Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
stines

Oceania C1 or HAL Neptune Suite

Recommended Posts

So, looking for some advice. Two similiar 14 night port-intensive itineraries to New Zealand in Jan 2020. Two (what will be) refreshed/renovated ships - Regatta and Noordam.  Noordam is about 1K more expensive with no additional benefits other than their standard Suite amenities. Oceania includes the OLife choice, but in an Outside cabin with picture window only.

 

I know HAL and O are VERY different in most aspects, but still debating which to choose?  Is the Neptune Suite experience really worth it vs. the overall Oceania experience?  Thanks for your thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stines said:

I know HAL and O are VERY different in most aspects, but still debating which to choose?  Is the Neptune Suite experience really worth it vs. the overall Oceania experience?  Thanks for your thoughts. 

Sadly, the Neptune experience has been whittled down to a fragment of what it was.

Passengers must fetch 85% of the amenities for themselves.

The larger cabin is nice, but wasted on a port intensive itinerary.

FWIW, I'm saying this as a platinum Mariner who is so disenchanted with HAL that I have left a so called "free" cruise on the table....

Edited by StanandJim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stines said:

So, looking for some advice. Two similiar 14 night port-intensive itineraries to New Zealand in Jan 2020. Two (what will be) refreshed/renovated ships - Regatta and Noordam.  Noordam is about 1K more expensive with no additional benefits other than their standard Suite amenities. Oceania includes the OLife choice, but in an Outside cabin with picture window only.

 

I know HAL and O are VERY different in most aspects, but still debating which to choose?  Is the Neptune Suite experience really worth it vs. the overall Oceania experience?  Thanks for your thoughts. 

If you're allowed to order out for Oceania food, the HAL suite thing might be worth a 👀.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP have you cruised either line before? I’m a big believer in fit. We have good friends that are five star mariners and always book a Neptune Suite on HAL.  They’ve sailed Oceania I think three times in the Owners suite on R class and I think the Penthouse on Marina. They won’t sail on O again. It just wasn’t a good fit. They wanted better entertainment at night and a larger casino. Strangely, they’ve gravitated to Seabourn so it’s not the small ship that put them off. 

 

Think about what you like on a cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Sadly, the Neptune experience has been whittled down to a fragment of what it was.

Passengers must fetch 85% of the amenities for themselves.

The larger cabin is nice, but wasted on a port intensive itinerary.

FWIW, I'm saying this as a platinum Mariner who is so disenchanted with HAL that I have left a so called "free" cruise on the table....

I so agree with you! We’re 4 Star woopie🙄

and now coming over to O! First Noordam 

is one of HAL’s smaller ships but we have been on her before the renovation and in the NS! Go Fend for yourself. The staff is the only thing that makes it special. They now are cutting out what was one of the things sooooo special was breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill and substituting a place like a fish bowl called Orange Club where you can go for breakfast lunch and dinner!!

nothing special but still laundry service for you! Neptune lounge is a joke. Really for what your paying my suggestion is to do the R ship with O!! Port intensive you will be out and about all day plus the magnificent restaurants O life package to us you can’t go Wrong! Enjoy what ever you do but this is a honest view from me. We have been loyal HAL people since 2001 and

 now we are changing. 

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for all the input thus far!  Never sailed on O before but really like Azamara (same superstructure as Regatta).  Also have done HAL Neptune Suite before but it’s been probably 15 years.  We are also big fans of Seabourn but not crazy about itinerary early next year (or their sky high pricing!). Casino, shows, nightlife are not important... so right now, leaning towards giving O a try on this port-intensive route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

only you can decide 

I would give O  a try  then decide what works best for you

 

 We are not foodies,  rarely drink, sometimes go to the shows,  do not do ships tours 

what we like is  the smaller ships  with less pax   & the ambience on O works for us ...SO  FAR

 

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved the space that the HAL Neptune Suite provides. However, for me, that's where the quality of the "HAL experience" ended. The food and service were poor and not even close to that I experienced on Riviera - but as LHT28 said, "only you can decide".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm confused, which itineraries are you looking at? A 14 day Jan 2020 New Zealand R/T from Sydney in a Noordam NS is currently $3,464 pp. On the other hand, a one way from Sydney to Auckland or vice versa on the Regatta for their cheapest "cruise only" ocean view fare with no OLife is $5,399 pp. That really makes it a no brainer to pick the NS.

 

But, if you also added to the mix a 13 day Princess cruise similar to the Noordam on the Majestic Princess in a min-suite for $3,019 pp or a full suite for $5,059 pp, I would opt for that one as you will definitely have more fun onboard a Princess cruise. However, if you would like a more relaxing cruise while onboard, then I would opt for the much cheaper NS on the Noordam.

 

In any event have fun on your cruise, which ever one you choose!!!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm confused, which itineraries are you looking at? A 14 day Jan 2020 New Zealand R/T from Sydney in a Noordam NS is currently $3,464 pp. On the other hand, a one way from Sydney to Auckland or vice versa on the Regatta for their cheapest "cruise only" ocean view fare with no OLife is $5,399 pp. That really makes it a no brainer to pick the NS.

 

But, if you also added to the mix a 13 day Princess cruise similar to the Noordam on the Majestic Princess in a min-suite for $3,019 pp or a full suite for $5,059 pp, I would opt for that one as you will definitely have more fun onboard a Princess cruise. However, if you would like a more relaxing cruise while onboard, then I would opt for the much cheaper NS on the Noordam.

 

In any event have fun on your cruise, which ever one you choose!!!

Hi Ken - some of the big box agencies have some very attractive pricing on O, quite a bit less than what you see online.  I have a C1 *with OLife* for 7,600 and change, total for two.  That's a pretty attractive price I think.  Definitely leaning towards O - and some better news tonight... someone must have canceled in 7007 (one of the larger/extended outsides), and I was able to snag it with no increase in price since it's the same C1 category.  Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Princess vs. HAL. Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stines said:

Hi Ken - some of the big box agencies have some very attractive pricing on O, quite a bit less than what you see online.  I have a C1 *with OLife* for 7,600 and change, total for two.  That's a pretty attractive price I think.  Definitely leaning towards O - and some better news tonight... someone must have canceled in 7007 (one of the larger/extended outsides), and I was able to snag it with no increase in price since it's the same C1 category.  Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Princess vs. HAL. Interesting.

Sounds great! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds great! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise!! Have fun going across "The Ditch". We were on a Princess cruise on the Diamond in Jan 2017 when we saw a Regent Seven Seas ship about the same size as the Regatta going the other way towards Sydney and the 25+ foot waves were busting over the bow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, stines said:

Hi Ken - some of the big box agencies have some very attractive pricing on O, quite a bit less than what you see online.  I have a C1 *with OLife* for 7,600 and change, total for two.  That's a pretty attractive price I think.  Definitely leaning towards O - and some better news tonight... someone must have canceled in 7007 (one of the larger/extended outsides), and I was able to snag it with no increase in price since it's the same C1 category.  Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Princess vs. HAL. Interesting.

I’m so glad you got that👍👍👍

So Enjoy your wonderful trip!

Happy Sailings!

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stines, I echo Denise's thoughts.  Those extended outsides are great!  Lots of extra room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:46 AM, DeeniEncinitas said:

They now are cutting out what was one of the things sooooo special was breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill and substituting a place like a fish bowl called Orange Club where you can go for breakfast lunch and dinner!!

 

Denise, the Club Orange you are describing is only on the Pinnacle Class ships.

 

The Pinnacle Grill remains open for breakfast for Neptune Suite passengers on all of the other ship classes - S & R, Visa (of which the N is one) and the Signature class.

 

I agree with Cruise Junky - you need to find the cruise line(s) that FIT you 🙂 

 

You won’t know until you give it a try 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

Denise, the Club Orange you are describing is only on the Pinnacle Class ships.

 

The Pinnacle Grill remains open for breakfast for Neptune Suite passengers on all of the other ship classes - S & R, Visa (of which the N is one) and the Signature class.

 

I agree with Cruise Junky - you need to find the cruise line(s) that FIT you 🙂 

 

You won’t know until you give it a try 😉 

Thanks Jacqui! I was so worried because I thought with us in  NS on The Rotterdam we were going to miss out on what we think is so special😞Now I will do a happy dance😊 !!! You know sometimes I read so fast and it now comes back to me about the OC on The Pinnacle Class ships👍

Well in 2021 will be on The Koningsdam 

and it looks like OC!! MissG said she really likes it, but from pictures it still looks like a fish bowl. Oh well will see!

Thanks again Jacqui! Hope Jose and puppies are doing great today on a Sunday!

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am booked on two Holland cruises, 2019, and 2020, but am most excited about our Oceania trip in 2021. Love the food, and could care less about the shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I am booked on two Holland cruises, 2019, and 2020, but am most excited about our Oceania trip in 2021. Love the food, and could care less about the shows. 

Same here! We have our one HAL cruise next March and then a TA and Med cruise first time with O! I agree we don’t care for any shows but looking forward to the restaurants and our ports👍

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...