Sun or Bliss

lepidoptera

I have recently decided to cancel my spring cruise that NCL changed the itinerary  and decided to swap Caribbean for Alaska next fall. I have always wanted to travel to Alaska, and actually was supposed to take an ecology class there in college but ended up not being able to go. That ended up saving me a years worth of tuition and room and board because it allowed me to fit a 5 year program into 4 years, but was I was bitterly disappointed and have been telling myself ever since that I’d visit.

Now the question is which ship Sun (9/25/20) or Bliss. I am a Solo traveller and Sun is at least $300 cheaper for the same (slightly different port times and leaves on a Friday) itinerary that Bliss does every week. $300 would be a nice amount to save for the more expensive Alaskan excursions. But $300 is not that any where near enough that  I won’t take the Bliss if the Sun would make me miserable.

I’ve sailed smaller ships and liked them. I loved Star for a busy Greek Isles trip with family, liked the Jade but found the solo programming not well done and felt isolated on a sailing with 3 sea days. I absolutely loved the Breakaway-so far my favorite cruise ship on any line-and loved the solo programming they had, we had a fabulous coordinator and had plenty to do on an 11 day sailing with 5 sea days. 

I know Bliss is “designed for Alaska” but I keep thinking I’ll be paying more for a more crowded ship, with more people to get and off the ship with a lot of gimmicks I won’t use like the race track and laser tag. The only things that I am thinking would make it nicer would be the observation lounge (if I can find a spot), my NCl fave Ocean Blue and the a higher probability of a good solo group.

Is there really that much time on an alaskan sailing that I could enjoy the features of the Bliss properly? Can the Alaskan ports really handle a mega ship or will I be tripping over people? Which would you choose?

Those are two VERY different ships! If you like smaller ships, I do highly recommend the Sun. The rooms are a great size, the ship has been refurbished, staff is great, and crowds are minimal. It has a great observation lounge in the Spinnaker, so while it’s not as impressive as the Bliss, it’s still very satisfying.

We recently sailed in the owner’s suite on the Sun, but have not sailed on the Bliss. However, comparing the Sun to a large NCL ship, I’d probably choose the Sun if it’s cheaper and I can get the owner’s suite again.

Edited by FLcruisergrl

Lots of interesting thoughts here🤔

I’m sort of leaning towards the Sun (I wish I could do an 11 day!)  thinking that I’ll be out on the decks/off in Excurisons and it will be more enjoyable with fewer people on a smaller ship. I’ve been struggling with which to book for a week now and still am not sure. 

So I did Bliss in Alaska (solo) and just got off a weekend cruise on Sun. While I wouldn't rule out Sun (and I am intrigued by her longer Alaskan cruises) if it's same itinerary and price Bliss hands down. The question is the premium I'd put on Bliss...

While I didn't go to the solo meet on Sun, I was happy with it on the Bliss. I met most of the people I hung out with during the solo meet. Also did the go karts (meh) and laser tag (was really fun) with the solo group. 

The local is by far and away better than the sports bar on Sun (so disappointed in the late night food). The Sun has those disjointed floors to nowhere that are annoying. It wasn't as bad as the older away class, but you could smell smoke indoors compared to being Bliss-fully smoke free if that matters (I have asthma do it matters a lot to me). I felt like I could see out to the water/landscape more on Bliss. 

I don't think the Sun felt less crowded than Bliss at all - and that was with half the boat on the pool deck. I'd be worried how crowded it would be if the weather pushed everyone inside on the Sun. With the waterfront being covered and the huge observation lounge and other venues I think the Bliss had a lot of inside space. Especially as a solo - I almost always could find a seat in the observation lounge with a view of outside. The few times I didn't you could find me in sugarcane looking out those windows or even down in the atrium or on the waterfront. 

Also the studios have a virtual window which is nicer than a regular old inside. And while the weather didn't cooperate to use it to much, I always like having an adult's only area that Sun is lacking (and that shade on great outdoors isn't waterproof btw).

Oh and I liked the buffet better on Bliss, though it was a little easier to find a spot to sit on Sun.

So answer! I would say if the 300 more would really cut your excursion budget I might go with sun. I spent 500 on my Alaska excursions and none were a plane or helicopter ride. Excursions are just more expensive up there and way more important I think compared to the Caribbean where you can go to the beach. But I think ship time would be much more enjoyable on the Bliss.

Edited by smplybcause

Use caution when comparing prices.   The Bliss studio comes with a free at sea perk like a $50 shore excursion credit each port while the Sun inside sailaway rate does not come with any perks.  So ultimately you'll be spending just about the same amount.

For me, the Bliss wins hands down.  I totally agree with the previous poster re all the benefits.  I was in a studio cabin on the Bliss last month (July) and absolutely loved it.  Has a virtual reality window with a live view outside just as if you are in a balcony cabin.  Plus the solo lounge is such a wonderful space and far away from everyone else on the ship.

As for avoiding the crowds onboard I had no problem.   On the day we cruised Glacier Bay I went out to the waterfront area because it was sunny and warm with temps in the 60s.  Believe it or not, I was one of the few people out there; sat on a sofa and saw wildlife galore.   A waiter came around with a tray of hot chocolate.  

Whenever I went to the Observation Lounge I had multiple seats to select from.  It helps to be solo since random single seats available always.  In the Observation Lounge I felt I was in heaven hanging out at the top of the world.

It was my first cruise to Alaska but certainly won't be my last.  I want to go back next summer.  In fact, your posting got me looking at possibilities.  I like those 10 and 11 day sailings on the Sun; price seems reasonable and in line with a 7 day on the Bliss..   And they go in early September which could provide better weather than the very last cruise of the season which is the one you mention.

But I feel you can't go wrong with an Alaska cruise, whatever you choose.

Thanks smplybecause and Eggs2Go a solo cruisers experience is super helpful. I’ve sailed a studio before and really liked it, and the studios on Bliss seem even nicer. Unfortunately I work labor day and labor day weekend next year so that rules out the 11 day and people already have vacation booked that interferes with the 10 day. But the fact that Bliss is smoke free is really interesting-I have asthma too and have to be careful in cruise ships. 

What ports??  How long in port??

I would have said the SUN over the Bliss. (Never sailed Bliss, but love the SUN)

Are they closed loop cruises? Is the SUN doing the inside passage?  Are you going into Glacier Bay?  Tracey Arm?  I would suggest the SUN is able to go into Glacier Bay when the big ships can't.   

The SUN has the enclosed Observation Lounge AND the outside deck right in front of that.  We did the inside passage on the Jewel this June and I missed that aspect in her observation lounge.  SUN still has the Great Outdoors, ice for breakfast and just watching the wake.

I think you need to do more homework -- compare ports, times and other variables before you make your decision. 

Also consider airfare in your value.  I'm in the process of booking my second cruise this year, I was on Bliss in April and I'm going back to Bliss for the Mexican Riviera in October.  The last quotes I got had the studio at less than $50 less than a balcony when airfare was calculated (from that particular TA, through work).  The GTY Balcony (code BF) includes the reduced airfare* and all free-at-sea perks (or 2 free-at-sea perks a-la-carte plus the airfare if you don't want all of them).  I was all gung-ho for Studio cabins but if the total cost is only $50 more for a balcony, I'm taking the dang balcony, especially when you consider I'm getting the shore excursion credit of $50 per port (for 3 ports) so it makes the total value that much better.

*I posted a thread on this - if the cruise has a reduced solo supplement, that is negated by getting reduced airfare.  In my case - airfare is close to $600 so the $400 cruise cost increase plus the $200 reduced airfare cost is what the airfare would be on a Studio but I get a better room.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the studio cabin, and would absolutely sail in one again if the numbers worked in favor of that cabin.

No the itineraries are almost exactly the same, if they were different that would help me make the decision. The same ports, in the exact same order. The only differences are:

Bliss leaves on Sunday at 1700 Sun leaves on Friday at 1600.

Juneau Bliss arrives 1430 departs 2300. Sun arrives 1300 departs 2100.

Bliss arrives in Skagway at 0700 departs 2015. Sun arrives 0800 departs 2000.

The difference in time in port is minuscule and considering Bliss is bigger I think getting off and on will take longer. 

Whichever sails through glacier bay.  It will be worth the extra dollars for the Bliss if the sun does not go through there.  The observation lounge is everything. It’s a slice of heaven.  We went from taking pictures on the balcony to relaxing and socializing in the observation lounge, and yes, even lounged and napped. The horror of doing that on a relaxing vacation.

Actually it looks like both the Bliss and the Sun are sailing Glacier Bay in 2020.   This year on August 1 on the Bliss we were able to go all the way in Glacier Bay to the end at Margerie Glacier; there were small icebergs but no worries  about the Titanic.  On the Bliss three National Park rangers joined the ship and described what we were seeing; their talk was on the loudspeakers and on TV plus lectures in the theater and special children's programs too.  I don't know if Sun being a smaller ship is able to offer that.   But whatever ship I sail next, I can't wait to return to Alaska.  And this is from a "city girl" who didn't know she would love wilderness.

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

Also consider airfare in your value.  I'm in the process of booking my second cruise this year, I was on Bliss in April and I'm going back to Bliss for the Mexican Riviera in October.  The last quotes I got had the studio at less than $50 less than a balcony when airfare was calculated (from that particular TA, through work).  The GTY Balcony (code BF) includes the reduced airfare* and all free-at-sea perks (or 2 free-at-sea perks a-la-carte plus the airfare if you don't want all of them).  I was all gung-ho for Studio cabins but if the total cost is only $50 more for a balcony, I'm taking the dang balcony, especially when you consider I'm getting the shore excursion credit of $50 per port (for 3 ports) so it makes the total value that much better.

*I posted a thread on this - if the cruise has a reduced solo supplement, that is negated by getting reduced airfare.  In my case - airfare is close to $600 so the $400 cruise cost increase plus the $200 reduced airfare cost is what the airfare would be on a Studio but I get a better room.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the studio cabin, and would absolutely sail in one again if the numbers worked in favor of that cabin.

Unfortunately this time getting a balcony to get the the take 5 and the air perk is a lot more I already priced it-almost $2000. I love sailing in a balcony and wish I could do it this time. 

20 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

Whichever sails through glacier bay.  It will be worth the extra dollars for the Bliss if the sun does not go through there.  The observation lounge is everything. It’s a slice of heaven.  We went from taking pictures on the balcony to relaxing and socializing in the observation lounge, and yes, even lounged and napped. The horror of doing that on a relaxing vacation.

They both go through glacier bay, I just started looking at your Bliss review last night and it’s not making the decision any easier, beautiful pictures!

• Thanks 1