Club Orange upgrade offer - on R class ship

DaveOKC

42 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think someone posted that suite guests on ships other than the 3 new Pinnacle class ships are still getting PG breakfast, but I'm not sure of that. 

And looking at the link fatcat posted (thank you for that!), I see that there's no mention of CO in the description of suites. So, on non-Pinnacle class ships, do suite guests get the "expanded" dinner menu?

I believe suites guests do get the expanded menu for dinner in the MDR.  I've read that CO guests have been seated at tables with non-CO guests.  I think this was when a group of CO and non-CO were travelling/dining together.  The menu had a 'special border' and the expanded item.  

I'm fairly certain you know that wife and I do not patronize the MDR.  In September, we're traveling in a Neptune on NAM two weeks after Club Orange is implemented on that ship.  We intend to dine in the MDR at least once so we can speak with some authority on the experience.

I suspect that suites will still get PG breakfast on the non-Pinnacle ships.  I don't believe HAL is dumb enough to stop that.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

I believe suites guests do get the expanded menu for dinner in the MDR.  I've read that CO guests have been seated at tables with non-CO guests.  I think this was when a group of CO and non-CO were travelling/dining together.  The menu had a 'special border' and the expanded item.  

I'm fairly certain you know that wife and I do not patronize the MDR.  In September, we're traveling in a Neptune on NAM two weeks after Club Orange is implemented on that ship.  We intend to dine in the MDR at least once so we can speak with some authority on the experience.

I suspect that suites will still get PG breakfast on the non-Pinnacle ships.  I don't believe HAL is dumb enough to stop that.

(bold added by me) I want to believe that, but it's HAL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That was my first impression of CO. The difference is when you're in the CO, you feel like people walking by are watching you eat. But in the MDR, everyone is eating and you don't feel like people are looking at you. I got used to it and it didn't bother me.

Forget converting Tamarind. Too many people love it. 

Personally, I would think the 'fish bowl' is a big improvement over the MDR.  We rarely dine in the MDR because we think it is too crowded and too noisy.  If we think we're being watched in the CO, we can always change the way we're seated.

Perhaps a large number of people do like the Tamarind, but RCCI on their Oasis Class ships converted their Viking Crown Lounge, loved by many, into a suites lounge and dining.  It's not too far fetched an idea.  The Tamarind would be a wonderful location for HAL to do the same.  Probably fewer complaints than trying to carve out a dining area like Luminae in the MDR.

Edited by RocketMan275

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

NO, not at this point.  Waiting for good input from my CC friends!  Did you get the offer?

Yes, we did receive the offer.  But along with that was an upsell offer to a Neptune which we accepted.  We always have an idea of how much we would pay just in case and this was in our price range.  So we will get to try club orange out.  I am curious how it works .  We like to have options when dining.  We always book as you wish dining as we enjoy variety:  pinnacle, canelleto, lido and MDR.  We enjoy meeting new people at dinner or dining with new friends we have met on tour or the roll call.  It depends upon the menu and how busy our day has been where we eat.  So this added club orange will be interesting.  I will definitely post about the experience after our cruise!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Yes, we did receive the offer.  But along with that was an upsell offer to a Neptune which we accepted.  We always have an idea of how much we would pay just in case and this was in our price range.  So we will get to try club orange out.  I am curious how it works .  We like to have options when dining.  We always book as you wish dining as we enjoy variety:  pinnacle, canelleto, lido and MDR.  We enjoy meeting new people at dinner or dining with new friends we have met on tour or the roll call.  It depends upon the menu and how busy our day has been where we eat.  So this added club orange will be interesting.  I will definitely post about the experience after our cruise!

If you do not mind me asking, when did you receive the upgrade offer to a Neptune?   After I saw your post I called HAL upsell department and asked  about it and they said that they did not have anything??  I also asked late yesterday (same department - the number on the email) and they said that nothing had gone out.  

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

If you do not mind me asking, when did you receive the upgrade offer to a Neptune?   After I saw your post I called HAL upsell department and asked  about it and they said that they did not have anything??  I also asked late yesterday (same department - the number on the email) and they said that nothing had gone out.  

Brad and I had been talking about this possibility for quite some time.  I emailed my TA on Sunday and asked her if she thought it was too soon to ask about upsell. 

She called either Monday or Tuesday to inquire about an upsell.  She was given a cost and asked that it was noted in our booking  and preserved at that quoted amount even though later the Neptune price went up.  We were able to keep our gratuities and OBC.  

She and I discussed this last night and I said to go,for the upsell!  Now I get to tell brad in a few minutes as he was flying home!   Our TA called HAL this morning and confirmed we were interested.  We have a quart tee SB.  We don’t mind the locations of the SB and if we get a shower only, that is ok with us.  

She he did say at that time she first called, that upsell hadn’t officially started yet.  But she asked to speak to,a supervisors and got a quotas for us.

Hope this helps.  

10 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Brad and I had been talking about this possibility for quite some time.  I emailed my TA on Sunday and asked her if she thought it was too soon to ask about upsell. 

She called either Monday or Tuesday to inquire about an upsell.  She was given a cost and asked that it was noted in our booking  and preserved at that quoted amount even though later the Neptune price went up.  We were able to keep our gratuities and OBC.  

She and I discussed this last night and I said to go,for the upsell!  Now I get to tell brad in a few minutes as he was flying home!   Our TA called HAL this morning and confirmed we were interested.  We have a quart tee SB.  We don’t mind the locations of the SB and if we get a shower only, that is ok with us.  

She he did say at that time she first called, that upsell hadn’t officially started yet.  But she asked to speak to,a supervisors and got a quotas for us.

Hope this helps.  

Thanks - makes a bit more sense now, as I called direct and not to a supervisor.  Sounds like you have a great TA!

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

My SIL was offered this and she jumped at the offer. This is only her second cruise and she is in an ocean view room. She was not offered a room upgrade. She really wanted the lanai room.

My understanding is that the upgrade is within a general category, so from one category of an ocean view room to a "better" category of an ocean view room, not ocean view to Lanai. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:21 PM, DaveOKC said:

Just recieved an offer from HAL to upgrade to Club Orange for our 14 day cruise.  Cost $15 per person, per day.

We are on the Amsterdam (which does not have a dedicated Club Orange room) to Alaska.  Since we are 4 Star, we already get some of the items (like priority boarding, disembarkation, and tenders), but was wondering what people who have done this on an R class ship felt - was it worth it?  

We are on this same cruise. It is our first HAL cruise. We got the offer for $15pp/pd and took it. 

On 8/20/2019 at 2:21 PM, DaveOKC said:

Just recieved an offer from HAL to upgrade to Club Orange for our 14 day cruise.  Cost $15 per person, per day.

We are on the Amsterdam (which does not have a dedicated Club Orange room) to Alaska.  Since we are 4 Star, we already get some of the items (like priority boarding, disembarkation, and tenders), but was wondering what people who have done this on an R class ship felt - was it worth it?  

They have just started Club Orange on R ships and already lowered the price from $25 to $15. It started at $50 on the new ships and was lowered to $35. Based on your 4 star level, the only benefits would be 1 extra main course choice at dinner, better room service menu, mimosas with breakfast, and I guess a special line for seating at breakfast and dinner. Unless you REALLY  love that dinner choice EVERY night, I just don't see the value. If you decided to choose a Specialty restaurant, just add that $15 to your cost, because you paid it whether or not you ate in the MDR. Sorry... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twodjs said:

They have just started Club Orange on R ships and already lowered the price from $25 to $15. It started at $50 on the new ships and was lowered to $35. Based on your 4 star level, the only benefits would be 1 extra main course choice at dinner, better room service menu, mimosas with breakfast, and I guess a special line for seating at breakfast and dinner. Unless you REALLY  love that dinner choice EVERY night, I just don't see the value. 

The way my PCC just explained it to me yesterday was that Club Orange is $35 on the two newest ships and $25 on the rest of the fleet, so I guess even HAL does not see as much of a value on the older ships.  The $15 offer I received was a special promotion to get the thing going (most people are still not aware of it).

As to the upgrade, as others have pointed out, you haave to stay with your booking category (like by Vista B could only go to an A - if I was in an A I would get nothing).  Therefore, this free upgrade could be worth it to some people, but not to others.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:50 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The priority lines at shorex and guest services exist. You don't have to ask. There's a special mat you stand on and supposedly you're served next. At least, that's how it was for guest services on the K, where the regular line was at the right end of the counter and the CO line was at the left. I tried it once just to see how it works. I did not get noticed/called by the next available staffer. Instead, I had to wait for the staffer directly in front of the CO mat to finish with someone who was taking a long time. Meanwhile everyone in the regular line had quick issues and that line moved quickly. I'd have been finished sooner if I'd stood in the regular line. NOT complaining, just pointing out that, as you said, this "priority" wasn't worth anything. 

The Pinnacle ships are a different breed, try it on the rest of the fleet.

This thread emphasizes why I can’t stand Club Orange.  Those of us who have spent tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars on HAL to obtain 4 & 5 star status can now watch a complete newbie get many of the same privileges for $15/day.  Nice way to stick it too your loyal customers HAL.  No wonder I find so many HAL refugees on the Oceania and Azamara boards.

for clarity, I don’t blame the newbies.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

This thread emphasizes why I can’t stand Club Orange.  Those of us who have spent tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars on HAL to obtain 4 & 5 star status can now watch a complete newbie get many of the same privileges for $15/day.  Nice way to stick it too your loyal customers HAL.  No wonder I find so many HAL refugees on the Oceania and Azamara boards.

I agree completely! That is why I hated the program from the start. Show no respect to the loyal customers or the suite customers. Great way to blow it, HAL.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

The Pinnacle ships are a different breed, try it on the rest of the fleet.

Have you seen it on a non-Pinnacle ship? I don't see why it would be so hard to do the priority line at customer service on any ship. It turned out to be useless in my one attempt to use it, but if they want to put out a sign or a special mat, they can do that easily.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Just now, twodjs said:

I agree completely! That is why I hated the program from the start. Show no respect to the loyal customers or the suite customers. Great way to blow it, HAL.

For clarity, I'm not a big fan of CO and I'm 4*. But I'm not offended by it. 

I don't see how CO is such a slap in the face of loyal customers. On all but two ships, CO passengers pay a fee to get a few perks: priority tendering and embarkation, one extra choice at dinner, and maybe an extra choice and a mimosa at breakfast. Maybe they get to jump the queue in the wait for a table in the MDR. The rest of the benefits are a lot of window dressing. The only real overlap is the priority embarkation and tendering. CO doesn't give discounts on wine packages or specialty restaurants. It doesn't give free laundry. Those are Mariner benefits worth some money.

The only overlaps for NS and PS are the priority embarkation (and tendering? do N/P suites get that?) and special breakfast. And it appears that CO and suites share a breakfast space only on the Pinnacle ships. From what I'm seeing here, suites on other ships are still getting breakfast in PG while CO are getting the special space or menu or whatever in the MDR. 

2 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Has anyone asked Seattle if push came to shove which had.... priority club orange or four star Mariner?

This is why I talked to our TA about an upsell. We usually book a guarantee room and see what happens. I can't remember when we weren't upgraded to better room in the category we booked...for example we usually book a BB guarantee.  Most times we end up in an A.  With club orange people getting upgrades in their category, my questions was where does that put the guarantee people on the list. 

I find all this very interesting and appreciate everyone's comments.  We also have "worked" hard to get to 5 star but I can't blame someone for being interested in what club orange has to offer for $15pp for the 14 days. 

Sometime to me it is all a mystery on how HAL works assigning rooms and making decisions about other things on a ship!!

But it won't stop us from cruising as much as we can....and we also are looking at other cruise options.  

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't see how CO is such a slap in the face of loyal customers. 

Well except for laundry and restaurant discounts, those other perks given to CO guests WERE the perks reserved for 4 star or suite guests. HAL already offered fewer perks than every other major cruise line and now, rather than catch up and offer real value to their best customers, they do this. We are 4 star also. And they slapped our faces hard. As a result, we have 4 cruises coming up within the year - none on HAL.

18 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

This is why I talked to our TA about an upsell. We usually book a guarantee room and see what happens. I can't remember when we weren't upgraded to better room in the category we booked...for example we usually book a BB guarantee.  Most times we end up in an A.  With club orange people getting upgrades in their category, my questions was where does that put the guarantee people on the list. 

IMO, this new program puts the guarantees even lower on the pole than before.  First the Upsell process favored the purchasers of the upsells, and now Club Orange will do the same.  One reason why I do not like to purchase guarantees (in most cases).  I think the days (with some exceptions of course) of big jumps in categories is gone.

Edited by DaveOKC