time we have eaten there. We take recommendations from the server. IMO, it is the often overlooked little brother to the Pinnacle Grill but it shouldn't be.  Service, food and experience were all top notch!

Spot on, kevingastreich!  👍👍👍

We have enjoyed dining in the Canaletto many times, but not with the new menu.  If you're getting it as a complimentary meal, you have nothing to lose.  Go, ask the staff for explanations of the menu - they will gladly help you.  Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Our gnocchi looked nothing like this on the K'dam in February. Only 5 gnocchi and 4 pieces of beef. When asked if we enjoyed our meal, we mentioned the ratio. We thought it was very good - just not enough gnocchi.

It is always interesting to see or hear how the same food item is prepared differently from ship to ship and even from day to day on the same ship. 

While we have enjoyed the menu and preparation, we stopped going because on most ships it is right next to the dish room and the door was never closed and we couldn't hear each other over the sounds from the dishwasher and the rest.  The food has been good but the atmosphere terrible.  It has often felt like they chose the least utilized space in the Lido to use for the restaurant.

• Like 1

Agree with the poster who said it's really up to personal preference but I wanted to share that we had a really positive experience here. We went to the Canaletto in last month on the Rotterdam - it was our  first time going in a long time (several years!).  We were pleasantly surprised with the menu selection, how good it was, and how authentic the food tasted. The service we experienced was also outstanding. For appetizer, we loved the Melanzane dish (eggplant), really delicious, layers of flavor. For entree, my husband loved the lobster & shrimp ravioli, and since it was Sunday, i had the special which was good old Chicken Parmigiana. It was served very thin, crispy on the outside, just like it should be. Dessert, i was pleasantly surprised by the gelato trio, and my husband had the tiramisu. We had a great time, and would definitely go back.  Location wise, at least on the Rotterdam ship, we thought they did a good job of sectioning off the Canaletto area. It didn't feel like we were in the Lido at all (to be safe, ask for a table AWAY from the host station - where you will sometimes have curious people walking by and looking in and/or accidentally walking in thinking its open seating for the lido like it is during breakfast!)

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the Osso Bucco several years ago. Sadly, it was removed. I ask anyway. Maybe it is put on the menu for longer voyages, just to change things a bit.

And for the old-timers here...many years ago there was cotton candy given out, pink and blue. I recall that was when there was no charge for that venue.

Jim

I think a lot depends on the chef on board, too.  My absolute favourite was the melanzane on Prinsendam, but it was not very good here on Amsterdam.  Zuppe dI pesce has been replaced by Brodetto  di Pesce , also very good, and there is a gnocchi with duck which was excellent.  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

While I wouldn’t call Canaletto top notch, we still enjoy it. We loved the meatballs and the short rib gnocchi. We liked the gnocchi dish so much, we’ve recreated it at home. There was a veal dish we liked too. We didn’t care for the lasagna not the carpaccio.