Rome & Civitavecchia Hotels?

shipgirl56

We always stay at Traghetto hotel in Civitavecchia.  We usually arrange with the hotel to have a limo pick us up at the airport in Rome and bring us to hotel.

There is a pizza place next door for a meal, breakfast is included in your hotel room price.

You can walk to the bus about a block to take you to the port.  

You can also take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia then it is a good walk to the hotel but lots of people do this.

Sue

24 minutes ago, go fish 44 said:

We always stay at Traghetto hotel in Civitavecchia.  We usually arrange with the hotel to have a limo pick us up at the airport in Rome and bring us to hotel.

There is a pizza place next door for a meal, breakfast is included in your hotel room price.

You can walk to the bus about a block to take you to the port.  

You can also take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia then it is a good walk to the hotel but lots of people do this.

Sue

Second this....

The two times I've cruised out of Civitavecchia I didn't stay there overnight.  On my first trip I stayed 3 nights in Rome, spent a couple of days touring, and then the tour company we used also transferred us to the Cruise Ship terminal in Civitavecchia. In Rome we stayed in an apartment that I and several friends rented for our stay. It was affordable and had a great location near the Spanish Steps and a subway station.  Lots of great restaurants around.

If you're looking for a Hotel to stay at in Rome, you might try checking Rick Steve's guides. 

The other time I cruise out of Civitavecchia I paid for HALs Airport Transfer.  I landed early on the morning of cruise departure and HAL put me and my stuff on a bus for a easy transfer to the ship. It was worth it.

Best hotel in Rome (IMHO) is Hotel Artemide.  Not outlandishly priced, in a great location for walking to all of the important sites, best service and staff ever, best food, best rooftop bar, best breakfast room food/chef … can't say enough good things about it.  There's a reason it's #2 on TripAdvisor.  We love it!!  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d205044-Reviews-Hotel_Artemide-Rome_Lazio.html  

I was looking at Hotel Traghetto.  Is it walkable to the port from there?  We have light backpack style bags that we carry on our backs.  No other luggage.

We are either staying 3 nights in Rome and then go to ship or 2 nights Rome and 1 in Civitavecchia.

We don't want to go back to the airport before transferring to the ship.  We will probably just take the train on our own. Does HAL transfer you from hotel to ship? Or, do you have to go back to the airport?

Is there anything to see in Civitavecchia?

Edited by shipgirl56

There is really no need to up sticks and move from Rome to Civitavecchia. It's only about an hour from Rome to the port via a car or shuttle. Why spend time packing up, checking out, checking in again, etc.  Plus Civitavecchia is a pretty pokey place. 

I'd highly recommend (and have, many times) staying in Rome. Stay somewhere in the historic center (centro) and have a magical last evening, instead of being in Civitavecchia...

• Haha 1

We have reservations for this October to stay 3 nights at the Navona Gallery and Garden Suites.  This will be our first time staying there but they get excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.  It's a b&b and the prices are very reasonable but there are only a few units so you have to book really early or just get lucky.

We'll then use Civitavecchia Shuttle Express for transportation to the ship. We did use this company last year from the port to the airport.

The nicest hotel in Civi is Hotel San Georgio.  Stayed there a couple of times.  Very old world charm, but spotlessly clean.  Their breakfast is wonderful with gorgeous views of the sea.  They will pick you up at the airport and the cost is less than a private car or taxi.  They also have a shuttle to the cruise port for a small fee.  The good thing about that transfer is that they have permission to go into the port and right up to the terminal and your ship.  Some cab companies drop you off at the gate and you have to walk through the port to get to the ship.  A long walk with luggage!

Well we will all agree to disagree and we were blown away with our spot.

Hotel Villa Spalletti.  I’s really a Palazzio, , not a hotel as it only has a few rooms, gardens and a fabulous breakfast and drink set up in the evening.  It’s a family Palazzo that they have maintained as a hotel initially to save it and now as business.  They are helpful, congenial and take good care of their guests.

I was really impressed when they warned me of a rail strike and suggested we move our private transfer up.  they reached my roll member who was sharing and the company.  For once I sat back and let someone else take care of it.  While we were relaxing, he came in and told me all done and our new pick up time.

Oh, and of course we arrived at a ludicrous hour in the morning. Way too early to check in.  They invited us to have breakfast (which we did) then a bit of a walk, and back and WOW our room was ready.

Beautiful spot.  My DS stayed there on my recommendation (talk about nervous) and loved it.

12 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The nicest hotel in Civi is Hotel San Georgio.  Stayed there a couple of times.  Very old world charm, but spotlessly clean.  Their breakfast is wonderful with gorgeous views of the sea.  They will pick you up at the airport and the cost is less than a private car or taxi.  They also have a shuttle to the cruise port for a small fee.  The good thing about that transfer is that they have permission to go into the port and right up to the terminal and your ship.  Some cab companies drop you off at the gate and you have to walk through the port to get to the ship.  A long walk with luggage!

I highly suggest taking a look at this thread from the Italy forum about Hotel Giorgio before booking there. Several recent bad experiences (and more reported on Tripadvisor):

Also, any taxi with cruise passengers can enter the port to drop off. (As well as every well-reviewed shuttle service.) The issue comes into play when it's the other way around -- not all taxis are allowed to enter the port to pick up passengers, unless they can prove they have a pre-reserved fare waiting....

• Like 1

For accommodations near the port, and something completely different, I highly recommend Hotel Villa Della Palme.  The hotel arranged for transportation from the airport and then to the port (less than 15 mins away).  It was a lovely clean hotel with great staff and food (and a hidden garden that no one found but us) next to a beautiful beach and within walking distance to a great downtown area with lots of shops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgirl56 said:

I was looking at Hotel Traghetto.  Is it walkable to the port from there?  We have light backpack style bags that we carry on our backs.  No other luggage.

We are either staying 3 nights in Rome and then go to ship or 2 nights Rome and 1 in Civitavecchia.

We don't want to go back to the airport before transferring to the ship.  We will probably just take the train on our own. Does HAL transfer you from hotel to ship? Or, do you have to go back to the airport?

Is there anything to see in Civitavecchia?

Walk out the front door of Hotel Traghetto and turn left. Walk to the corner and you'll see the entrance to the port where the busses are located to take you to the ship.

Hotel Hassler Roma!!! At the top of the Spanish Steps! A wonderful hotel with 3 restaurants and a magnificent staff!!

we will be there again for 4 days this April after our cruise. Easy to get to if by train get off at Spanaga or a taxi!! Great for walking everywhere to all the key places!

Denise😊

10 hours ago, zelker said:

Best hotel in Rome (IMHO) is Hotel Artemide.  Not outlandishly priced, in a great location for walking to all of the important sites, best service and staff ever, best food, best rooftop bar, best breakfast room food/chef … can't say enough good things about it.  There's a reason it's #2 on TripAdvisor.  We love it!!  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d205044-Reviews-Hotel_Artemide-Rome_Lazio.html  

Agree with all of the above comments.Perfect location , beautifully furnished rooms and all contents of the mini bar are included  ( beer, soda and snacks ) and they are replenished daily .Great to grab chilled bottled  water( still and sparkling)  before going out for the day to find it had been replaced when we returned to our  room.Will definitely book this hotel again.I left 1 of my sandals behind , it was posted home at the hotel’s expense .

• Like 1

Stayed at the Albrego del Senato for four nights prior to our cruise, and I absolutely loved the hotel.  The location is amazing and the staff we were wonderful.  Walk out the door and you can practically touch the Pantheon.  Next time I am in Rome I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would recommend spending all your time in Rome.  No point on leaving early to Civitavecchia.  There is nothing there and the transfer to port from Rome is very easy.  We used to Rome cabs which I highly recommend as well.  

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I highly suggest taking a look at this thread from the Italy forum about Hotel Giorgio before booking there. Several recent bad experiences (and more reported on Tripadvisor):

Also, any taxi with cruise passengers can enter the port to drop off. (As well as every well-reviewed shuttle service.) The issue comes into play when it's the other way around -- not all taxis are allowed to enter the port to pick up passengers, unless they can prove they have a pre-reserved fare waiting....

Definitely not our experience at all!  We were treated very well, the transfers were very organised and on time and the food was really good.  We love this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to book it again.  Apparently others have a different story and were very disappointed.  As for the cab situation, while we were sitting in the terminal waiting for embarkation to begin, two couples came in and both were not happy.  Their cab drivers did not tell them that they could not go into the terminal and both couples were dropped at the gate.  Again, some people have different experiences than others.

The Hotel Nazionale in Roma is a great hotel, in a very central location. We were close to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Forum, Colosseum, Piazza Navarro, St. Peter’s, the Vatican, the Pantheon. 

It is located in the same Piazza as their Parliament building. Very quiet.

A wonderful breakfast area and buffet. And their public room is a great place to gather for a pre-dinner beverage.

Wherever you stay, enjoy this amazing city!

Been to Rome numerous times and we found a perfect little boutique hotel we now stay at. If you only have 2 days (nights) this little place is very Italian, fantastic roof garden/patio with view of the Vatican and Palatine Hill.  It is on the fabulous piazza

Campo de' Fiori which is a market in the mornings and full of trattorias in the afternoons and evenings. A block away from Piazza Navonna and within walking distance of all sites. Hotel Campo de' Fiori https://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/

I agree with others that Hotel San Giorgio in Citivecchia is a great hotel.

We just stayed three nights at the Quodlibet Guest House right after a cruise.  It is ranked #1 for bed and breakfasts in Rome on Tripadvisor.  Prices are very reasonable for Rome (under 110€ per room) and include breakfast, satellite TV, a shared kitchen, and AC.  The owner allowed me to call the US on his cell phone, so I could check on my mom.  It is less than 5 minutes from the Ottaviano metro station and 10 minutes from the Vatican.  We liked the area because it was very quiet but close to everything.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Definitely not our experience at all!  We were treated very well, the transfers were very organised and on time and the food was really good.  We love this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to book it again.  Apparently others have a different story and were very disappointed.  As for the cab situation, while we were sitting in the terminal waiting for embarkation to begin, two couples came in and both were not happy.  Their cab drivers did not tell them that they could not go into the terminal and both couples were dropped at the gate.  Again, some people have different experiences than others.

I don't doubt that you had a good experience. I just think it is worth noting that a number of others have experienced this bait and switch tactic with reservations at this particular hotel, only to be informed shortly before arrival of this 'overbooking' situation which can cause a lot of anxiety and dissatisfaction. I just wouldn't want to play the odds that everything would be okay and want to ensure others have all the info to make the best decision for themselves.

As we often say here on Cruise Critic, a few bad reviews should be enough to warn others off!  It has impacted at least 30 people by reports I have personally read and deem credible.

As for the cabs, perhaps they were unlicensed?  I've sailed out of or into Civi at least once a year for the past 10 years and what I stated is the port's official policy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC1979 said:

Stayed at the Albrego del Senato for four nights prior to our cruise, and I absolutely loved the hotel.  The location is amazing and the staff we were wonderful.  Walk out the door and you can practically touch the Pantheon.  Next time I am in Rome I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would recommend spending all your time in Rome.  No point on leaving early to Civitavecchia.  There is nothing there and the transfer to port from Rome is very easy.  We used to Rome cabs which I highly recommend as well.  

My favorite hotel in Rome!  I've stayed in almost a dozen Rome hotels over the years, as I like to try out different hotels and locations, but I always hold the Albergo del Senato to be the best.  

I got an awesome rate for my upcoming November stay and will be there for 10 (!!) nights. 

• Like 1